Save Beer Rebellion - we need your help!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tompski

Re: Save Beer Rebellion - we need your help!

Post by Tompski »

Hello all,

I think it's probably best that The Poodle Club start their own thread about their new business, and very good luck to you, sincerely, if you end up serving any nice beers or ales on tap in your club then I'm sure you'll end up making good friends with any disgruntled Beer Rebellion Die-Hards, decent beer is hard to find in the pubs on the high street! This thread was started by Matthew to try to save a bar that many people including myself were very fond of, we ended up with a group of almost 30 people ready and willing to put money in to do the place up and make it the bar it could have been and really make a go of it, it was a real proposition and was gaining momentum, until we were very suddenly told out of the blue by the landlord that he'd taken a different offer, perhaps Karen you weren't given that information when the landlord told you it was vacent. A good bar/pub is by no means a "Niche" thing as someone tried to allude earlier in the thread Ale is big business these days, I just think people need to understand although it eventually closed there were a lot of people behind the scenes trying to keep it alive, many of whom are on this forum which is why we are getting some understandable clashes, no one is against new business it should be welcomed and encouraged, it just might be a little raw to the people that really wanted to see Beer rebellion grow and thrive, we'll get over it, most of us probably have. It had a great community spirit to it and was run by very lovely people.

My name is Tom, some of you may know me, I was the person that organised the Jam night once a month with local musicians, it was a lot of fun, and this business of the upstairs family complaining was ironically on a night after the pub was actually already closed so a case of mistaken identity on their part, I don't know of any other complaints as a result of noise from the bar. But as you've had the place sound proofed we'd love to come back if you want some live improv music in the place.

So can someone start a Poodle club thread? I think that might placate people that feel it is in bad taste having this discussion on the warm ashes of a thread started in ernest by someone trying to rescue a different business.

Good luck Poodle people!

PS Karen , Catford Timber yard has now closed permanently, so maybe you could put a bit of wooden cladding up next to the beer tap and we'll all get on just fine!
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Tompski wrote:Hello all,

I think it's probably best that The Poodle Club start their own thread about their new business, and very good luck to you, sincerely, if you end up serving any nice beers or ales on tap in your club then I'm sure you'll end up making good friends with any disgruntled Beer Rebellion Die-Hards, decent beer is hard to find in the pubs on the high street! This thread was started by Matthew to try to save a bar that many people including myself were very fond of, we ended up with a group of almost 30 people ready and willing to put money in to do the place up and make it the bar it could have been and really make a go of it, it was a real proposition and was gaining momentum, until we were very suddenly told out of the blue by the landlord that he'd taken a different offer, perhaps Karen you weren't given that information when the landlord told you it was vacent. A good bar/pub is by no means a "Niche" thing as someone tried to allude earlier in the thread Ale is big business these days, I just think people need to understand although it eventually closed there were a lot of people behind the scenes trying to keep it alive, many of whom are on this forum which is why we are getting some understandable clashes, no one is against new business it should be welcomed and encouraged, it just might be a little raw to the people that really wanted to see Beer rebellion grow and thrive, we'll get over it, most of us probably have. It had a great community spirit to it and was run by very lovely people.

My name is Tom, some of you may know me, I was the person that organised the Jam night once a month with local musicians, it was a lot of fun, and this business of the upstairs family complaining was ironically on a night after the pub was actually already closed so a case of mistaken identity on their part, I don't know of any other complaints as a result of noise from the bar. But as you've had the place sound proofed we'd love to come back if you want some live improv music in the place.

So can someone start a Poodle club thread? I think that might placate people that feel it is in bad taste having this discussion on the warm ashes of a thread started in ernest by someone trying to rescue a different business.

Good luck Poodle people!

PS Karen , Catford Timber yard has now closed permanently, so maybe you could put a bit of wooden cladding up next to the beer tap and we'll all get on just fine!

Hi Tom,

If there is a willingless to keep the Beer Rebellion going is there not a possibility of having it re-open in one of the many vacant properties on the High Street? I see the owner of the Jamaican takeaway/restaurant next to the fish and chip shop is selling and the Ladbrookes up by Newlands Park is also now empty.

I guess these places would need to be completly refurbished but if enough people are keen then surely you could fnd the help to get it up and running again?
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

Any news on when The Poodle Club is going to open? the amount of time it's taken to complete the revamp makes me think it's going to be spectacular.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Facebook suggests the end of October - the refurbishment turned out to need more than they expected.
clembot

Post by clembot »

Honestly, this forum is a cheap gag in it's own right.

Good luck Miss0, I'm well up for a laugh.