Irish Travellers - 154-158 Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
underflux

Irish Travellers - 154-158 Sydenham Road

Post by underflux »

Irish Travellers illegally broke into the commercial property that myself and three other live-in guardians were protecting on Wednesday last week. It was terrifying to say the least. And we were left with no option than to leave the place that we legally live in, and rent, whilst the laws that be, create the powers to remove them forcibly. The commercial property is derelict, so any mess they make will be very minimal. I don't know if any of the community has had any direct dealings with them whilst they have been there, but I'd avoid them at all costs. They are extremely aggressive and intimidating.

It's struck me how the Police actually have very little powers in these situations, as the travellers are plotted on commercial private land. Irish Travellers are very adept at exploiting loopholes in the law. They cut the locks off two security gates, and destroyed the evidence, so the Police could not prove it was 'breaking and entering'. They would also need to prove who it was. There is CCTV on the main road, so I've no idea why they couldn't see that. It's in plain view. Even when there has been evidence of the threat of violence the Police could do nothing. Also, all the Travellers put up a Squatters Right notice, which in the case of commercial properties, even the Police cannot enter the property and would be in breach of the law themselves. Myself and fellow live-in guardians, are holed up in a hotel. We don't even know if our possessions are safe. We tried negotiating entrance to the site to collect some of our possessions last night. This didn't work, and we were confronted by them, this time brandishing metal bars and wrenches. Not even this allows the Police to do anything. It is quite frankly ridiculous. I can appreciate that they are an ethnic minority, and choose this nomadic way of life, and I believe everyone has the right to human rights, and to be able to choose how they live. But when I've had direct dealings with them, I'm struggling with how I feel about that. They don't have any dignity. They don't integrate into any part of our society, and they barely look after themselves. Anyway, there is an eviction notice that has been served and apparently bailiffs and a strong Police presence is being organised for today. I'll wait and see. On the whole, the Police have been understanding and supportive of us and too us. I just feel that something must be done around the laws, and legislation to allow Police more powers in these situations, rather than leaving it up to bailiffs to do the job.
Whiftoff

Re: Irish Travellers - 154-158 Sydenham Road

Post by Whiftoff »

It that where this development is happening? Didn't realise how big the site is.

http://www.familymosaicsales.co.uk/medi ... -lewisham/
underflux

Post by underflux »

It certainly is. Apparently, current site is due to be demolished in January.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have made a post in Town Asylum about this thread: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14209 which I have split. Please keep comments here strictly to the events at 154-158 Sydenham Road.

More general comments on Irish Travellers should be made in the Town Pub (you have to be a logged in member to view): https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=14207

Admin
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

To the OP, if you read this - you mentionioned having lost your possessions. Unless this has changed, perhaps you could post here and let the community know if there is anything you need that might be donated?

Many friends of mine have been guardians - I can well appreciate the situation must have been terrifying.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hissing Syd wrote:To the OP, if you read this - you mentionioned having lost your possessions. Unless this has changed, perhaps you could post here and let the community know if there is anything you need that might be donated? ...[clip...
<-- Absolutely.

The law on squatters, from the little I know about it, seems decidedly inadequate as it currently stands.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy
I agree the Law stuck in the Dark Ages.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Actually, it seems to be the exact opposite (sorry an' all that) as squatters now seem to have more rights than legal owners and that can't be right. I imagine they'd have been given short shrift in the Dark Ages.
underflux

Post by underflux »

Hissing Syd wrote:To the OP, if you read this - you mentionioned having lost your possessions. Unless this has changed, perhaps you could post here and let the community know if there is anything you need that might be donated?

Many friends of mine have been guardians - I can well appreciate the situation must have been terrifying.
Many thanks I really appreciate that. Just to be clear. We don't know if our place has been broken into yet. The building we live in, sits on the land that the travelers occupied. It is a worry though. Just so you know, the travelers were forcibly moved on from the site, so I should know by tonight/tomorrow morning what the situation is. I don't want to assume that they have broken in. The police were saying that they tend not to break and enter into buildings as that becomes a criminal offence and the police have powers to arrest them more easily.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The scene a few minutes ago. The good news is they left in the night ahead of a final deadline of 10am this morning.

The bad news is they caused mayhem needlessly smashing and stealing the guardian's possessions. The police are taking this very seriously treating it as criminal damage and, I understand a forensic team will be gathering evidence to try and nail the perpetrators.

I think I can speak for all of us in extending our sympathies to the victims. I don't know what we can do to help. Perhaps when they have come to terms with events they can tell us.

Whatever you views on squatting and the travelling community - this behaviour last night in Sydenham should unite us all into condemning this group without hesitation.

Admin
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

^^^^^

Hear hear
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Agree completely