154-158 Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kingfisher78

154-158 Sydenham Road

Post by Kingfisher78 »

Does anyone know what is happening with this building?https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=158+s ... xutJkX1hM:
It's a real eyesore at the moment, and the large space could be used for something.

The last I could find was this planning application on the Lewisham Planning website http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_83579 which was denied in August 2016.
Timbo79

Re: 154-158 Sydenham Road

Post by Timbo79 »

Looks like info here http://www.familymosaicsales.co.uk/medi ... -lewisham/

Although that says due for completion spring 17 so may be out of date!
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

33 houses!

Guess they are just late starting the development. It looks like something is happening there now.

See more : http://www.davysmitharchitects.co.uk/pr ... nham-road/
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

At the moment looks like somewhere the army would use for rifle practice !
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

The Sydenham Soc news Winter 2016 says the development application has been refused "on the grounds that the Sydenham Rd frontage was too big and bulky and too close to houses in Hillmore Grove to the rear".
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I just received this from Mosaic, who are behind the build:

"154-158 Sydenham Road has not hit the target of Spring 2017 due to planning issues, in turn planning permission not being granted in the timeframes expected . We are still working with our consultants and liaising with Lewisham Council in order to find a solution.

Regards

Alex Fenner
Assistant Land Manager (BSc Hons)
New Business

Family Mosaic
Albion House
20 Queen Elizabeth Street
London
SE1 2RJ"
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Compared to the other crap they allowed in Sydenham, this seems rather churlish.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

Sydenham Syd wrote:I just received this from Mosaic, who are behind the build:

"154-158 Sydenham Road has not hit the target of Spring 2017 due to planning issues, in turn planning permission not being granted in the timeframes expected . We are still working with our consultants and liaising with Lewisham Council in order to find a solution.

Regards

Alex Fenner
Assistant Land Manager (BSc Hons)
New Business

Family Mosaic
Albion House
20 Queen Elizabeth Street
London
SE1 2RJ"
Thank you for this Sydenham Syd
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Good news! Lewisham Council says an application has been lodged to get this site going again.

From the Jan 10 planning round up:

154-158 Sydenham Road SE26 submitted obo CMA Planning - Construction of a part 2/ part 3-storey building fronting Sydenham Road providing 17, one, two and three bedroom self contained flats, 155sq.m commercial floor space (Use Classes A1, A2, B1, D1, D2), the construction of a part 2/ part 3-storey building at the rear of the site comprising 10, three
bedroom single dwelling-houses, 1, one bedroom self-contained flat and 1, two bedroom self-contained maisonette (DC/17/104571)

29 houses seems somewhat low for a site that so close to the station - and two-three storeys is mad when the Victorian builders easily managed four or five round here.

Still, if the nimbies hadn't blocked it the first time around there'd be 30 families living there now, rather than a derelict office block.
Last edited by TredownMan on 17 Jan 2018 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

It turns out the papers for this were lodged in November, and can be seen here: http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_92473

A few changes:

Overall the development will be smaller by one x one-bedroom flat (a total of 29 units instead of 30). Compared to the previous scheme, it removes the mansard roof on the row fronting the high street, which was to contain a flat.

The row of terraced houses will also be smaller, to take into account the complaints of neighbours to the rear about overlooking. The pitched roofs will be replaced with flat ones, and they've shrunk the size of the top-floor bedrooms, so they overlook a flatroof, rather than looking straight down over the houses' rear garden.

Overall the effect is to quite dramatically shrink the floorspace of the entire site by 10%. The three-bed homes shrink by a chunky 21sqm to 118sqm, which is a shame for people who want to live in a family home, but clearly it's getting harder to developers to build decent sized houses.

The exterior design is good though, and better than a derelict building site, so let's hope it gets approved asap.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I wonder when work will start on the other end of that block at the Knighton Park Rd corner - I think it was posted here that is going to be turned into flats. Anyone know?
prince

Post by prince »

TredownMan wrote:It turns out the papers for this were lodged in November, and can be seen here: http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_92473

A few changes:

Overall the development will be smaller by one x one-bedroom flat (a total of 29 units instead of 30). Compared to the previous scheme, it removes the mansard roof on the row fronting the high street, which was to contain a flat.

