Speed Camera Westwood Hill - Which speed???

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Lois

Speed Camera Westwood Hill - Which speed???

Post by Lois »

I know that the whole borough is going to 20 mph and I think that in Sydenham that will come into force on the 5th September, but until then the 20 mph signs should be covered.

This is very confusing and could prove quite dangerous!

Parker1970

Re: Speed Camera Westwood Hill - Which speed???

Post by Parker1970 »

Well they certainly won't be able to fine anyone with those confusing signs :)
Lois

Post by Lois »

Yes but there is a small 20 mph sign on the way down the hill shortly before the camera which is hidden by trees until you are right on top of it.

If you came out of Sydenham Hill (which, incidentally is going back to 30 mph soon) there are large 30 mph signs.
Drivers who are worried about the cameras are likely to slam on their brakes at the last minute.

Not at all safe as it is right now :(
parker

Post by parker »

Well I won't be abiding by 20mph across the borough, that's for certain. Absolutely ridiculous.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lois wrote: Sydenham Hill (which, incidentally is going back to 30 mph soon) (
Is it indeed? Have Southwark recognised the folly of their blanket 20 mph rule just as other are about to implement it?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How about proper enforcement of 30 mph before reducing it.
Lois

Post by Lois »

Is it indeed? Have Southwark recognised the folly of their blanket 20 mph rule just as other are about to implement it?
No Rachael, I think it's more a case of Lewisham deciding it is one of the few roads that should be 30 mph
Sydenham Hill is Southwark on one side of the road and Lewisham on the other side.
How about proper enforcement of 30 mph before reducing it.
I couldn't agree more Eagle!

I have never understood why the cameras have to be yellow to alert drivers.
Surely 'entrapment' would involve someone actually 'encouraging' drivers to break the speed limit? If they are breaking the limit they are breaking it and should be able to be fined and given points for it.

So why not have less obvious cameras that can be moved around from road to road and increase the fines and number of points. I am certain that would have an effect!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So what do you mean by 'going back to 20mph'? If it's a reversal of the current 20mph zone, that's Southwark, not Lewisham.
Lois

Post by Lois »

Going down the hill there is one 20 repeater sign which is hidden by the trees until you are almost on it and right before the cameras.

I can see someone slamming on their brakes there and causing an accident.
And if that happens it will be down to the LBL!
Lois

Post by Lois »

Rachael wrote:So what do you mean by 'going back to 20mph'? If it's a reversal of the current 20mph zone, that's Southwark, not Lewisham.
I said going back to 30mph, which is what I think you meant to type.

Southwark did their borough wide 20 limit some time ago as we all know.
Lewisham are doing it now.

Lewisham have come to the conclusion that Sydenham Hill should be one of the few roads that are 30mph roads.
I imagine that they must have consulted with Southwark about this as Southwark must have consulted with Lewisham when they made it 20mph.

I did write to Lewisham about it stating why I thought it was more dangerous at 20mph than it was at 30mph.
I have had a few near misses since it changed and I imagine many others have and have also possibly written in about it.

From the Autumn 2016 issue of the Sydenham Society News:
"From 5 September Lewisham is planning to follow other London boroughs and introduce a 20mph limit borough wide. (There are exceptions and, it would appear, locally Sydenham Hill will revert to 30mph along its entire length.)"

The Lewisham site don't give a specific date but put implementation down as September 2016.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So Southwark HAVE agreed to change a road in their jurisdiction to 30mph? (Sorry about the typo). Is Lewisham's change not as blanket as Southwark's was?
Lois

Post by Lois »

Are there not ANY roads in Southwark that are still 30mph?

I am guessing that Southwark have agreed this and guessing that Lewisham agreed with the 20mph limit.
But the road comes under both.
Maybe it will end up 20mph in one direction and 30mph in the other!
simon

Post by simon »

On a related note; I was going to start another thread about the random 20 mph road markings that are springing up. We have one here at the end of Knighton Park Road notifying the residents of four houses that they are entering a 20 mph zone, but there is not one at the start of the road at Sydenham Road, or at the Kent House Road end of Hillmore Grove. I also noted one on Station Approach; does anyone really get up to 20 mph on there? I've seen one on Tewksbury Road but none anywhere else. Has anyone else spotted any?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lois wrote:Are there not ANY roads in Southwark that are still 30mph?

I am guessing that Southwark have agreed this and guessing that Lewisham agreed with the 20mph limit.
But the road comes under both.
Maybe it will end up 20mph in one direction and 30mph in the other!
My understanding was that every single road in Southwark was made 20mph, no exceptions.

So, to go back to the original question, why do you say Sydenham Hill is going back to 30 mph? Did you hear something?
Lois

Post by Lois »

Rachael, go back to my post at 19:07
The quote from the Sydenham Society Newsletter
That is all I know
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lois wrote:Rachael, go back to my post at 19:07
The quote from the Sydenham Society Newsletter
That is all I know
Apologies, I missed that. Thanks.
Lois

Post by Lois »

No problem at all :wink:
GFA

Post by GFA »

simon wrote:On a related note; I was going to start another thread about the random 20 mph road markings that are springing up. We have one here at the end of Knighton Park Road notifying the residents of four houses that they are entering a 20 mph zone, but there is not one at the start of the road at Sydenham Road, or at the Kent House Road end of Hillmore Grove. I also noted one on Station Approach; does anyone really get up to 20 mph on there? I've seen one on Tewksbury Road but none anywhere else. Has anyone else spotted any?
Yes on Silverdale, Queensthorpe Road, Earlsthorpe Road, Windfield Close, Bishopsthorpe Road and presumably on the rest of the Thorpe Estate. All seemingly done last Weds/Thurs during the day!
mikej

Post by mikej »

Lewisham can only impose a 20mph limit on their own roads. That won't apply to Tfl's main roads in the borough.
Lois

Post by Lois »

mikej wrote: Lewisham can only impose a 20mph limit on their own roads. That won't apply to Tfl's main roads in the borough.
And where are they in Sydenham?
I don't think there are any in Upper Sydenham.