Budgens

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sydenham Syd

Re: Budgens

Post by Sydenham Syd »

stuart wrote:Not quite Phillip Green territory but I get your drift. Are we still the only London postcode without a Co-op?
Pretty annoyed at the screw-up at the Bank who were brilliant to me for 40 years. And am I alone in also being annoyed the Green Co-op has spent a load of dosh going Tory Blue?

Up the Divi!
Stuart (on behalf of the Sydenham Liberation Front)
Is that the same as the Liberation Front of Sydenham? :wink:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Obviously apart from feeling sad for the staff my main upset is that the Amazon locker in that store was so convenient.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Here is the press statement put out by PwC on the 7 March:

Michael Denny, Robert Moran and Matthew Hammond of PwC were appointed as Joint Administrators of Food Retailer Operations Limited (“FROL”) on 10 February 2017.

FROL operated 34 convenience stores across the UK, which trade under the Budgens brand and employ 815 people. It also held the leasehold interests in a further 36 non-trading stores, two non-trading properties and the head office of the former Somerfield business.

Since its acquisition of the stores from Co-op in July 2016, the Company had experienced difficult trading conditions. This resulted in the Company being placed into administration despite sustained efforts to make the business more commercially viable.

Following their appointment, the Administrators have been assessing interest in the business. As a result, following the closure of nine stores at the weekend, the remaining 25 stores will, regrettably, cease trading over the course of the next two weeks with the loss of the remaining 611 jobs.

Mike Denny, Joint Administrator, PwC, said:

“Unfortunately, we have been unable to find a buyer and it is not commercially viable to continue trading the stores.

"We are working closely with the Co-op, USDAW and the relevant government agencies to ensure that all employees receive the maximum levels of practical and financial support through the redundancy process.”

If there are people interested in taking over the empty shop I suggest they contact PwC to see if they will consider a local solution as the administrators haven't been able to find a buyer for the company.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Sorry, I don't have time to read through all the posts but does anyone know what will happen to the site?

We have been here ten years and its the first time we have been without a medium-sized 'decent' supermarket in that time. I know we are lucky to have PFC, Lidl and Tesco but there are some things they just don't stock and Lidl is just so slow most of the time.

I probably went to Budgens five times in six months because I found that shop very frustrating - it would have some 'high quality' products but then not have basics and it was soooo slow in there. I have been driving to Bell Green Sainsburys and Waitrose so much more since the Co-Op left - which is not good for the environment. Even Forest Hill has a half-decent Sainsburys. Surely somewhere as big as Sydenham needs something similar?

I know I was not alone in being very sad the Co-Op left - we were in there all the time!
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Poppy,

You could try using the Sainsbury's Local behind the Windmill pub, it will have some items that the others do not and I find it the most pleasant shopping experience of all the local food shops.

Howard
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Howard Staunton wrote:Poppy,

You could try using the Sainsbury's Local behind the Windmill pub, it will have some items that the others do not and I find it the most pleasant shopping experience of all the local food shops.

Howard
Do you mean behind the Greyhound?
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

Apologies. I had a brainstorm. I do mean behind The Greyhound. Thanks you for the correction.

Howard
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Totally. With the combined resources of the Sainsbury's behind the Greyhound, PFC, Fresh & Fruity and Well-Being, I have no reason to leave Sydenham for food shopping. I always found the Co-Op to be overpriced and gruelling and Budgens was just a joke. I do miss the Co-Op for their own brand cleaning products cos they were totally cruelty-free...
alywin

Post by alywin »

The trouble with Sainsbury's Locals is still that they don't have a wide enough range, even this one, which is relatively big. So I still find myself going into Penge ...