Mopeds

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Matthew

Mopeds

Post by Matthew »

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, although I've visited for information many times since I moved to SE26 in 2012.

Unfortunately this is not a happy post.

I live in Lower Sydenham and recently I have noticed a huge number of teenagers on mopeds and even quad bikes around Sainsbury's, on Kangley Bridge Road, Kent House Lane and the High Street. Apart from the noise, the kids are frequently going too fast and riding dangerously, doing wheelies up and down residential streets.

I have spoken to the local police about this. I also wrote to the council but no reply.

I wondered whether anyone else had noticed an increase in this behaviour, and whether anyone would be interested in signing an "open letter" to the council asking for more to be done to tackle dangerous and anti social driving in our area?

Matthew
Parker1970

Re: Mopeds

Post by Parker1970 »

Well I live up by Sydenham station above the shops on the high street and can concur, they come down through here every weekend and sometimes midweek in the evenings, very loud and in large groups. This of course is not breaking any laws, but I am not sure if what they are doing in Sainsbury's car park is. They do certainly seem to be rather inconsiderate when driving, revving and driving at high revs to make as much noise as possible but it does seem to have picked up with the summer months, hopefully it will calm down again soon now autumn is upon us. For a while at least.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Well I've seen them running the red lights at the Newlands Park junction with the High Street!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks - yes, the noise is annoying but not breaking any laws. However, I've seen several of the mopeds do not have number plates and the riders are not wearing helmets but balaclavas. Also, quad bikes are usually not licensed for on-road use.

I'm concerned by the speed and dangerousness of some of the riding - as we go into school holidays and there are more children out and about, it only takes one of these kids to make a mistake and there could be very serious consequences.

I'm going to write to the council again, and hopefully get an answer this time!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Riding (cutting across) on the pavement is against the law - I have seen this a couple of times whilst out running in the morning (early) .
General behaviour / ride style is of an intimidating "I own the road" fashion. I am sure it is fun....not sure where the nearest "off road" facility might be for them to get their kicks?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Riding (cutting across) on the pavement is against the law - I have seen this a couple of times whilst out running in the morning (early) .
General behaviour / ride style is of an intimidating "I own the road" fashion. I am sure it is fun....not sure where the nearest "off road" facility might be for them to get their kicks?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Seen them without helmets. Saw one last weekend go straight through the red lights at the pedestrian crossing at the top of the high street nearly hitting some crossing pedestrians then straight through the red lights at the junction. Clearly had no care for anyone else. Unfortunately was not hit by another driver executing a legitemit manoeuvre. Hopefully Darwinism will catch up with them soon
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

It's been a growing problem for a while and is really unpleasant. A few weeks ago I was walking up Kangley Bridge Rd to Lower Syd station and a large group of guys on mopeds all shot up there riding on the pavement. It was the opposite side to where I was, but there was a young woman walking there and they took no notice, even when she cried out in fright as each bike shot past her, just an inch or two away. It's deliberate and intimidating.

To the OP - fair play, I absolutely applaud you for trying to do something about it.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Absolutely agree - good idea to draw attention to this .
There must be at least 4 laws broken ( no helmets , red lights , riding dangerously on pavement , no registration plate )
I suspect with a spot of digging there will be a host of other offences like no insurance or licence .
I suspect also wearing a balaclava hints at a spot of wealth redistribution too but that's just conjecture based on willingness to flout law , aggressive behaviour and lack of empathy for people who are bullied out of the way .

I do hope the police pull them over before someone is hurt or killed . There is a reason why we have a road traffic act .
A very good morning
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It beggars belief that these allegedly hard up teenagers can afford to buy and insure and run a moped.

Everyone seems to be saying they have no money. Interesting.
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

I agree with everyone and have also witnessed them speeding through red lights on the high street (by that junction with Newlands Park that has a pedestrian dual system too). All the police have to do is sit in unmarked cars and observe and it should be easy pickings to place warrants , shouldn't it? What are they waiting for, a fatality? Sooner or later they will hit a pedestrian.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I had a thought that:

If anyone spotting an offence on the high street were to take a note of the exact time and place, it might be possible to identify them on the TFL cameras, assuming they record things and aren't just real time.

I can't say the noise bothers me as it's usually instantaneous and a two-second Doppler effect noise.

However, riding that might endanger others - not so good. I've seen odd ones roaring along the high street with, I suspect, little ability to stop if a hazard presented.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

But? Insure? Have a license? Care if they are caught? Expect any real punishment?

No to all I guess
mosy

Post by mosy »

Well you've especially got me on the last one: "real punishment" and by extension - deterrent. So I guess everyone is just supposed to bunny hop out of the way, which is perhaps easy for some, impossible for many categories of people.

You raise a good question though: What can be done effectively? Me not know :(
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

mosy wrote:Well you've especially got me on the last one: "real punishment" and by extension - deterrent. So I guess everyone is just supposed to bunny hop out of the way, which is perhaps easy for some, impossible for many categories of people.

You raise a good question though: What can be done effectively? Me not know :(
If they are stolen then taking them away won't matter to them. If they have no licenses then points won't matter. If they are on benefits/have low incomes fines won't matter as they will be paid at an insultingly low per week amount

So that leaves loss of liberty: tags or jail
mosy

Post by mosy »

Tags or jail unlikely if deemed a misdemeanour to avoid paperwork or court time. Sorry, bee in bonnet that of course crime is reducing if fewer things are recorded as crimes.

Perhaps the best punishment would be to make a rider stand there with feet nailed to the floor (as mums with buggies etc pretty much are) and have bikes ride at him/her? See how they like it eh? Not that I'm advocating such, just that I wonder if they consider what it's like to have the boot on the other foot.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I agree. Jail or even tagging is not likely. Which the perps know hence the lack of worry over punishment. I like you idea. Maybe some more medieval punishment would work: stocks in the pocket squares?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stocks a great idea. The only way to punish is to lose face.

Pocket squares. Well I agree hardly St Mark's or Red Square.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

They've been doing it for years - pretty much as long as I've lived in Sydenham (10 years) which means they're all ten years older. Sad 30 year old men racing around on their little bikes, sounding like distant angry wasps.

I fear it's all they've got in their little lives. They get home, have a bite to eat - and it's out on the mopeds again!

What fulfilled lives they lead.

They're harmless, I suppose, but mainly just annoying - but let's face it, they'll be an accident or a collision at some point. These are the sorts of things police need to clamp down on.

Irritants.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

sydenhamboy wrote:They're harmless, I suppose
No they are not. Going through pedestrian crossings without slowing whilst people are crossing. Riding on pavements. These are dangerous actions.

Let's not brush this off as a few idiots having fun. These are common criminals endangering the public