driving and phones

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
davegr

Re: driving and phones

Post by davegr »

....while we are on it how about drivers wearing earphones. Almost as dangerous as cyclists wearing them.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

What's dangerous about headphones? They are it illegal. Neither are earplugs. Or in fact being deaf and driving
Lois

Post by Lois »

As an ex-police officer, driving instructor since 1994 and a smartphone user I am amazed at some of the comments on this thread!
davegr

Post by davegr »

robbieduncan wrote:What's dangerous about headphones? They are it illegal. Neither are earplugs. Or in fact being deaf and driving
It's to do with being aware of everything around you. Blocking out sound with earphones reduces that ability.

I'm not saying deaf people shouldn't drive, just that if you can hear don't take that ability away.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite correct

Its like walkers with head phones get upset when mugged. Of course I am not supporting mugging , but people do ask for it nowadays.

Walking along staring at their mobile miles away if an open opportunity for crime.

When outside either walking , driving or running one should be aware of what is happening around. So basic that that you would think every one would be alert.
butters

Post by butters »

Eagle wrote:Quite correct

Its like walkers with head phones get upset when mugged. Of course I am not supporting mugging , but people do ask for it nowadays.

Walking along staring at their mobile miles away if an open opportunity for crime.

When outside either walking , driving or running one should be aware of what is happening around. So basic that that you would think every one would be alert.
I was taught by a friend to glance behind you every ten steps when listening to headphones. Feels weird at first but you soon get used to doing it without thinking about it. I think that's an army tactic?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Butters

Better than not checking at all but a potential mugger can get a long way in 10 steps.

Please when walking look at what is around you and the local scenery. Auntie Matilda does not need to speak to you every min of the day.
mosy

Post by mosy »

There was a news snippet on TV last night about the USA's policing of texting whilst driving. Apparently they're using roadside "spotters" who hold a board saying they're monitoring, as well as using higher vehicles where the passenger spotter can see down into cars where phones might be being used out of sight from a level view. Also pedal cyclists who radio in so that a vehicle is stopped by a police vehicle a little farther along. The stats for accidents caused by texting there are seriously high as a proportion of all driving accidents. Offenders are given an on-the-spot instant $100 fine.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good idea Mosy.

However USD 100.00 fine not enough. Should be treated the same as alcohol. A ban and night in police custody.