Site next to Sainsbury's Local - Previously Sydenham Beds

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kingfisher78

Site next to Sainsbury's Local - Previously Sydenham Beds

Post by Kingfisher78 »

Hello everyone

I read that the site that used to be Sydenham Beds next to Sainsbury's Local would be fitted out and occupied by the estate agents Kinleigh Folkard and Hayward by the end of August. However, I haven't seen anyone on site yet, or any activity there. Does anyone know what is happening with the site?

At the moment the site looks pretty rough as Sydenham Beds have scrawled onto the boarding with paint, letting people know their new location. They should not have been permitted to do this, or this could have at least been painted over. Sydenham Beds could have let their customers know their new location a lot more tastefully by pinning a leaflet or notice onto the boarding. This is not to mention that the way the boarding was painted in the first place was unsightly, with them not even having bothered to paint the bottom of the boarding to make the sight look more attractive to passers by and residents.

Thank you
butters

Re: Site next to Sainsbury's Local - Previously Sydenham Bed

Post by butters »

Just what we need, another estate agents *eye roll*
alywin

Post by alywin »

Especially another estate agent well-known for bumping prices up even further than they already have been :(
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Totally agree Kingfisher. It didn't look great but was at least "tidy" before their handiwork... how can a local business be so stupid? I would refrain from giving them business for that alone...
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Does anyone have any update or news about plans for this site?
prince

Post by prince »

Hi,

Cllr Best has informed me that the unit has been let to KFH and that that they will be holding a Board meeting in early September to discuss the timeline for opening a number of shops they have acquired.

Hopefully we will be in a position to know after this.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Thank you
stuart

Post by stuart »

prince wrote:they will be holding a Board meeting in early September to discuss the timeline for opening a number of shops they have acquired.
Intriguing - I had assumed it was going to be a regular KFH branch even though the premises appear to be a big larger than one would expect. And the forward prospect for bricks'n'mortar agencies against their online competition who ain't saddled by expensive rents and negotiator salaries had me worried.

Could this 'un-opened' portfolio of shops been for another or extended purpose? Is this the subject of the board meeting - to go ahead or not with a project rather than opening yet another branch office? Is this why we have had to wait?

Stuart
prince

Post by prince »

Hi Suart,

No the intention is to open an estate agency branch.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I predict that it will stay empty and KFH will give it up at some point.

I don't think it will be occupied for at least 6 months plus. It would be far better for it to be a cafe or such like (The Perry HIll place opposite FH station would be great) as it would be grouped with Nandos and the refurbished pub with room for outside seating. I hope this approach would be encouraged by the powers that be.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

It has taken a while for anything to happen to this site. I also wonder if they are having second thoughts. Could they be waiting for a reply from Lewisham's planning department!
prince

Post by prince »

leenewham wrote:I predict that it will stay empty and KFH will give it up at some point.

I don't think it will be occupied for at least 6 months plus. It would be far better for it to be a cafe or such like (The Perry HIll place opposite FH station would be great) as it would be grouped with Nandos and the refurbished pub with room for outside seating. I hope this approach would be encouraged by the powers that be.
An excellent idea Lee, if KFH falls through. I think we would all rather have it as a place to eat. Perhaps a Pizza Express? :D
stuart

Post by stuart »

KFH --> KFC
You heard it hear first, folks.

Stuart :twisted:
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

couldn't be a pizza express.....nowhere to park the deliveroo bikes....

seriously though I always thought this would be at least 2 units due to its size.

it's massive for an estate agents, but Foxtons has a one of similar size in East Dulwich so could work I suppose.

but agree with Lee on this, and always said to my wife, that that unit would be great as restaurant or bar ....im sure a lot of us envisaged that when it was developed. shame a bit of a waste really.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Originally this unit was designated A1 (retail) and A3 (restaurant) and marketed as such. However, there was no interest.

KFH came along and an application for A2 (office) was made and agreed after discussion. So, unfortunately, this unit is unlikely to become a restaurant/bar, much as I agree that this would be great for Sydenham.

It's disappointing that, although KFH have the lease and approval for their plans for the fit out and signage was agreed last March, the work hasn't begun as yet. They were persuaded earlier this year to tidy up the site and the hoardings were painted and the area around was weeded.

I notice the site now has boards advertising security is now in force on site. Word is that work will begin this autumn and the unit should open in early spring.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Lots of units stay empty a long time. Kirkdale has a number of boarded up, empty units that have been that way for years.

Persistence works. If KFH don't fit it out, which I suspect (and hope) may be the case then it's worth trying to push for it to open as an A3 use place. But hopefully not KFC!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yes, the Greyhound 'plaza' could become a good social hub with a decent restaurant to add to Nando's complemented with Sugahill & Blue Mountain across the road.

There is a chance we could be getting the Co-op taking over the hard pressed Nisa around the corner to compete directly with Sainsbury's Local (which we are now boycotting over the Fairtrade sell-out). The Co-op would be much more effective competition: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41094923

Who is going to try and make it happen?

Stuart
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Bumping this up.

The positive response from from the council regarding the Nandos planning application, and the greyhound now going great guns, I feel the next step on the crusade is this unit (in this section of the high street anyway).

I applaud the people on this forum, and any other local groups, for their time, effort and care they have for Sydenham and their persistence for answers and action.

Too many to name.....however while momentum is high let's get on KFHs back, and pester the local cuncillors, to get some dialogue going on what is going on.....and what can be done!
rustya

Post by rustya »

fully agree, however do we actually know when they start paying for their premises ?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Can’t they change it back so that Pizza Express could takevit on? They would be more than likely to show interest once Nandos and The Greyhound are in place and the site tidied up...