Golden Lion pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Golden Lion pub

Post by Pally »

Bunty wrote:Paid my 2nd visit to GL last Saturday eve, hoping for dinner. The pub was half empty and lit so brightly it doesn't give any warmth or create an atmosphere you want to stay in. Such a shame. The staff were aplenty but poor customer service. We sat with a menu on our table for a good 30 mins but nobody bothered asking if we wanted to order food. Rugby on large tv but no viewers. We left after one drink and ate at the Dolphin. I am willing the GL to succeed but they need encourage people to stay and spend money! Better lighting, friendly staff would be a good start.
I had a similar experience! There is definitely something not working here!!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad when bad service and perpetual sports TV drives people away.

I trust comments are read and acted upon.

I have been and left many pubs that think everyone wants to stare at inane sports commentary. I , like i am sure many others , like to talk in pubs.We do not need background TV or Bay City Rollers on the HI FI.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

The lighting needs to be soft and diffuse. No bare bulbs casting harsh hard light. The menu needs some pizaz. As does the presentation (everything on plain white plates does not cut it against the dolphin). And the tables need to be more random: there is a sight line right through as the tables are all at the edges
Pally

Post by Pally »

robbieduncan wrote:The lighting needs to be soft and diffuse. No bare bulbs casting harsh hard light. The menu needs some pizaz. As does the presentation (everything on plain white plates does not cut it against the dolphin). And the tables need to be more random: there is a sight line right through as the tables are all at the edges
Agreed!
Ewa

Post by Ewa »

Pally wrote:
Bunty wrote:Paid my 2nd visit to GL last Saturday eve, hoping for dinner. The pub was half empty and lit so brightly it doesn't give any warmth or create an atmosphere you want to stay in. Such a shame. The staff were aplenty but poor customer service. We sat with a menu on our table for a good 30 mins but nobody bothered asking if we wanted to order food. Rugby on large tv but no viewers. We left after one drink and ate at the Dolphin. I am willing the GL to succeed but they need encourage people to stay and spend money! Better lighting, friendly staff would be a good start.
Dear Pally,

We are sad to hear that you did not enjoy your visit at our pub.
There is no excuse for bad customer service and I understand your frustraition.
We are still undergoing relaunch process after re-openning few weeks ago.
We are building a new team and we are in process of trainning.
A perfect customer service and over all brilliant customer experience is a priority for us.
Sadly on that occassion we have failed to deliver and we have taken appropriate action to prevent situations like that from happening in the future.
We would love you to come back and give us another chance.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Ewa wrote:
Pally wrote:
Dear Pally,

We are sad to hear that you did not enjoy your visit at our pub.
There is no excuse for bad customer service and I understand your frustraition.
We are still undergoing relaunch process after re-openning few weeks ago.
We are building a new team and we are in process of trainning.
A perfect customer service and over all brilliant customer experience is a priority for us.
Sadly on that occassion we have failed to deliver and we have taken appropriate action to prevent situations like that from happening in the future.
We would love you to come back and give us another chance.
How nice to have a response from someone in management at the Golden Lion. I wonder if you have seen some of the other comments on this forum re ambience, lighting etc. Also re no menus being outside to tempt people in ...chal board maybe like at the Dolphin. I will be back at some point
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I agree with bunty - no issue with the bar staff but I too went to the dolphin mainly because of the harsh lighting and complete lack of feel .
It's great to see Ewa's response but for me the main issue will the atmosphere / decor which effectively drove us out after walking to the pub with the intention of spending some hard-earned on a meal which I suspect would have been perfectly decent .
I think the GL needs to bite the bullet and get in a designer followed by some good decorating and furnishing - otherwise it's going to be off limits to many of us I think - which would be a great shame .
A very good evening
Nigel
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Yes. Simple. Make it more cosy.

There are other pubs that cater for the sports/brightly lit pubs - but I get the impression that the Golden Lion is after another punter. So if they get that right, the right people will be attracted to the put because, overall, the décor in the G.L. is really good. Just needs 'calming' down a bit. A tweak or two.
biscuitman1978

Golden Lion pub

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I was at the Golden Lion on Thursday evening and I'm pleased to say that, compared to my visit shortly after re-opening:
- The music was quieter
- The music choice was much better - no more Eye of the Tiger :)
- The lighting was, I think, more subdued

Well done to the Golden Lion management!

The pub was also busy - my group got the last available table. A good sign and proof, I hope, that Sydenham high street can sustain more than one decent pub.
slull

Post by slull »

I'd second that biscuitman1978, went in this afternoon for Sunday lunch with family. Food was great, fantastic service and the lighting/music/atmosphere was lovely. We were served by a young American (I think) woman and I'd couldn't praise her enough.

Will definitely be back again soon.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Glad to see Sunday Lunch is doing well. We went on Friday lunchtime and it was empty, rather soulless and the food options limited and while they were fine, for the price were under par.

I really wanted to love the Golden Lion but it was better when Richard was there and will probably go elsewhere in the future. It's very sparse in side, a bit to big and open, it just doesn't feel very welcoming. They could do with more snug areas.

I agree, the lighting is a little better, as is the music than before, although the odd/naff multi change led lights are still behind the bar.

Still a way to go, especially with such hot competition in surrounding areas and across the road.
sparticus

Golden Lion

Post by sparticus »

It's such a shame. There is lots of examples from the likes of Antic to show how to use these large old pubs in a creative way that brings the punters in. But you have to get it right, and unfortunately the Golden Lion just misses the target. I can't see that it's making money and I fear it will end up boarded up, then suffer "developer's lightening" like the Copperfield in Catford and end up as a block of flats.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I was there also last Thursday for the first time. My experience was only positive. There was a decent choice of beers, the bar staff were really nice and helpful, friendly and the place was pretty full. It seemed to be doing fine though I didn't see anyone eating which is obviously a pity. Thought the lighting was fine.

Obviously now that they have more competition (from the new Beer Rebellion) it will be more of a struggle, but if they continue to listen to constructive criticism then things should build.

I really hope so, it deserves to succeed.
MasterFred

Post by MasterFred »

The bar staff are so lovely!

Especially two girls, one who is Irish I think and so friendly and kind every time I visit. And the other I think just went off to get married. I haven't seen her for a while but she was a real asset, friendly and fun. They both brought light to an otherwise boring and badly managed pub.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Had a coffee in the Golden Lion this morning with an old friend and I have to say it was lovely. Warm, spacious with comfy seats and great coffee and croissants. They have a good breakfast menu as well and I will definitely be popping in again - I hope they keep it up.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

first time in the Lion this morning, for a cup of coffee & a croissant this Sunday morning with my 3-yr-old son. nice coffee and a generally cosy atmosphere. I can't comment on what it's like as a pub proper (i.e. drinking pints in the evening), but they are doing breakfasts very well. Can recommend it as a good place for breakfast with a child in tow (though couldn't escape without buying Jnr a cupcake)