Meeting re Kirkdale issues?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marianne

Meeting re Kirkdale issues?

Post by marianne »

Could someone please tell me if there is a meeting this evening at Alhambra? I think I saw a notice in a shop a while ago saying that Councillor Upex et al would be attending a meeting to discuss what can be done with Kirkdale ... but haven't seen anything about it on this forum. I could, of course, have been dreaming! :oops:

Thanks
Marianne
marianne

Re: Meeting re Kirkdale issues?

Post by marianne »

It's ok - just been informed the notice was for last year! It's in the empty Fancy Dress shop ..... :roll:
parker

Post by parker »

What are the issues?
NawhalPA

Post by NawhalPA »

I'd say the number of shops left unfilled is probably the key one. Now that IBS has been flushed out, it joins the Costume Shop, the ruined Windmill, the mysterious Shapes, and a bunch of boarded up properties as local monuments to the success of the gov.t's Longterm Economic Plan.
Many others are far more knowledgeable about local retail initiatives that have been attempted, and the success of 161 shows what is possible. Does anyone know of any efforts underway to respond to the vacant lots, or otherwise rejuvinate the area?
Thanks,
PA
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I've been to the planning permission in the old costume shop is regarding a potential small cookery school/shop and tea rooms/cafe type of business but I'm not sure how far away this is from happening.

The bakery always seemed to get positive reviews and have people in so I'm not sure if it was due to higher rents, the income just not doing as well as it may have appeared or other but I totally agree that a decent, well run business, ideally offering something unique/different would be successful. Again not sure about actual facts/figures but fig and pistachio (French coffee shop with some pastries/quiches and deli like goods), 161(wine bar/tapas like food), hibagon (Japanese restaurant) and Emmanuel Marshall (Children's shoe shop) all have very positive reviews/feedback and seem to be doing well from the outset.

Not quite sure how to go about attracting businesses unless you were thinking about doing something yourself or you knew people personally!..
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The cookery school and tea shop in the old costume shop has been struggling with planning and various objections to bits of their planning via the planning committee of the Sydenham Society (some of which I think is over zealous). It's cost them quote a lot of money in delays unfortunately. We managed to design and get a coffee shop opened in much less time in a conservation area and a listed building in North London sorted with planning and their signage/branding etc.

Areas need help to flourish. Strong traders groups, support from civic societies, cllrs etc all helps, but they also need to be marketed to the right businesses and the right market conditions put in place, along with willing landlords to really flourish.

The pop ups really helped with a number of businesses in Sydenham and can be given most of the credit for most of the exciting changes in Sydenham today. A large part of tho was marketing based, connections, networking etc.

I was surprised the bakery lasted so long, often it seemed shut, it didn't really make you want to stop your car when driving past and go inside (Pistachio and 161 do), and when I did try their goods after becoming the IBS fakery (it was far better before), I threw the cake away after two bites. It's a shame, I'd wanted it to be good, but in my experience at least, it wasn't and I never stopped there again.

Luckily, Kirkdale has some excellent businesses

I can't wait to try Hibagon though.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Easy to criticise, Lee.

The Sydenham Society was initially supportive.

However the question of health and safety for a cookery school with 4 cookers in the main "retail area" with an enclosed space behind for toilets, storage, washing up etc needs to be addressed seriously for Health and Safety reasons.

The recently enclosed space to the rear was once an area where waste bins were stored with access onto Wells Park Road for cllection for all the retail units behind this Grade 2 listed building. The result of this space being closed off is the plethora of waste bins on the street in front of a listed building. When this space was closed off and whether there was approval for this needs to be questioned.
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

I wouldn't be bothered trying to set up a business round here. It's a bureaucratic nightmare...
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

I agree that every time a new business tries to open they seem to face an uphill battle to get planning permission. I'm sure that everyone has the area's best interests at heart, but it seems to be having a really negative impact.

In the last year or so we seem to have missed out on new convenience stores on Kirkdale and by Forest Hill station, a pizzeria on Dartmouth Road and now potentially the cookery school on Kirkdale. I'm sure that the demand exists for all of those businesses to have thrived and I would certainly have welcomed them
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

New planning application for the Windmill in Kirkdale:

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_79428

It retains the pub (although smaller, which is probably a good thing) and an A3 use unit next door. The current building is incredibly ugly, and it's good that it's saving the pub in a more manageable size and another possible place to eat to compliment the other new businesses in Kirkdale which surely is a good thing, but it's a shame the plans aren't more interesting and fitting of place.
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

I'm delighted with the plans - the sooner we can get the site back in use the better. Combined with the potential council improvement plans mentioned elsewhere hopefully this part of Kirkdale could be much improved in the next couple of years

I also noticed that these plans appear to be proposed by someone connected with Antic Pubs which is hopefully good news
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I'm really glad this has been raised, albeit in an informal way on the forum. I am not a shop owner, plan to be one or are affiliated with any in the area but on a number of occasions I have been made aware publicly (like here) or privately of concerns regarding all the red tape/bureaucracy etc involved in certain elements of local businesses.

I actually wrote a lengthy post but decided against posting it as didn't want it to offend anyone by accident and didn't want it to be a vague can of worms to be opened.

I just think from my point of view that if there are a number of concerns then it may be worth/require some further discussion. Sure, all the "red tape/bureaucracy" may all be entirely just and appropriate but equally the more than one-off occasion I've seen/heard complaints from various sources makes me think maybe there could be a better way to support promotion of local businesses. I don't know anything about Things like this but if a business would like to take an empty shop and would benefit the local community then the local authorities should be actively working alongside the business to promote and support it to happen.