BEER REBELLION

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

BEER REBELLION

Post by leenewham »

We went last night and it was lovely. Great service, great beers, great enthusiasm from the staff and a genuinely lovely space to sit in the evening.

They have some great porters, stouts and ciders at the moment. It's a genuine local gem.

I will miss it when we leave.
G-Man

Re: BEER REBELLION

Post by G-Man »

Yes. Love it. The staff make it for me.

Where are you off to old boy? Maybe a conversation off here...

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The staff are great.

We aren't moving far away, and not for a while yet. Partly for schools, a bigger garden for our son to play in, cheaper etc.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Nice place to have a beer and good staff also. More people should use it.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:This could be the greatest bar ever known to humanity!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate everyone has their own peculiarities but the atmosphere is, at once, interesting but unpretentious, the bar staff the same - friendly and welcoming. It is never really busy (which pleases me if not them), but most of all I genuinely look forward to my trips there - and spending less and less time in Sydenham it is the one place that draws me back - time for a last pint at the beer rebellion before closing - it's, like, two minutes from my house, and friendly and fun and the barman has a sparkle, a twinkle in his eye.

So celebrate it!
Went into BR last night - really bus, in fact so busy that the bar girl was over-run and had to phone for help. She was actually pretty graceless too...
I recognise it is a beer shop, but no ice or lemon in a G&T is a touch strange....
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I would never willingly go into a bar called 'Beer Rebellion.' I'd be worried about the sort of people I might meet there. 'Beer Tradition', maybe. Even better, 'The Queen's Arms', or something along those lines.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Robin Orton wrote:I would never willingly go into a bar called 'Beer Rebellion.' I'd be worried about the sort of people I might meet there.

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is , as stated on the tin , a place for beer . G and T lovers should look else where.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Went twice when first opened. No ice machine from inception.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Again why would a craft beer establishment want ice. Beers should not be iced.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Eagle wrote:It is , as stated on the tin , a place for beer . G and T lovers should look else where.
If they offer G & T, they should do it properly or not at all, when I ran a pub Gordons actually came to the pub and trained all the staff in the art of making a proper G& T :D

That said, love Beer Rebellion :)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote: it's like a mate's living room with beer kegs.
Any more visions of hell you'd like to offer us?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think you will find that 'hell' is friendlier and an altogether nicer place than you think Robin.

Try it. If you like real craft ale/cider of course.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:
rod taylor wrote: it's like a mate's living room with beer kegs.
Any more visions of hell you'd like to offer us?
It's not my job to come up with your visions of hell - ask your priest.
But it's based on about 25 craft beer venues in Brooklyn basically. It's completely aimed at the beard and brogue community and certainly not the CAMRA crowd who tend not to shower much. :wink:

I agree that if it sells a G&T it should do it properly.

Also, beers can definitely be served cold.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:In our multi-strand society there are places that appeal to some people precisely because they don't appeal to others.
Completely agree
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I agree too. Teenage rebellion, trying to establish one's own personal identity by automatically rejecting the values of the older generation, whatever they are, is a very important part of growing up.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

rod taylor wrote:
Robin Orton wrote:I agree too. Teenage rebellion, trying to establish one's own personal identity by automatically rejecting the values of the older generation, whatever they are, is a very important part of growing up.
I'm not sure that having the odd pint at a low-key neighbourhood bar could be regarded as either material for bildungsroman or waving two fingers in the face of society.

I must say you have a very distorted perception of the place, Robin, like it's some sort of den of iniquity. Perhaps this snobbery is because it is in Lower Sydenham.
On that topic, where does Lwr Sydders actually start? I was always told that Kent House Rd was the boundary...pedantry
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ever since the closure of the huge gas works the border not so important.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

And of course what the estate agent says...to be fair, I was told that the boundary lay where it was quicker to walk to Lwr Syd station. I think that might be the library then :P
simon

Post by simon »

Had a look on the Late Knights Twitter feed and it appears that they are having difficulties and have closed their brewery. Bars are staying open though. Worrying nonetheless.