Millie's Story Community Event

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Millie's story

Millie's Story Community Event

Post by Millie's story »

Myself and few local ladies from Wells park are organising a community event to fundraise and support Greek Animal Rescue Register Charity No 802243.
The project is called Millie's Story, named after my rescue dog I brought last year from Greece.
More information about the story you can find on Millie’s website at https://milliesstory.wordpress.com
https://vimeo.com/141230559

Please save the date!
28th November - Saturday evening 5.30- 9 pm
at TNG Youth Centre
111 Wells Park Road, SE26 6AD

We want to make everyone happy and come to donate few pounds to our cause.
We have planned so far;
* talent competition for younger children,
* face painting

For adults we
* Live music
* Homemade cakes
* Christmas cards, soaps, candles, gifts for your pets
* Raffle with fantastic prizes.
* Tombola
We will be selling soft drinks and Yummy Jayne's waffles You won’t be able to say NO to!
Plus, many more fun attractions.

If you also believe that inhumane treatment of stray dogs in many EU countries should be stopped and the issue deserves awareness then come to SUPPORT our charity!

Thank you for checking this space.
Please, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @milliesstory and Facebook Millie Story.

We really hope to see you at the event! :D

Kindest Regards
Millie's Story
Last edited by Millie's story on 13 Nov 2015 22:57, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Lund

Re: Millie's Story Community Event

Post by Tim Lund »

sparticus

Post by sparticus »

LIFE OF AN ANIMAL SHOULD BE NO LESS IMPORTANT THAN LIFE OF A HUMAN
Completely bonkers!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Amazing

I find myself in agreement with the Thracian Gent. A momentous occasion.

I abhor cruelty to any animal but the idea some pussies in Greece are high on that countries agenda is
surely wrong.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
I agree and maybe I was a bit harsh.

Just would have thought if anyone in Sydenham has money to spare should go to refugees in neighbouring countries to Syria.
Millie's story

Post by Millie's story »

Sorry if this isnt anything to do with refugees. But if my post was about refugees, then how many comments would i get about helping out somewhere else instead of wasting my time on refugees?
I understand there is a crisis in Syria, but i have donated to the Red Cross and will continue to do so.
But in all fairness how many voices do the dogs have? If you could visit Greece, and see these dogs you would understand.
I am sure somewhere in your heart you would show a bit of compassion and understanding.

This event has got local people coming together, and the local Young people are also joining in.
That is a Sydenham community! :)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Millie's story wrote:Sorry if this isnt anything to do with refugees. But if my post was about refugees, then how many comments would i get about helping out somewhere else instead of wasting my time on refugees?
I understand there is a crisis in Syria, but i have donated to the Red Cross and will continue to do so.
But in all fairness how many voices do the dogs have? If you could visit Greece, and see these dogs you would understand.
I am sure somewhere in your heart you would show a bit of compassion and understanding.
My heart goes out to my cat when she is stuck for 48 hours up a tree

but if I were to visit Greece now, I think I'd be thinking more about my fellow human beings dying as they attempt the crossing from Turkey. Each to their own when it comes to good causes, but your prominent assertion that "the life of an animal should be no less important than the life of a human" is provocative, to say the least, and I'm not sure that I would wish to be part of a community where this was the general belief.

I'm pleased to say there are many alternatives to such, even here in Sydenham.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Tim If you are that concerned where is your charity event for refugees? Because you keep going on about, it but I don't see you doing anything about it.
So instead of slatting others. Get off your high horse, and do something for refugees.
mosy

Post by mosy »

In my humble opinion, caring about animals generally (not just a pet) is an indicator of our humanity. If people can disregard bad treatment of or towards them, it's not exactly a giant leap to think that such disregard can also apply to any person who they don't think is "worthy".

Not everyone can or will give to good causes and of course everyone is free to donate to whatever cause they wish. Without trying to be contentious, there's a fair chance that money given to a specific charity is more likely to reach the intended needy than is perhaps government aid paid to other governments without accountability as to how it will be and is spent.

Best wishes that Millie's Story event goes well.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Mankind domesticated animals. Therefore mankind should stand up and take responsibility.

