Greyhound on fire

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Greyhound on fire

Post by gillyjp »

We have just had to call the fire brigade as the Greyhound is on fire. We saw smoke coming out of the front section and round the side and seems worse around the tiled bar area. There are 3 fire engines on the scene and the fire brigade have knocked down the hoarding to the side to get in.

We will update the website as and when necessary.
multisync

greyhound

Post by multisync »

My son has just phoed n
me to say the greyhound is on fire whats going on
simono

Post by simono »

Not sure there is more to add. Saw smoke about 9.30, went round to check and called the fire brigade. The brigade were quick on the scene - 3 engines plus a ladder. Forced entry through the front and by the tiles bar - which seemed to the the seat of the fire. Lots of smoke and steam so I think was quite a big thing. Took some pictures and sent ot South London Press. Good timing for a fire!
Have seen a few people going in and out and the back fire door has been left open a few times. Also the sensor light was on last night. Might have been squatters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Picture & brief report here: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound.html

Admin
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Surely not another Catford dog track scenario...................
michael_a

Post by michael_a »

This is very sad news after all the work put into keeping and protecting this building. Hopefully the damage will be minimal but I guess we shall have to wait for a while to find out the extent of the damage.

I note that this was predicted back in September: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... hound+fire . It is deeply disturbing that such an 'accident' should be so predictable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The fire is now out. I've added some more photos at: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound.html.

I know many of us expected this but I must ask that no one should post any speculation as to who or what was the cause. If it was arson it is a serious criminal matter and anybody who knows anything should tell the right people. I don't want to have to edit anything out ...

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Update. The Incident Commander described the fire as 'suspicious'. A Fire Investigation Team is at work.

Damage is to the ground floor which has, in places, burnt through to the basement. There appears to be no serious structural damage that could wreck the building. The Borough Surveyor is on scene and checking things out. There is, of couse, smoke damage to other parts of the building.

That's my final report for tonight. An unwelcome diversion and the first St Bart's midnight christmas service I've missed in 22 years. Which remind me we nearly lost that building just over 10 years ago as the result of an arson attack.

Sadly some firemen will be a bit sleepy tomorrow and I guess you would all wish to join me in thanking them for their work tonight.

I hope the rest of you will be able to enjoy an otherwise splendid Christmas.

Admin
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Many thanks to the above posters for taking time out on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day to keep us informed of this.
simon

Post by simon »

Just like the Catford Toteboard, and there will be no arrests.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Simon. You have no way of knowing that. And I'm afraid as I said above I have to insist on no speculation when a suspected serious criminal act is being investigated. This is a monitored public forum. Please don't make me terminate this thread.

I'm always available via PM if anyone has a difficulty over this.

Admin
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Reading this on hols in Scotland - but not surprised to hear about the fire at the Greyhound. Ten days ago the police were alerted by a neighbour opposite who had seen kids in the car park carrying lighted torches (ie bits of wood alight!) trying to break into the building. I emailed the owners to tell them about this and they assured me they were taking steps to secure the building - this should have happened on Monday Dec 17. It will be very interesting to see if anything is now done to make the site more secure.
simono

Post by simono »

On the news bit there is comment that the hoardings made it more difficult for the fire brigade to have got in. I think that was the point - to stop people getting in in the first place. The reality is that it was not secure enough. There should have been metal security screens on the building - like the Tigers Head. But having said that if there had been the fire brigade would never had got in!
The only way to keep a building safe is security guards but no developer will even do that as the cost is prohibitive.
The building is safe for the time being and the damage is repairable and might even be covered by insurance!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Simono - you are absolutely right to highlight the dilemma. The issue I was raising in the report is that an unoccupied building is very vulnerable. As I understand it the only people who wanted it unoccupied were the developers even though this meant loss of revenue when, lacking a planning application, there was no prospect of immediate other use.

The question is how long realistically is the Greyhound going to stay in its current condition until is future, or lack of, is decided. Is it meanwhile viable to bring it back into use to generate revenue and diminish the threat to it? It would be good to hear the developer's views on this.

Admin
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I think Admin has voiced the opinion of almost every local.

We are mindful of the developer's earlier posts which position them as a company that aims to put community interests and consultation with the community at the heart of their business.

I remain hopeful that this promise will be upheld.

With this in mind, would it be possible for the developer to tell us what they intend to do to make the site more secure?

And what are their plans for site development?
sal

The Greyhound

Post by sal »

Does anyone know what the plans are for the Greyhound
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Whats the latest? Was there much damage?
biffa

Post by biffa »

i will try and find out from the FIT reports what the extent and cause of fire was when im back on duty ...sadly arson is on the up for a number or reasons and derilict pubs always seem prime targets ..regards all