Zanzibar- Licence revoked

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
KEVD

Zanzibar- Licence revoked

Post by KEVD »

HI,

Not sure if everyone has heard but Zanzibar seems to have had its licence revoked on the 3rd of December. They have 21 days to appeal according to the news shopper:

http://m.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1413454 ... e_revoked/
Parker1970

Re: Zanzibar- Licence revoked

Post by Parker1970 »

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Great news for the local residents.
susan

Post by susan »

Hallelujah! Peace and sanity restored to us residents in Kirkdale at last.
parker

Post by parker »

parker 'likes' this.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Gaddison 'loves' it!!!! :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I hope we are not celebrating too soon and a similar organisation might not operate from there in future.

The local populace deserve respite.

I guess to much to hope it returns to being a department store.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I wonder why the flyer that the News Shopper chose to illustrate its story was for an event to celebrate Jamaican Independence Day.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I had just bought a ticket for the 'Big Fish Little Fish' parent & toddler afternoon disco there in March next year. The one scheduled for January sold-out pretty quickly.

I wonder if, post Zanzibar losing its license, it might be possible to ask the freeholders permission and then apply to the council for two temporary licenses to cover those particular events? It would be a shame if two completely anodyne, family-friendly events that were highly untypical of other events at Zanzibar had to be cancelled.

EDIT: just seen this updated post in the Kids section of this forum:

"The venue owners are appealing the decision - this is a process that takes about 6 months, during which time Zanzibar is allowed to continue to operate. Luckily our parties won't be affected."
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

monkeyarms wrote:I had just bought a ticket for the 'Big Fish Little Fish' parent & toddler afternoon disco there in March next year. The one scheduled for January sold-out pretty quickly.

I wonder if, post Zanzibar losing its license, it might be possible to ask the freeholders permission and then apply to the council for two temporary licenses to cover those particular events? It would be a shame if two completely anodyne, family-friendly events that were highly untypical of other events at Zanzibar had to be cancelled.

EDIT: just seen this updated post in the Kids section of this forum:

"The venue owners are appealing the decision - this is a process that takes about 6 months, during which time Zanzibar is allowed to continue to operate. Luckily our parties won't be affected."
I'm glad Big Fish Little Fish is going ahead - To me it showed Zanzibar were starting to consider different events. I also think, with the type of people that go to BFLF you may see some more interesting events happening there. You never know it could become a real asset to Sydenham's night time economy.

I for one think it would be amazing for a proper Northern Soul night.

G-Man
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I've never been inside, so I've no idea what it's like.

I've wondered if Tudor Livesey Hall would do for a Northern night.
It was good enough for Alexander O'Neal last month
Nothing like the same kind of music of course, but still...
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Thank you Monkeyarms and G-Man! I'm based just off Kirkdale and so is Captain Cookie who does the crafts at BFLF so we're aware of the history of the venue. We are hopeful that the new owners will be more community minded than the previous ones, the event with David Rodigan looked great.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Tudor Livesey Hall?

Interesting. I live near there and we have constant events, which results in patrons parking on pavements, double yellow lines, bus stops, filling the residential streets... Anything except using the large empty car park on the shopping estate nearby.

Have tried contacting the council and they are less than helpful. So yeah. By all means look to another venue for your entertainment, but don't imagine they are any better at controlling their customers or thinking about the local community. Because they aren't.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

NatashaM wrote:Thank you Monkeyarms and G-Man! I'm based just off Kirkdale and so is Captain Cookie who does the crafts at BFLF so we're aware of the history of the venue. We are hopeful that the new owners will be more community minded than the previous ones, the event with David Rodigan looked great.
David Rodigan? When was that? I bet that was a cracker. Anything similar I'd be tempted to go. Can't really find any web presence for them to see what other events they're planning. Do you know of anything?

G-man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Before giving a new license the Council should review the illegal parking that goes with this venue.

The Council or , and , the Police seem completely unable the Police the illegal and dangerous parking and other activities that occur in the early hours.

Surely any new venue should close at 11pm very latest.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Good riddance to the Zanzibar "management " and good luck to whoever comes next - if they don't learn from the incompetence of the previous lot then they will deserve to fail.
Here's hoping for the best
A very good evening
Nigel
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I went to the Big Fish Little Fish family disco at Zanzibar yesterday afternoon. I was very curious to see what the place was like inside.

