Car in Venner Square

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Re: Car in Venner Square

Post by simon »

I saw a notice on the car yesterday but it appears to have gone this morning. If it was the seven day notice do you think the car will be cleared before Saturday's market?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

C'mon guys and gals - the suggestion that this car should be moved manually before SEE3's Saturday's market with SAF Street Happenings needs to be organised, if LBL does not do it.

What's more important - moaning about an abandoned car or making it difficult for those who have signed up for the market whose presence surely we all want to see?

Please volunteer and turn up - I'm happy to join in - what time is best to get a team together to turn up? Friday evening at 6,7, 7.30 pm? Who is available to identify an immediate parking space and stand by to defend some 15 minutes before?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Pat

Is this legal ? I have no idea but sounds like it may not be.
Why cannot someone ascertain the legal. Why is this so difficult.

If car has been stolen then the Police would know. If Police not notified must assume legal owner dumped it there. Disgraceful.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Has the broken signpost been removed ? Once it is, there will no doubt be a jagged piece of metal sticking out of the pavement for someone to trip over. God forbid a child falls on it as they are often playing in the square.

As I've noticed, Lewisham does not seem to care about the safety of its Sydenham residents..
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

(i'm not a lawyer but) I don't see anything illegal about picking up a car and moving it 10 feet or so down the road.

If it was my car I'd be annoyed, but if no (further) damage done to the car, nothing I can do about it is there?

6pm Friday night sounds ok with me.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

6pm it is them. Good call Pat.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Great - 6pm! Let's make sure Sydenham Market takes place on Saturday as organised.

It's not going to be clean work, maybe we'll need a few extra hands so if 6.30 is more convenient then so be it. If a slightly later time is better, speak now!

We probably need another 2 or 3 more volunteers. It's a poor show if the local community cannot sort this little problem out. The market is more important than an abandoned rusting bit of metal. Time will be confirmed on Thursday and will depend on response.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Fantastic!

We will be away but otherwise we wld be the first there - absolutely no point in moaning about things and not doing anything about it. I do wish I could have joined in though, however much I will love the sight of hot air balloons flying over Bristol over the next few days... good luck and have fun, folks.
biscuitman1978

Car in Venner Square

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Happy to help, but I can't get there until 6:30pm.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Ok - I thought 6..30pm Friday evening might be more appropriate.

Hopefully LBL will resolve this latest problem in our high street, but otherwise it's up to us - So see you Friday evening at Venner Road Sq.

Meanwhile- all hands on deck at 6.30 pm
with an advance party identifying and securing a meanwhile suitable local parking space. for the miscreant vehicle owned by who knows whom,
parker

Post by parker »

Push it a few yards onto the middle of Sydenham Road and have Lewisham take it from there.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Pat Trembath wrote:the miscreant vehicle owned by who knows whom,
The number plate is Y536YKE, so presumably the police - or someone in Lewisham Council? - is able to look this up on DVLA.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

It's showing as insured. Should the insurers not have recovered it by now? When I've had accidents my insurers had the car recovered the same day
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

It is also taxed until 1 November and has an MOT until 20th May. Unfortunately I can't find out who insurs it or owns it using public information sources
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

robbieduncan wrote:It's showing as insured. Should the insurers not have recovered it by now? When I've had accidents my insurers had the car recovered the same day

Unless it's insured 3rd Party, Fire & Theft and the owner is at fault, in which case the insurance company won't care.
biscuitman1978

Car in Venner Square

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Pat Trembath wrote:Ok - I thought 6..30pm Friday evening might be more appropriate.

Hopefully LBL will resolve this latest problem in our high street, but otherwise it's up to us - So see you Friday evening at Venner Road Sq.

Meanwhile- all hands on deck at 6.30 pm
with an advance party identifying and securing a meanwhile suitable local parking space. for the miscreant vehicle owned by who knows whom,
A quick reminder that we need as many people as possible to gather to shift the abandoned car in Venner Square this evening.

See you at 6:30pm.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In a meeting in North West London so probably wont make it back in time.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

will be there if I can.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Sorry, at Thorpe Park with the kids.....
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Cllrs Best and Onikosi have been trying to get this car removed all week. It is confirmed that if the car has valid tax which it has, the abandoned vehicle department of the Council is unable to remove the vehicle.

Latest information received from Lewisham is that the Sydenham Safer Neighbourhood Team have been dealing with this matter. It is understood the owner is unwell and unable to move the vehicle. He has also informed the SNT that it only has insurance for 3 days. If this is correct the police are the only ones that can remove the vehicle. A confirmation of this is awaited.

Although I have photographed this car from all angles to show the condition it is in before it is removed - surely a write-off? - it would appear that we would be breaking the law if we take matters into our hands. I think our car-shifting team (those who are left) will therefore have to stand down. Pity