Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights/Beer Rebellion

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Bovine Juice

Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights/Beer Rebellion

Post by Bovine Juice »

https://twitter.com/Late_Knights/status ... 3730714624

A Beer Rebellion opening somewhere in Sydenham next week
iandavenport

Re: Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights

Post by iandavenport »

Glad i didn't dream that - saw it flash up on my timeline, but when I followed it up the lead went nowhere - lets hope theres something afoot - Greyhound maybe?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's not a dead end - there are two posts on the @sydenhambr account. One is a photo. Looks a lot like TSR Marketplace.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Others have suggested MArketplace too on the Penge Tourist Board fb group. Good for me if so, only 10 mins walk.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

There's an address on their Twitter page: 167 Sydenham Road SE26. Yep, Marketplace!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's great news!
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

There are hoping to have it open for next Thursday. Good news.
Search East

Post by Search East »

This is great news, even better as I won't have to cross the main road to get there from Champion Rd. Always useful if I've enjoyed their ales a bit too much! :D
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes, this is super exciting. They really bring something to the high street. They're very community focussed and family focussed. I think that the addition of them with also give the Dolphin (which I like) more business, I know they were gutted when the previous Late Knights venue fell through as they thought ultimately it will bring them more business keeping people in the area. The Golden Lion I can't speak for. I have yet to be convinced. But I'm not a sports fan.

...apart from Wales this weekend...

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

G Man

I agree with you. I am sure there are some who like watching end to end sport but there are also many who hate it.

A Pub should be about good beer and convivial discussion ( not loud music and 24/7 sport. )

The GL should be sure what market they are aiming at .
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Great news. Something to look forward to as the dark nights start to creep in. I wish this venture all the very best....

On a related subject.... any news on the Alexandra publich house please folks? I'd hoped to have a festive pint in there if it opened before Christmas, but is that overly optimistic?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

There's a really fantastic group on facebook called the Penge Tourist Board, someone on there said it will be open in December. LK twitter feed also said similar to a few locals. It's great all this is happening. Makes me love living here again to be honest.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pengetouristboard/

Shame Syders hasn't got similar to the Tourist Board. Although, to be fair, PTB talks about us too.

And Eagle - I look forward to having a pint and a chinwag in one of these new establishments at some point.

G-Man
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

did I miss something?!

What happened to the old "SEE Bluebell Woods" place on Kent House Road?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Penge Tourist Board are great. I don't think it would work here (there is a South Norwood Tourist Board too). There is lots of creative, exciting community based stuff going on in Penge.
biscuitman1978

Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Bovine Juice wrote:There's an address on their Twitter page: 167 Sydenham Road SE26. Yep, Marketplace!
Indeed!

And if you want more information, the planning application for change of use to a bar (for which permission was granted in September) is available at http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ - search for 'DC/15/92989', without quotation marks.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

leenewham wrote:There is lots of creative, exciting community based stuff going on in Penge.
Really? I didn't think it was that sort of place.
All silvery in frosty Sunday nights
Were City steeples white against the stars
And narrowly the chasms wound between
Italianate counting-houses, Roman banks
To this church and to that. Huge office-doors,
Their granite thresholds worn by weekday feet
(Now far away in slippered ease at Penge)
Stood locked.

(John Betjeman, Summoned by Bells.)
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

leenewham wrote:The Penge Tourist Board are great. I don't think it would work here (there is a South Norwood Tourist Board too). There is lots of creative, exciting community based stuff going on in Penge.
Why do you think it would not work here Lee? I think the PTB is great and very supportive of their local businesses.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Robin
Just a thought - you are mixing up " place" with " people " . I caught the end of the penge day and was very impressed with what they put together .
Those people were making penge a better place I think
A very good evening
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

JRobinson wrote:did I miss something?!

What happened to the old "SEE Bluebell Woods" place on Kent House Road?
I don't know but that was a lovely shop (including when it was in the shop near the station as well) and I think its a great shame it has gone. However I don't think the Kent House shops are a great location - off the main street, reduced footfall etc.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

sugahill cafe wrote:
leenewham wrote:The Penge Tourist Board are great. I don't think it would work here (there is a South Norwood Tourist Board too). There is lots of creative, exciting community based stuff going on in Penge.
Why do you think it would not work here Lee? I think the PTB is great and very supportive of their local businesses.
I think the PTB are great too. As you know I'm all for business coming together, especially being creatively led. The Penge Tourist Board seem to be the main group, so get things done, and have the support of influential local figures and work well with the council. They have some really good people involved.

I think here there will be tensions between the Sydenham Society, Arts Festival and local cllrs which will mean that it will be more difficult to get things done here.

I'm not saying don't do it, I just think it will be more difficult. It's far easier with one body, one head, one vision rather than 3!