The row of terraced houses will also be smaller, to take into account the complaints of neighbours to the rear about overlooking. The pitched roofs will be replaced with flat ones, and they've shrunk the size of the top-floor bedrooms, so they overlook a flatroof, rather than looking straight down over the houses' rear garden.

Overall the effect is to quite dramatically shrink the floorspace of the entire site by 10%. The three-bed homes shrink by a chunky 21sqm to 118sqm, which is a shame for people who want to live in a family home, but clearly it's getting harder to developers to build decent sized houses.

The exterior design is good though, and better than a derelict building site, so let's hope it gets approved asap.

Thanks for your very useful summary of the changes to the application. The applicants have positively responded to the initial concerns and I think the scheme is now much improved and I will be writing in to support it.
KPR

Post by KPR »

I agree that this looks very nice - at least going on the leaflet that came through the letterbox the other day. They’re doing a presentation at the Lovely Gallery on Thursday 25th in the evening.

As for the development at the other end - site fenced off but nothing happening so far. Usual way with builders I guess - waiting for warmer weather?
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Did anyone attend the exhibition? What did they think?

I'd encourage anyone who likes the look of the scheme - or indeed would like to live in it themselves - to drop the council a short email at planning@lewisham.gov.uk. I think it's so sad this site has sat empty for so long - 30 new families would bring so much life to this bit of the high road.
Sydemocracy

Post by Sydemocracy »

TredownMan wrote:Did anyone attend the exhibition? What did they think?

I'd encourage anyone who likes the look of the scheme - or indeed would like to live in it themselves - to drop the council a short email at planning@lewisham.gov.uk. I think it's so sad this site has sat empty for so long - 30 new families would bring so much life to this bit of the high road.
I attended the consultation at the Lovely gallery last month. The developers (Peabody) and architects have made a number of thoughtful and considered adjustments to the develepment here, based on feedback from local residents.

Unfortunately, it appears that this isn't enough for the Sydenham Society who are going to object (again) based on the grumbles of a few NIMBY members/residents on Hilmore Grove. Just to remind you all, this is a much needed development of a brownfield site that will comprise 100% affordable homes, managed by the non-profit Peabody Trust.

It's been discussed (at length) in previous posts, but if the Sydenham Society continues to be recognised by the Council as a community voice/forum, then it needs to be more transparent in its policy and decision making with regards to local planning. Does it represent a few noisy NIMBYs, or the wider interests of our community?
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

That's really disappointing to hear.

I and others have repeatedly asked on this forum for Sydenham Soc to be more open about their planning submissions but in particular for this site. No answer. Why?

If you can't build some modest terraced houses on a derelict haulage yard opposite a Kwik Fit on a main road, then frankly houses will never be built. Honestly, what would people prefer to see on this horrible site?

I'd encourage people who'd rather see homes rather than derelict land to email the council at planning@lewisham.gov.uk with their support.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Sydemocracy wrote:if the Sydenham Society continues to be recognised by the Council as a community voice/forum
What is this status? To challenge it, you need to say what it is.

Ok. Found it. Here on the list of default consultees

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... ger.page=2

That's how this is institutionalalised. It's unlikely to change as long as Chris Best is around.

Question now is whether any comment has been made, and why it should not be published. I would have thought it should be online, but also available for public viewing at the Town Hall, assuming planning is still based down there
Last edited by Tim Lund on 13 Feb 2018 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

According to the Lewisham council website they do have a recognised role within planning, if I'm right in believing they are recognised as an Amenity Society.

When would an application be referred to planning committee?
When three or more objections or petitions are received, or if an objection is received from an amenity society (Blackheath Society, Telegraph Hill Society etc.), then the application will automatically be referred to planning committee.

I'm sure Syd Soc will correct if that's not the case and I'm mistaken
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I wrote in favour of it. I think the plans look good.

Are we sure the Sydenham Society has objected? If they have, can they explain why? Compared to most things built in Sydenham this is far superior scheme, the sort that should be encouraged, both for its design and for the fact that it offers 'affordable' homes.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Admin - Not sure if it would be helpful/useful to link or merge this thread with the “Sydenham Society” thread as there appears a running theme between the two...