Estate Agent's Boards

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syenhamboy

Estate Agent's Boards

Post by syenhamboy »

I notice that these are going up all over the place even when there aren't properties at that location For Sale or For Rent
Silverdale House in Silverdale Road next to the alley to Sydenham Station every so often a van pulls up and nails 5 or 6 boards up to advertise the estate agents with For Sales and For Rents and Let By and Sold By despite no properties being up for sale. It's just an excuse to put up agent's signs for advertising.

More and more of these signs are going up all over the place just to keep the agents advertising boards up.

In my eyes they're a complete eyesore and do nothing to enhance the area. They also are a hazard as they're in line with people's faces and when the signs come down they don't remove the nails from the walls and they stick out causing harm to children and rip clothes (I myself have had a pair of work suit trousers ripped by the screws jutting out.
Pedder, Property World and Uniplan are all equally guilty of this.
danmarwil

Re: Estate Agent's Boards

Post by danmarwil »

Robinson Jackson put one up on my fence, they do let a flat in the building but it's a long term let so surely no need for the sign until the lease comes up? It has not been removed even after numerous phone calls...
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Bromley are very quick to remove signs:
https://fix.bromley.gov.uk/around?lat=5 ... 741&zoom=3

But they shouldn't have to.

Last year I complained to National Association of Estate Agents about Uniplan as breaching the conduct and membership rules of the NAEA, as well as the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007. **

Their response was pretty feeble. Despite using the word "Regulation" all over their website they don't do any self-regulation:
Please be advised that whilst we do require members of our Association to comply with the law and relevant industry Codes, such as The Property Ombudsman’s Code of Practice you have quoted; matters of this nature would first need to be raised with the relevant authority, which in this case would be the Planning Department of the local council.

To this effect, should a member of our Association be found to be in breach of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007, by the relevant authority, we would then be in apposition to take action accordingly.

Regards
Hadley James Easterlow MNAEA

For reference:

http://www.nfopp-regulation.co.uk/media ... -Rules.pdf

Letting Boards
6b You must not erect any form of letting board at a property unless you have been instructed to market that property for rent.
6c You can only erect a letting board with the specific permission of the client.
6d Any board you do erect must be appropriate for the occasion.
6e When you put up a board you must by law comply with the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007
angela53

Post by angela53 »

To make matters worse they also spring up at this time of year in peoples gardens, advertising school Christmas Fairs - They make the place look so ugly
mosy

Post by mosy »

During a particularly bad period last year, "Let by" and "Sold by" boards had accumulated and been left for months so certainly longer than the 14 days allowed after a concluded event. I telephoned several and they did check and remove out of date boards. They soon spring up again though.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

With the internet are the boards really necessary
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

What does Uniplan, Pedder and Property World have to say about this, I know they read these forums, Le'ts have a statement from each of you please!!!!!!!!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Is there any reason why one shouldn't just take them down ? Being careful of course not to damage fences and walls ?

We had one on a communal fence and I assure you it was down and sawn into 4 pieces no more than 10 minutes after my first cigarette of the day .

I agree they are an eyesore and very counterproductive in the long run - I would be much keener to buy into an area where nobody seems to move out - rather than a shanty transit-camp that these boards suggest .

A very good morning
Nigel
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Nigel wrote:Is there any reason why one shouldn't just take them down ? Being careful of course not to damage fences and walls ?

We had one on a communal fence and I assure you it was down and sawn into 4 pieces no more than 10 minutes after my first cigarette of the day .

I agree they are an eyesore and very counterproductive in the long run - I would be much keener to buy into an area where nobody seems to move out - rather than a shanty transit-camp that these boards suggest .

A very good morning
Nigel
The 3 that have been put up on our communal fence have met the same fate!
alywin

Post by alywin »

The ones which really bug me are the ones around Bailey Place, off Newlands Park. Sometimes there are so many that they entirely block your view of any buses which may be arriving if you're trying to catch a bus from Penge East. I'm not sure they're technically a hazard, but they are certainly very annoying.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

I agree with Nigel. Just take them down. Acorn put a board up a while back outside my property, my neighbour's flat downstairs is let and they are the agent. The flat is a long lease and the current tenants have been in residence for about 7 years. I immediately took it down, I need some timber for a job I was doing in the garden and this was perfect. I was delighted to find a couple of days later they put up another board. I needed just another small piece of wood to complete the job. They decided not to put up a third board.

Howard
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Howard
You struck a blow for the environment too ! Recycling and getting rid of those awful boards .
I need to make a new compost bin for my garden and will follow your example .
A very good morning
Nigel
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

danmarwil wrote:Robinson Jackson put one up on my fence, they do let a flat in the building but it's a long term let so surely no need for the sign until the lease comes up? It has not been removed even after numerous phone calls...
You could take it off and just leave it outside their door, or even better just walk in with it and leave it in the lobby.
I did the former with ours and some guy came out and asked what I was doing. Funny conversation ensued.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

angela53 wrote:To make matters worse they also spring up at this time of year in peoples gardens, advertising school Christmas Fairs - They make the place look so ugly
They raise money for schools - pretty tough to argue against those?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

1 persons Living room window
3 SOLD by Robin Jackson
1 LET by Pedder

syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

I think we should photograph and add any inappropriate boards to this thread.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Everything in this picture screams 'failed planning system'.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Silverdale House in Silverdale Road.

Not one property actually on offer

mosy

Post by mosy »

syenhamboy wrote:Silverdale House in Silverdale Road.

Not one property actually on offer
I noticed they seem to have been breeding themselves there even more than usual lately. I wonder if some ever even had a property on their books.

If anyone asks the respective agents to take them down, could they please also ask them not to leave dangerous 2"+ nails sticking out of the brickwork. (Little kids tend to trail their hands along walls - I've stopped one or two in the past.)