Car break in

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Jacks

Car break in

Post by Jacks »

Just wanted to make everyone aware that there have been a spate of car break-ins in the local area. Mine was just done this afternoon in broad daylight in my driveway on Silverdale near the station (in the last two hours so if anyone saw anything, let me know!) and I know of at least one other in the last week, same area.

Clearly an opportunist as there was nothing on display but I don't think it was a coincidence that I wasn't in at the time. I have of course reported it to 101 but wanted to make the wider community aware so everyone can be vigilant!
prince

Re: Car break in

Post by prince »

Thanks. There has been a spate around the Thorpes as well.
ged

Post by ged »

This was also mentioned on the se23 forum.

https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13185
mosy

Post by mosy »

Has anyone speculated on the motive for the car break-ins if there is nothing visible to steal that would encourage an opportunist crime? Is there any pattern, e.g. make or model?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

There were 3 car break ins in Collingtree rd ( off Kirkdale, just round the corner from the SE23 ones) 3 weeks ago.
2 reported to the police and me who didn't bother. Mine is an old car and they got 5 year old sat nav in the glove box (which I've used 3 times so replaced with an up to date map) and £4 in the ashtray. Turned the 2 bags for the charity shop upside down and had a rummage, moved the seats to look under but didn't bother with the boot.
One of the cars had it's window broken to get in, mine and the other probably had something slid between the window and door. Either that or they picked the lock with no damage.
They will move onto a different area soon I guess.