Parking problems

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Re: Parking problems

Post by Chris Best »

We discussed car parking concerns at the last Sydenham Assembly on Tuesday 8 March and there were views both for and against any CPZ in Sydenham. This is a challenge in trying to meet all resident’s needs and preferences in the context of the Council’s aims and objectives to promote sustainable transport policies including reducing car usage in town centres.

In talking to officers they are going to look again at the request from Sydenham residents and where the roads are that residents have raised a concern regarding parking of cars. On Lewisham Council’s web site there is a link for issues to be raised and this is where the officers gather the data to compare the demand from areas across the borough.

When we carried out the last CPZ consultation in Sydenham, around 10 years ago, the vote was around 70% against and I hear that the recent consultation in Forest Hill was also against. There really does need to be good support for a CPZ as the officers will only spend £50k on the public consultation if there is a significant level of demand and some evidence of a positive result. There is the officer time involved and with central Government budget pressures we have cut Lewisham’s staff in half in recent years we are also under pressure with workloads.

I can understand the frustration when people can’t park near their front door but there has been an increase in the volume of cars trying to park in the side roads. It is not uncommon for some households to have multiple cars so it is not easy to manage parking with this increasing pressure for the fixed amount of kerbside.

Over the past few years I am aware of issues on the west side of Sydenham Road below the railway line regarding commuters going to Penge East for the Victoria Line as well as parking to use Sydenham Station – that covers Venner, Homecroft, Newlands, Tannsfeld and Girton Roads. We have the east side for Sydenham with issues raised by those closest to the station in The Thorpes and Silverdale and parking by residents who live in flats above the shops on the high street. We then have the roads above the high street with station commuters – Lawrie Park area and Spring Hill up to Peak Hill. One of the reasons why some residents would not support a CPZ is the issue of displacement. Those living just outside a CPZ area have concerns that they will not be able to park so the problem is moved a little further away.

Other residents who would not support a CPZ raised the issue of the cost of the resident permit plus visitor permits as well as the provision of designated parking spaces for people are visiting the area.

The traders would not wish to see a drop in footfall if it became too difficult for short stay parking. I think shoppers find the free parking for a 40 minute stay attractive and give enough time to call in to a shop – with longer parking times available in Girton Road car park.

The Council is promoting sustainable transport policies and the London Plan does not require car parking spaces for homes in the town centre. I think this is one of those thorny issues where we need to get residents talking about different transport methods and whether car clubs could be given a higher profile as well as improving bus routes and safe cycle routes.

Once the report on the outcome of the Forest Hill Consultation is completed I will post a link so we can consider the findings.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Would it be possible to have a CPZ covering both the Lewisham and Bromley parts of the roads between Sydenham and Penge East? Those roads are used by commuter parkers, I can identify several. New double yellow lines are appearing on the junction between which will reduce spaces even further, but at least make the junction safer.

It's all very well trying to get folk to try alternative transport but I think the residents are truly fed up and I would hope support a CPZ.
mikej

Post by mikej »

well it might Suzee, but not simultaneously.
As I see it, if a CPZ was established on one side of the boundary (Bromley/Lewisham) then the commuter parkers would flood the other side. Leading to a strong demand on that side for a CPZ too.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mike
I agree partly although if a CPZ , for example , brought in the Lewisham side this will deter many selfish parkers as there would be limited spaces on Ponge side.

I spent my first 20 odd years in Venner Road when hardly a car was parked. Much nicer road than now.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Tomorrow's going to be a lot of fun. We were informed on Friday afternoon that there would be no parking or unloading or anything between 8am and 5pm on Monday. We're on Tredown Rd. So all the cars on our street will have to find somewhere else to park themselves...
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Eagle wrote:Mike
I agree partly although if a CPZ , for example , brought in the Lewisham side this will deter many selfish parkers as there would be limited spaces on Ponge side.

I spent my first 20 odd years in Venner Road when hardly a car was parked. Much nicer road than now.
Ponge? Typographical error or Freudian slip Eagle? Whichever, it made me chuckle.

Whatever takes place re CPZ'S I'm hoping Peak Hill Gardens is the tranche rolled out first. 12.00 to 14.00 resident's parking only will cut the commuter parking to zero at a stroke. Surely LB Lewisham can't ignore this growing problem?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

monkeyarms wrote:Tomorrow's going to be a lot of fun. We were informed on Friday afternoon that there would be no parking or unloading or anything between 8am and 5pm on Monday. We're on Tredown Rd. So all the cars on our street will have to find somewhere else to park themselves...
Agree! Nothing like last minute notice. I don't quite understand why they've painted some new double yellows already but the road will be resurfaced tomorrow.

On the subject of the Venner Road area.... The borough boundary runs along Tredown Road but I think Lewisham looks after the road itself, though the south side actually has Bromley for tax, bins etc. That whole area is a nightmare to park on so any CPZ needs to cover the roads in both boroughs. We live on Tredown but close to Byne so regularly park there, though different boroughs.
We moved here in 2012 and I remember thinking how easy it was to park. I think part of the problem now is folk parking for the Overground... and I recognise estate agents, shop owners/workers regularly parking here.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Cannot understand why LBL so reluctant to CPZ the whole borough.

