driving and phones

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

driving and phones

Post by Eagle »

This is a modern menace that needs to be stamped out.

HMG proposals for 6 points are useless. Should be treated the same as drink driving as quite as dangerous.

Personally I think non hand held devices are nearly as bad. It is not the holding of the confounded device but the distract of the conversation.

Wake up Government .
Nigel

Re: driving and phones

Post by Nigel »

Eagle
Agree - all use of telephones are potentially dangerously distracting - in my view texting is worst of all and had lead to many deaths in last few years .
It is inherently wilful in my view - or the person doing it has decided to take the chance on someone else's life the moment they start composing some trivial communication that could wait until they either park up safely or get home .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Wise words Nigel. Text messages especially are a disgrace at the wheel.

Wise to so many people , many hopefully normal citizens , do this stupid action.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

what of radio in car? is ok?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure but not quite the same

Phone directed at you and in the case of business calls you could be concentrating 95% on the call.

I do agree the wireless could divert attention , although the goings on in Ambridge unlikely to cause a crash.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think radios are slightly different as they can easily be mentally ignored, except if eyes are taken off the road to change channel of course. Phone calls demand listening, comprehending and formulating a response so very much more of the brain is needed.

It sounds "good" (being seen to be doing something) to issue points (or fines if a decriminalised borough or city) except that an offender has to be caught in the act I think and I can't for the life of me see how they can be.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy
Of course at first only a small percentage will be caught. But if they are then taken to a prison cell , as drink driving and have to go to court and of course lose the license , the message may get home to all.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The best deterrent would be for someone in parliament to go draconian and suggest a bill to have all vehicles fitted with a copper shield thingy that stops mobile signals :mrgreen: Or maybe they could run advertising campaigns where a driver brags about being capable of flouting the rules then is shamed by their mates so it gradually becomes antisocial, the same as smokers now being seen as outcasts by the majority.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There isn't time to "persuade" users that any phone use while driving is acceptable.

We all see unacceptable and illegal driving/phone usage on a daily basis. It maybe everyone using a handheld phone has to be educated first, but this puts off the inevitable. All on this forum have been witness to all sorts of arguments on public transport or when someone else is driving, and long, very boring angry discussions about personal events which carry no awareness of anyone else being witness to these so-called 'conversations'.

Any conversation can result in misunderstanding and a heated response whilst matters are being clarified, let alone driving conditions are understood, which can cause frustration.

A mobile phone needs to be respected, turmed off at the cinema/theatre (and in a public space) - and we are almost there, in understanding this rule.

It wouldn't take too much to extend this acceptance as the norm, isolating those who think they are above the law
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

PS - Why is this subject limited to STF 'Pub' ? Seems pretty mainstream to me........
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Pat Trembath wrote: A mobile phone needs to be respected, turmed off at the cinema/theatre (and in a public space) - and we are almost there, in understanding this rule.

It wouldn't take too much to extend this acceptance as the norm, isolating those who think they are above the law
all ready this illegal action. i see many car driver today still to use mobile when drive car.
i do not think rule unnerstood yet.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Alburt

Understand this law is abused by many. The same people that walk along the road not looking where they are going.

Phones are the new God and must be on and accessable at all times.

Parents should insist phones not brought to meal table .

Penalties for phones in cars should be as tough as drink driving.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with Pat - moving this thread to Town Hall

admin
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I wonder if one can buy a phone jamming signal that one could fit in a car to jam everyone else's phones. :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

That would be good. Also walking along the street.
butters

Post by butters »

Pretty sure I read a report somewhere before that said you are more distracted talking on a hands free set than you are with having a conversation with a passenger.

Not to sound like a complete luddite, but its such a shame that we are never really 'off the grid' anymore. Always contactable. Always the silent obligation to reply straight away to a text. It drives me crazy that you cant just sit on a bus anymore, and that I have to listen to several peoples trivial boring and loud conversations.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Butters
Absolutely agree - when speaking to a person present they get the visual cues , know when you are going round a difficult roundabout etc .
Agree too re the constant gibberish on buses - I find it amazing that people need to " converse " for hours - I might make the odd " do we need margarine " call but idle chatter is a pain indeed
A very good morning
Nigel
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I completely agree. Some people just don't take this law seriously enough and it isn't until there is an accident or a death that impacts with them directly that it hits home.

I implemented a policy at work with our employees when they are out in the car, that we do NOT call their mobile. The employee checks in with the office at their destination in case we need to ask anything and again when just before leaving to return to the office. It's simple.

I think a lot of the problem is that many (including me) use their phone for SatNav and they see a facebook or text pop up and cant resist checking it... which is just foolsome, I ignore all calls and notifications whilst I am driving.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Short of thought police for every risky distraction, it remains that only handhelds have been outlawed while driving, so how will those offenders be caught if fines/points are supposed to be a deterrent? Do deterrents even work when "no-one's looking", e.g. on quiet roads with no cameras or witnesses around?

More extreme jail terms might even be applied, but they are generally post-accident and of course no-on ever believes they'll cause an accident. Half of driving is looking out for unexpected antics of other vehicles or pedestrians, so even if not the cause of an accident, one might have been prevented.

So, how to get that through to phone users or catch them is the question - unless you think deterrents do work?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Cars should consist of a steering wheel and stop and start pedals!!!