Aggressive, threatening confrontation in the Thorpes.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
coll

Aggressive, threatening confrontation in the Thorpes.

Post by coll »

Today I was walking my two lurchers in the Thorpes when I was approached by a man asking if I course these dogs. When I said ‘no’ he offered to buy them. I am use to this happening as coursing is a tradition in the traveler community . On several occasions I have been asked If I would like to sell my dogs.
I said ‘No thanks. These are my pets. I’m not interested in selling them’. This man then offered cash for them. Again I said no and continued walking. He began following me, insisting that he wanted the dogs. I turned around and told him I’d had enough and said stop following me. He then said ‘Don’t worry I’ll find out where you live’. This was quite upsetting and I had to walk around several streets until I felt comfortable going home.

I’ve phoned the police with a description. He is a White Male 40’s, darker greased back hair, missing some teeth. Wearing a sand coloured anorak.
stuart

Re: Aggressive, threatening confrontation in the Thorpes.

Post by stuart »

Sorry to hear this. Did your diversionary tactics include Sydenham Road? With two dogs you should be pretty easily identifiable on CCTV. And of course any gentleman close behind.

Stuart
coll

Post by coll »

No, I was heading to Mayow park, opposite end of the thorpes and got a bit nervous. I suspect he would have bolted if I headed there.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Its a thought in future for anybody being stalked. CCTV can either capture them or scare them off. I often wondered if they really worked but the Sydenham Road cameras appear to have played a crucial role in the trial of the alleged killer of Nathan Murray: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14100 ... n_street_/

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

Sorry to hear this, it is really upsetting to hear this.
coll

Post by coll »

Thank you Parker. This happens with owning sighthounds/ lurchers. Still, its not a pleasant thing to happen so close to home.
parker

Post by parker »

I was actually thinking about this while waiting at the station this morning, looking around and thinking who would do such a thing... In future if anything similar were to happen head for Sydenham Road, if not for the CCTV footage (as other posters have rightly pointed out) but for your safety at the time so there are others that are in a position to intervene.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Next time try to take a photo of them with your phone.