Cash point thefts on the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

A community police support officer was giving out leaflets today on the high street, warning people about thefts at cash points. The leaflet says, " Distraction thieves are operating in this area. There have been numerous crimes reported whereby elderly victims have attempted to get cash out of the cash point. They have been approached from behind by a suspect who presses buttons on the cash point key pad, leaning round or pushing in front of the victim. The suspect then takes their bank card and uses it at another cash point, withdrawing money from the victim's account."

We all probably need to be vigilant when using cash points.
Eagle

Re: Cash point thefts on the high street

Post by Eagle »

El Cid , of Charlton Heston.

I agree serious problem. Personally only ever use machines in banks , where I hope less likely to be a problem.

I do appreciate that not every one can get to a cash machine in bank hours but certainly
retired people should have no problem.

I have seen old people struggling with an outside machine when the bank is open and plenty of machines inside.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Of course I am not blaming the victims.

Only pointing out that safer to use internal machines.
mosy

Post by mosy »

It happened to me last year sometime, so I also reported it on here. It was at 3pm on a sunny day with several people queuing behind me. Probably the time when no-one is expecting anything to occur simply because it is so busy, plus no harsh words or threatening gestures were used - just distraction.

Clearly I didn't cover my pin well enough or they wouldn't have been able to withdraw cash within 3 minutes from the ATM 50 yds away (i.e. before I could cancel the card).

I now position myself directly in front of the "out" slots, effectively blocking them, so no-one can reach in or discreetly press the Cancel button that would eject my card. Live and learn.

They get away with it because they're good at it, otherwise people would speak of attempts with fewer reporting actual thefts.

I'm not sure how age is involved other than the usual being more trusting and not being able to do much physically. In my case, the man was very tall (easily 6'2" or more) so presumably could easily see over my shoulder.

Eagle, you could be right that safer inside a bank. Or not, as it's so quick. Safest of all would be to withdraw cash at a counter if you're prepared to let these things get to you.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote:
Safest of all would be to withdraw cash at a counter if you're prepared to let these things get to you.
Cashback in the supermarket I find the most secure method to be honest.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, Parker1970, but I'm not sure they all do it now. I don't think Lidl ever did did it? The Co-op for example has a cash machine in-store to which I was directed when I last asked for cashback. That said, I'm not saying cash was refused since I just said OK rather than insisting, so they might have said yes at the till had I persisted - anyone know? I don't think Tesco ever did, since machine outside plus Post Office ATM next door, but perhaps someone knows?

Incidentally, I also saw a spectacle case, snatched from a woman's hand after (apparently) she'd withdrawn cash from the Post Office counter. The thief must have seen her "hiding" it (she thought). That agile thief ran away at a rate of knots. That was a good few years ago, but again, it was broad daylight. So if you get cash from anywhere, tuck it away somewhere so it can't be snatched, from whichever machine or counter.

Incidentally, I often stand behind menfolk in a shop queue with their wallet visibly poking up out of a back jeans pocket. I imagine it'd be a piece of cake to accidentally bump into them... I usually just tap them on the shoulder and tell them that if I can see it, sure as heck everyone else can.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Mosy

You cannot be 100% safe but you can mitigate any risk by taking care.

I have never put valuables in a rear trouser pocket.. Surely this is stupid.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote:Yes, Parker1970, but I'm not sure they all do it now. I don't think Lidl ever did did it? The Co-op for example has a cash machine in-store to which I was directed when I last asked for cashback. That said, I'm not saying cash was refused since I just said OK rather than insisting, so they might have said yes at the till had I persisted - anyone know? I don't think Tesco ever did, since machine outside plus Post Office ATM next door, but perhaps someone knows?
I've got Cashback in Tesco and the new Sainsbury Local. Pretty sure Lidl's too. Not tried the manned counter at Co-op but their self-service tills actually offer cashback if you use a debit card to pay for your shopping so I would assume the counter would/should too.

Most supermarkets are always pleased to do it. It's not just about offering a service, the more cashback they give out, the less cash to count/reconcile/bank. When you get £50 cashback, it's basically putting money into their bank account - Free, as they don't pay commissions/charges on the cashback element of purchases.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Where's the new Sainsbury's Local? I thought I'd walked down a good bit of the high street this evening, without seeing it.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

alywin wrote:Where's the new Sainsbury's Local? I thought I'd walked down a good bit of the high street this evening, without seeing it.
It's behind the Greyhound.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There's an ATM inside the Co-op