Budgens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Re: Budgens

Post by JRobinson »

maybe someone will buy and turn it into something we locals want, like maybe a cinema...?
RJM

Post by RJM »

According to https://lewishamlostcinemas.wordpress.c ... t-cinemas/ that site did used to be a (very ugly) cinema... Scroll down for Sydenham.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

What a shame that it looks like the High Street may be blighted by a large empty unit. As Sydenham was not one of the 12 stores offered for closure in the proposed and rejected creditors voluntary agreement, does that mean that it was not making a loss, horrible though Budgens is? And I feel really sorry for the staff. Presumably they would have been TUPE'd over from the Coop, but if the curent employer is in administration they are probably screwed. I have my gas and electricity from the Coop and I bank with them (about to be flogged off) and I used to do all my major shopping in the Sydenham store. Time for some changes I think.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

I think its clear that if a food store takes its place, it is going to struggle. I haven't lived in the area long but Lidl always seems to be packed and Budgens deserted.

However, with a unit that size I can't really see what else it would be other than a medium-sized food store - perhaps Tesco or Sainsbury's Local will move down there, freeing up space for a smaller shop further up the High St?

Poundland has been mentioned but there are quite a lot of similar existing shops and, at the risk of sounding snobbish, it wouldn't be an ideal addition in my humble opinion. Unless of course it becomes flats... :?
parker

Post by parker »

A miniature Asda like the one in Deptford would be ideal. I wonder if somebody on this forum knows Sean Clarke CEO of Asda and would like to tell him. It's not as long a shot as Waitrose and M&S.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I'd have thought it's an ideal size for something like Iceland?
alywin

Post by alywin »

Guess I'll never get to set foot in the place, then.

But it's the poor staff I feel sorry for. We *do* need a decent-sized food store in Sydenham, whatever it is.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Parker1970 wrote:I'd have thought it's an ideal size for something like Iceland?
Good idea, being a different attractiion, since the shop is sandwiched between other pretty good food offerings and we're lucky enough to have small independent shops too.

I'm truly hoping that Sydenham shops won't be scuppered by business rate rises seemingly on the horizon.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

I imagine Sydenham should be a net beneficiary of business rate rises, given the lower rents relative to surrounding areas.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Not sure if this has been posted already but I spotted this last year:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegr ... -year/amp/
So coop opening more stores again... surely the Sydenham store wasn't that poor at making money.
I would like to see them back, personally. Hope the staff don't lose their jobs. Agree that Budgets is pretty dire.
Sue
butters

Post by butters »

I would def prefer an Aldi or a small asda, if anything to take the strain off Lidl, which is so poorly laid out and always packed, I swear I need a valium just to navigate the busy aisles, let alone deal with the staff hollering and shouting at each other.

Side note, why is it that Saturday mornings seem to be the busiest times for pensioners to do their shopping? they have all week!

theres my Monday moan sorted :)
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Perhaps because many of us are still working!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I'd prefer an M & S or Waitrose! :D
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Went into Budgens yesterday for the very first - and last - time, as the windows were plastered with notices saying they are closing in 4 days, all stock must go, many items reduced. I was very surprised how expensive most items are, so no wonder the shop didn't succeed. And there wasn't a great deal that was reduced.. although the wines were 40% off.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

What about Wilkinson ("Wilko") - there is one in Penge which almost reflects the old Woolworths style. Useful stuff and not necessarily a bargain basement range.

Would provide a useful different option to the Poundland style stores already on the High Street (which I use quite often I should add - nothing against them)
butters

Post by butters »

Walked past earlier, 50% and 75% off.....
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Sad news for those employees of the local Budgens.

http://www.talkingretail.com/category-n ... res-close/

Would be nice for it to remain as a food retail outlet, but it doesn't look good.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Such a shame, both for the staff concerned, who have effectively been shafted by the "caring sharing" Coop when they flogged it off to a bunch of spivs. And also Sydenham generally. I can't see any other major retailer taking it on. I guess the most likely option is that it will remain empty, blighting that end of the High Street, until it's redeveloped into flats.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Not quite Phillip Green territory but I get your drift. Are we still the only London postcode without a Co-op?
Pretty annoyed at the screw-up at the Bank who were brilliant to me for 40 years. And am I alone in also being annoyed the Green Co-op has spent a load of dosh going Tory Blue?

Up the Divi!
Stuart (on behalf of the Sydenham Liberation Front)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They went back to their original colour.

They still have their principles and did what they had to do to ensure their future. I still love them and don't blame them for not staying in Sydenham.