These dogs don't have have a voice to fight their corner, like the red cross, or Government . These dogs have us. Normal people who are willing to stand up, and make a difference, and bring people together.
If you don't agree with it, then stand up, and start own your own charity.
I for one is behind Millies story.

Mosy much respect to you.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

The charity event itself is not the problem - it's the assertion that "the life of an animal should be no less important than the life of a human". So, if I see a human and dog at risk of death, and am able to save just one, and I choose to save the dog, that's OK?

Is that not morally repugnant?
mouse

Post by mouse »

No one would expect you to choose between a human and a dog, in an life saving situation.
But what matters is these dogs are being deliberately run over and left to die in agony, or being poisoned, and again left to die in agony. Or they just lay down and starve to death. One dog had his muzzle blown off by a fire work taped inside his mouth!!! Is that right? Is that something we should not focus on? Why because it's just a dog. An animal with a heartbeat. Sod it hey. Let's not worry about them. Let's worry about the refugees who has money spent on them, so many charities appealing for help. So much money being spent on them from foreign aid.
Like I said if you are that concerned you start up your own charity event.

Who are the voice for the dogs? Who are there for them.
People who have a heart and compassion that's who. People who have put in time and effort to get this going.
#milliesstory. Full support.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Tim, you talk the talk, but unless you are willing to stand up and do something about what you believe in, then don't go slatting others. At least they have the guts to stand up and try to be heard. Something I doubt you will ever do.

I look forward to reading about the refugee charity event, YOU Will be organising, within the Sydenham area.

#milliesstory
Http//milliesstory.wordpress.com.
Millie's story

Post by Millie's story »

The discription of the event has been changed!
Sorry, wasn't my intention to create an argument. I just saw the argumentative posts now and i can not believe its actually happening.

Tim, i said yesterday that i am supporting also other charity and following news about refugees, as i go to Lesvos often.
I care about animals and i know how much they suffer in Greece. if not people like me, not many will be there do anything to help.
I appreciate the support from other members in this forum.
I hope I will meet you on the 28th.
Thank you
Regards
MS
Wells Park News

Post by Wells Park News »

Can people stop being so catty at each other please

There is event at TNG Sat 28th November 5.30-9pm
Millie's Story Community event
A community event which include dog walkers from Wells Park are doing a very humble thing
Please just be part of a community>

people who care about animals are lovely people and they do care about humans too!
Wells Park talking, over and out.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Millie's story wrote:The discription of the event has been changed!
Thanks.

This is not the place to respond to personal criticisms on this thread, although the thread I started in the non controversial Town Cafe

Favourite Good Causes

is an indirect response, intended to allow this argument to diffuse.

I too hope the event goes well!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely we have enough dogs and cats in this country.

I agree partly with Tim , if any spare money to donate to charity giving to the refugees in neighbouring countries ( Turkey , Jordan , Iraq , Lebanon ) should be the priority.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Eagle
Yes we have enough dogs and cats over here. We are not talking about bringing the dogs over, but merely trying to help them over there.
HOW many times have you seen a pack of stray dogs with half of them injured?
How many times have you left your house and seen a dog with half of it face missing?
We have wonderful organisations over here such as Battersea dogs home. Dogs trust, Blue cross, Foal Farm. The Mayhew. RSPCA. Wag tail rescue. The list goes on.

We have all supported the refugee campaign.
Now we feel it is time to help the dogs.
The refugees are being supported, hence many EU countries have welcomed them in and the ones left behind are getting help, and will eventually come over here, or other EU countries.
Maybe you and Tim can get together and organise something together. I am sure the people of Sydenham will support you both.
Just like they are supporting Millies story.

Thank you
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mouse

Surely the most humane way is for the Greek authorities to put down stray dogs. If you are talking about funding the humane
putting down of stray dogs I back you up.

Just to clarify , cannot speak for Tim. I only support aid for refugees based in neighbouring countries to Syria. I do not support any aid what so ever once they become migrants and enter Europe.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
Perhaps you are right.

I first , i must admit , could not believe that someone interested in wayward doggies in a country with so many real problems.

I see nothing wrong with humanely putting down unwanted dogs . This is far from cruel but often the correct thing so to do.

Anyway perhaps enough said .