High Street banners

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydres

Re: High Street banners

Post by sydres »

So banners are still looking a mess.

Can we get some action please rather than words.
sydres

Post by sydres »

So we are still waiting for someone at the Council to take responsibility for taking down the street banners....or actually fix them.

Only been over 5 months now why rush!
prince

Post by prince »

This is very disappointing. I have noticed some of the said banners are now in the carriageway. I would have rescued them but I didn't want to be run over!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Meanwhile in Herne Hill:

The Olympic banners didn't end up in the same state as the Sydenham ones either.

I wish Lewisham would sort out their procurement. Putting everything with one company (Skandia) was short sighted. There is one company that did the banners mentioned above and they are excellent.

They could sort it very quickly. My guess is that LB Lewisham can't due to rigid contracts they have entered into for their lighting contracts.
JayB

Post by JayB »

You are right about Herne Hill. I lived there in the 1980s when it was considered a slum. It is completely unrecognisable now .What makes it different to Sydenham in my view is that numerous journalists, TV presenters, actors, newsreaders and poiticians live there and do they know how to make a fuss and get things done.I can assure you things don't take 5 months up there.
It is not all about beautification, transport issues for that area are raised in the press,TV and politics as soon as they emerge. The council fell short of their expectations on one occasion-with the Carnegie library and look at the press and TV coverage it got.You would have thought Lambeth Council were shooting people in the street!Have you seen the huge old style- railway sign saying "Herne Hill" under the Half Moon Bridge? Bit better than some skanky banner eh? But other than kidnapping celebs i don't know how we bring about similar changes here.I don't have freinds in the House of Lords so can't help and i'm sad to say that sort of social capital goes a very long way these days.:mrgreen:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Herne Hill sign was great. I think it was crowdfunded (or maybe the Hither Green one was, which is the same style).

It's by Brockley resident Lionel Stanhope. He's done some lovely work.
http://globalstreetart.com/lionel-stanhope

It would be nice if this sort of thing would be supported here, but it doesn't seem to be.
prince

Post by prince »

I have spoken to skanska about the banners today for I am very concerned that they are now falling off lighting columns onto the carriageway which will cause an accident. They have assured me that an order has been raised by the Council and that they will be removed on Sunday 23rd April.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Don't bank on it. They failed to complete the Lightning scheme in the Thorpes, then claimed that they had replaced all the old lights when they hadn't until confronted with photographic evidence to the contrary, then promised to complete the outstanding works by Christmas, failed, promised to do it early in the new year, failed again, now say that it will be done at some unspecified date in the future when new stock becomes available. The saga of the banners is an utter disgrace. They look horrible and have done so for months. I guess the threat of a possible action for damages if one of them causes an accident has prompted their promise to remove them. But why wait- why can't they do it immediately? Bunch of cowboys!
prince

Post by prince »

sparticus wrote:Don't bank on it. They failed to complete the Lightning scheme in the Thorpes, then claimed that they had replaced all the old lights when they hadn't until confronted with photographic evidence to the contrary, then promised to complete the outstanding works by Christmas, failed, promised to do it early in the new year, failed again, now say that it will be done at some unspecified date in the future when new stock becomes available. The saga of the banners is an utter disgrace. They look horrible and have done so for months. I guess the threat of a possible action for damages if one of them causes an accident has prompted their promise to remove them. But why wait- why can't they do it immediately? Bunch of cowboys!
Where in the thorpes? As far as I am aware all the ones that were scheduled to be replaced have been?
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

prince wrote:
Where in the thorpes? As far as I am aware all the ones that were scheduled to be replaced have been?
Princethorpe
prince

Post by prince »

iandavenport wrote:
prince wrote:
Princethorpe
I understood they were not replacing the lights in Princethorpe for they were relatively new. I also much prefer the lights in Princethorpe anyway.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

prince wrote:
iandavenport wrote:
prince wrote:
Princethorpe
I understood they were not replacing the lights in Princethorpe for they were relatively new. I also much prefer the lights in Princethorpe anyway.

as i understood it the plan was to have the whole Thorpes estate with a uniform style of lights - whether you prefer the new ones or the original, or the adapted ones in Princethorpe, is down to personal taste, but once the order had been made to have the same throughout, it would seem strange to stop at the last step - but then this was presumably a LBL contract , so who knows?
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

The contract was to replace all the lanterns. The columns in Princethorpe were to be retained as they were in better condition than those in the other streets. I'm not a great fan of the new "Dickens by Disney" lamps myself, but they do give better light and in Princethorpe there are some dark spots. These spiv outsourcing companies need to be held to their contracts when they take the p**s like this.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

apparently, according to a friend who works at Skanska (but not this area) the Lewisham lighting contract is now textbook for how not to do it in Skanska literature, as they're losing huge sums of money on it, and will be for 15 years, due to the large amount of 'victorian infrastructure', they reckon they got done a right kipper, but they have to keep to what's in the contract now.

I complained when the new lights went in on our street, 4 or 5 years ago? and I chased it up every 6 months, and they've only just got round to fitting a shade to the front of the lamp to stop it shining right into my bedroom window.

but back to the banners - keep complaining and you'll get a result eventually.
try this email address - clstreetlighting@skanska.co.uk or 0800 028 5986
prince

Post by prince »

Good to see the banners have been removed as promised!