It's big. I do think that it would be a shame if the space itself, which is in its own modest way quite impressive, ceases to be used for some kind of entertainment purpose when/if Zanzibar loses its appeal (I suspect it's a when rather than an if). It would be a great place to screen a movie or host some live music. The largest room reminded me of places like the Islington Powerhaus or the Camden Underworld, where I used to see bands in my teens - something of a down-at-heel working men's club feel to it. The smaller of the two rooms reminded me slightly of Ronnie Scotts.

I wonder what kind of lease the Zanzibar management have, and what their arrangement with the freeholder is? If Zanzibar do lose their appeal and get booted out, I wonder what sort of business the freeholder will be looking to replace them with?

It certainly ought to be possible to run a music/bar/comedy/social club/general functions and events-type venue there without any of the brouhaha.
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

Agreed.
There's lots of talk about London losing it's night economy. Which is a vague term for "serving drinks and giving people entertainment".

While you can see the problem with this:
I move to London because of buzzy nighttimes, I am rich and manage to move to the most buzzy area, I then complain about the noise. It's not nice is it? All this noise? I didn't expect this?

That's detrimental to lots of organisations and institutions that provide fun to people.

There's also a problem with this:
I as an organiser of providing fun to people spy an opportunity to develop a thriving nightspot providing fun to many people. However, I don't take into account the area, the people who live here, and the infrastructural requirements.

That's detrimental to the existing population.

While Zanzibar have had problems with noise, crowds, traffic, they do appear to have tried. What more could they do?

(I'm not stirring I'm being objective)

They received complaints about parking, they got parking wardens, they advised people on noise when leaving.

Any new music/club venue will face similar problems. It's an old department store (i think), it's on a number of residential roads. There is very limited parking, the roundabout is a nightmare. The boost to the local economy, and it would be a considerable boost (jobs, taxis, increased number of chips and kebabs sold, 24hr shop would sell more) would probably bring a lot of negatives. (noise, litter, policing costs).

It would need to be a very considered application and a serious plan from a committed owner to get through all of that and make the money they required.

London does need more clubs and venues. The ones in town are being closed down, venues in Peckham are at risk.
Just as people are being moved out of areas they can't afford to live in, so are the things that don't fit in with the new way of London.

(he says as a blow in via Manchester)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Demeaux

Thanks for your constructive comments . I do not agree with all but they are stated calmly .

Firstly you are correct the Building was for over 100 years a Leading Department Store , which even in the 70's , before it closed , was like stepping back in time. Lovely.

I am always wary about nighttime local employment. How many of the Bouncing people and other staff live in SE 26 ?
Quoting chicken and kebab shops is not a positive. Try walking around Sat'day or Sunday morning and see the mess .

Problem with the Nightclub named after the former Colony of Germany and UK , is that most of its clientele appear to drive so must come a long distance . If it attracted people in walking distance would be no problem.

Some sort of entertainment hub could be ideal for this site , but not an out of hours centre.
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

Why should a venue close before 11?

There are a number of things that Zanzibar is getting the blame for here, when there are clearly problems elsewhere.

Car parking - doesn't seem to be Zanzibar's problem. You could ask: why are the council, police,traffic wardens not ticketing more? or Why are people driving to this venue - that seems daft. Why aren't there trains/better night buses/more taxis?

Litter - again, this isn't the fault of the establishments selling food. Rather it's a fault of society itself. People litter.Why? Because they expect someone to pick up after them? Because it's the norm? That's quite a big question to answer. But is not the fault of the food establishments. Should there be more provision of street cleaning? Probably. but this isn't just tied to street food is it? There's a definite need for more cleaning and less litter. Not much money around though is there?

Eagle - you've clearly lived here a long time, and things have changed and are changing.
Probably not in the way you'd like.
I don't think anyone would like to live next door to a club, where previously there wasn't one, to get woken up and disturbed by the customers.

I guess I'm asking, what do you want from SE26? It will change. I moved here. Others are moving here. People want things, business minded individuals spot opportunities. Look at The Dolphin, The Golden Lion, Beer Rebellion. Zanzibar is just another opportunity. That didn't quite work out because of infrastructure/the way people are after drinking.