The Paint Shop

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Whitey

The Paint Shop

Post by Whitey »

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Just wondering if anyone knew what the recently closed paint shop on the corner of Elderton road and the high street is going to become. Hoping to move to the area soon, so hoping for a nice cafe or something not too disruptive!

Thanks.
mikej

Re: The Paint Shop

Post by mikej »

RECENTLY closed?
It closed at least 18 months ago. No signs of any interest unless you want to open a nice cafe? That area could do with one!
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

So it looks like 287 Sydenham Road (formerly the paint shop) has been bought and works under way to transform it with some changes outside already. Anyone know what it's going to be?

http://www.hnfproperty.com/property/287 ... -se26-5ew/
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't know. It could look great for little money. I hope they respect the building.

My guess is a take away or a hairdresser/barber.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Blimey that's cheap. They were asking £120,000. Which means they might have actually accepted between 100–115,000. And they were only asking 12K per year rent. It's a decent-sized space too, with a basement. That's so cheap you could have bought it and sub-let the basement as storage space for half of your annual rent.

My guess is that it'll be a chicken shop. Though maybe the buyer will just leave it empty, like several other places on the high street.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

What happened to the 'Friends of Sydenham High Street' idea somebody mooted?

I think that if we are serious about wanting to improve the high street, then we need to make a concerted, co-ordinated effort to intervene in these sales: we need to be reacting to this information before these commercial properties get to be Under Offer or Sold.

Sydenham is clearly way off-the-radar of the kind of businesses that us 'perennial disappointeds' would like to see in place. We need to start actively informing the kind of businesses we would like to see. 12K per year rent is frankly peanuts for London. It wouldn't take much for a small consortium of interested locals to take on a rent like that for whatever project might be fun/desirable/useful.
biscuitman1978

The Paint Shop

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Whitey wrote:So it looks like 287 Sydenham Road (formerly the paint shop) has been bought and works under way to transform it with some changes outside already. Anyone know what it's going to be?

http://www.hnfproperty.com/property/287 ... -se26-5ew/
A quick look at Lewisham Council's online planning application records reveals that an application to convert the retail unit to residential use was refused by Lewisham Council but then allowed on appeal.

I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that that's what the work relates to.

You can see more by going to http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications and searching for 'DC/16/096490' (without quotation marks).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

True. So I was wrong. It will be a 2 bed flat.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

2-bed flat on the highstreet would sell at around £380 grand I reckon. Let's say they spend 100-150 grand on the conversion. That's still a pretty tidy profit margin.