Attempted Scooter Theft - Off Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Storrsman

Attempted Scooter Theft - Off Kirkdale

Post by Storrsman »

Wanted to warn other vehicle owners!

I live off Kirkdale (Fransfield Grove) and last night (Sunday 4th Nov) interrupted two thief’s (Young Kids) trying to steal my scooter at 2am. The thief’s clearly knew what they were doing and were attempting to hot wire the bike. Unfortunately I disturbed the thief’s before calling the police and they both ran off. The police scanned the area and returned to discuss within 20 mins but clearly the thief’s had gone.

The bike is damaged bits ripped off etc but luckily its still useable; I will endeavour to increase the security I use. The thief’s both ran in the direction of Sydenham Wells.

I wish parents would take more responsibility the youths were less than 16 wondering the streets at 2am on a Sunday night.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yh your right about the parents. You should put a describtion on the website incase anybody knows who they are it's worth a try.
Storrsman

Post by Storrsman »

**UPDATE**

Scooter has now been finally nicked!

Tried extra security but all in vain. Whats more worrying is the fact it was stolen in broad daylight whilst i was at work. Police were very unhelpful!

Hey ho - Back to the train for me... Joy
stuart

Post by stuart »

I'm very sorry to hear you have lost it despite extra security. I remember two or three years back an idea to use an old mobile phone with a payg sim secreted in a car as a cheap stolen vehicle locator (or lost wife locator). This using one of the many SIM locator services.

It of course relies on an electrical supply from the vehicle and not being obvious. Maybe impractical for a scooter. And of course you might only get a fix within a 100 yards or so. But if its still in one piece that might be enough.

Back to the train? Have you thought of taking up running. 8 miles twice each day will keep you slim, get in fine fettle for the odd marathon, is even cheaper and you are unlikely to get stolen. But you do need a shower at work or very forgiving workmates. Its faster than the 176, less crowded than the train ...

Stuart
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

mate, have a good look around the wells park estate and sydenham hill estates for your ped as most if not all nicked scooters are dumped around there and if you decide to get another scooter and have no alternative but too leave it on the pavement, Metropolis bikes in vauxhall can fit a good imobilizer that comes with a deafening alarm that will wake up new scotland yard. Years ago I worked for pizza hut in forest hill and delivered to fransfield grove and pikeys were always trying to nick the bike but when we had that gizmo fitted it all stopped. good luck.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Sorry to hear you had your scooter taken :(

Have you thought about renting a garage? We have two motorbikes and would now not leave them on the street. A measure we did take before we had the garage was to screw a ground anchor in the wall and chain them to this.. That worked with no problems..
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Just to add, what was it like and the reg then maybe people can keep an eye out for it..