Bonfires in back gardens.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
monkeyarms

Re: Bonfires in back gardens.

Post by monkeyarms »

Pickwick wrote:I spoke to a helpful person in Bromley's Public protection team on Friday and they took down the details - tel 0300 303 8657, email ehts.customer@bromley.gov.uk. They asked if these were garden bonfires and I said I was sure they weren't, that they occur almost every evening and that they generate a lot of unpleasant smoke. Bromley explained they couldn't act directly on the information as I'm based in Lewisham and I will have to go through Lewisham environmental health, who will then liaise with Bromley. So anyone based in Bromley should get an immediate response.

I think there was another fire last night – woke up at about 1.30pm to a smell of smoke, assume it was no 22 again!
Might have been, but someone at no.6 has also started burning stuff - usually at night.

I'd be surprised if Bromley does anything at all, given the response you got from Bromley (about you living in Lewisham - sounds like nonsense to me), given that they are flats, and given that the wording on the note left by no.22 suggests they won't be lighting any more fires (for the time being, at least...)
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Pickwick wrote:I spoke to a helpful person in Bromley's Public protection team on Friday and they took down the details - tel 0300 303 8657, email ehts.customer@bromley.gov.uk. They asked if these were garden bonfires and I said I was sure they weren't, that they occur almost every evening and that they generate a lot of unpleasant smoke. Bromley explained they couldn't act directly on the information as I'm based in Lewisham and I will have to go through Lewisham environmental health, who will then liaise with Bromley. So anyone based in Bromley should get an immediate response.

I think there was another fire last night – woke up at about 1.30pm to a smell of smoke, assume it was no 22 again!
I've reported the bonfires to that email address and Bromley replied to say they have written to the address.

Bonfires still not justified by rat infestation surely. My house still has a slight smell of smoke.

The most recent bonfire, Monday night I think, was actually coming from a different garden on Tredown up the hill.... on the other side of Byne. ... A copycat bonfire!
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

monkeyarms wrote:

Might have been, but someone at no.6 has also started burning stuff - usually at night.

I'd be surprised if Bromley does anything at all, given the response you got from Bromley (about you living in Lewisham - sounds like nonsense to me), given that they are flats, and given that the wording on the note left by no.22 suggests they won't be lighting any more fires (for the time being, at least...)
Bromley seemed quite helpful. If you know the new bonfires are from number 6 you could drop an email to the above address and they will write to them if it's a repeated problem.
marymck

Post by marymck »

monkeyarms wrote:...saying something about a rat infestation
they're burning rats??!??