Great source of revenue and the anti social parkers will have to board a train close to their origin point.

Yes Border is NOW Tredown. In the 50's and early 60's border used to be about 5 or so properties along towards Ponge East. No 88a comes to mind but could be wrong.

Come on Lewisham CPZ's everywhere , say 300.00 a year to park. What could be better.
SandyP

Post by SandyP »

I think Suzee has a point about Overground users, in fact I think a key issue is the current disruption to trains into and out of London Bridge during the Thameslink extension works, it's forcing people to use different train lines/stations, just to get to work. The Penge East line is definitely way busier as a result. 2 yrs ago you could get a seat but not now. Maybe things will get easier once the works are over.
harrym

Post by harrym »

I agree wholeheartedly with some of the previous suggestions. Why waste money with consultations which simply put off the inevitable introduction of controlled parking zones. The city's population is increasing at its fastest rate and car users are on the rise. Every other area I visit in London has CPZs so why we don't is a mystery. According to the website, the council's first official priority when it comes to parking is to residents. At the moment we are getting a v raw deal. If everybody had permit parking it would increase council revenue (no brainer at this time surely) and I think could also encourage people to walk short journeys into the high street - which is a local town centre and also well served by busses and trains for those travelling further afield. Plus still has that massive free underused car park too. Just do it Lewisham and put us all out of our misery! Pleaaaaaaaaaase!
Willy

Post by Willy »

Looks like cars are being moved from Tredown Road by truck...if anyone is missing a silver Corsa, one has just been deposited on Maitland Road.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Lewisham seem especially squeamish about bring in CPZ's

They are 100% required throughout the borough and the charge would pay for strict enforcement.

To rent a garage is usually about 100.00 per month so say 35.00 to park in the road would be a bargain.

Come on Council get moving.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Chris Best wrote: When we carried out the last CPZ consultation in Sydenham, around 10 years ago, the vote was around 70% against and I hear that the recent consultation in Forest Hill was also against.
The position in FH might be slightly different, as I suspect that rather more FH residents have off-street parking.

One factor in the FH consultation, we were told, is that employees in local businesses (including schools) relied on street parking if they were to get to work in the morning. Not many staff car parks nowadays. Might that be an issue in Sydenham?
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Willy wrote:Looks like cars are being moved from Tredown Road by truck...if anyone is missing a silver Corsa, one has just been deposited on Maitland Road.
Only the one car - the car parked in the 'Car Club' space.
It actually hasn't been all that painful - more notice would have been nice, but I was expecting to have to park miles away and in the end found a space just round the corner this morning
_HB

Post by _HB »

Robin Orton wrote:One factor in the FH consultation, we were told, is that employees in local businesses (including schools) relied on street parking if they were to get to work in the morning. Not many staff car parks nowadays. Might that be an issue in Sydenham?
That's completely bogus. No-one (with very few exceptions) should be driving to work in Sydenham.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

_HB wrote: No-one (with very few exceptions) should be driving to work in Sydenham.
I'd be interested to hear what e.g. teachers at Holy Trinity and Eliot Bank had to say about that.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Likewise. What is so special about the teaching profession? Is there a higher than usual ratio of chronic bone idleness than the rest of the population?
marymck

Post by marymck »

Lewisham's CPZs hit the disabled especially badly. If a blue badge holder can drive themselves and they own a car and live within a CPZ then they can apply for exemption from the £120 per year charge for a CPZ permit. However, if they are too disabled to drive and rely on others to drive them, though they are still entitled to a blue badge, they can't get exemption from the fees. Lewisham do not allow blue badge holders to park without a residents' permit in the CPZ, as blue badge exemption from parking rules doesn't apply to residents' spaces.

The recent FH consultation was carried out only in those streets where a CPZ was going to be imposed. NOT in the neighbouring streets, where those decanted from any CPZ would then park. Unless a CPZ applies across the whole of the country, in every single street and in every single borough, it won't work. A limited CPZ is just being unneighbourly and saying sod you and moving the problem to the next street, or borough.

On the other hand, the council and schools should be doing something about the totally unnecessary school run. We subsidize every single child in London to have free bus travel. A luxury that most children in the rest of the country (i.e. out there in the Real World) don't have. A combination of free bus travel and cotton wool wrapped children being driven to and from school just fuels childhood obesity and makes travelling on buses greasy with fried chicken deeply unpleasant for the rest of us.
harrym

Post by harrym »

To help our town be a thriving vibrant place where people want to live and work we need it designed for everybody, young and old.
Last edited by harrym on 12 Apr 2016 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
_HB

Post by _HB »

marymck wrote:The recent FH consultation was carried out only in those streets where a CPZ was going to be imposed. NOT in the neighbouring streets, where those decanted from any CPZ would then park. Unless a CPZ applies across the whole of the country, in every single street and in every single borough, it won't work. A limited CPZ is just being unneighbourly and saying sod you and moving the problem to the next street, or borough.
Strikes me as a very lame excuse for inaction. If there is a problem in a street, or a few streets, get the CPZ implemented. If that creates problems in the neighbouring streets then it is on the councillors and residents to decide if they want a CPZ too. And so on.