The Butchers on the high st ........

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fuzzy logic

The Butchers on the high st ........

Post by fuzzy logic »

Any idea what is going on there ?

Have new people taken it over ........ ?

I always try and support the local business' eg going to butcher or the grocer ...... have they been reluctantly forced to sell up ?
fuzzy logic

Post by fuzzy logic »

Come on !! .........lot's of views ........... but no replies ??????
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Do you mean Richards next to NatWest? I seem to recall the couple running it were getting old. Perhaps they decided to retire?

Yes it was there on 8th March - but it is now gone Halal. What a shame - when we came to Sydenham 20 years ago there were, I think, three high street butchers. Now there are none.

Sorry I can't include the replacement. People who kill in a way that puts religious rite above the welfare of the animals facing death should be resisted - or boycotted in my case.

Any suggestions where now is the best place to get 'hung' meat.
annabel mclaren

The butcher on the high street

Post by annabel mclaren »

Mr Boston the Butcher on Perry Hill (in the parade past the new Tesco Express) is brilliant - lots of organic stuff and all beautifully presented. Great service too!
oin

Post by oin »

When I moved to Sydenham, one of the things I was really chuffed about was having a good local butcher. Unfortunately, I found Richard's quality quickly deteriorating. What seemed like the "quality butcher" it purported to be rapidly became rubbish. There was a very limited selection and some of the meat was awful (including some revolting, inedible chicken!).

So, much as I bemoan the loss of a high street butcher, I won't miss Richard's per se.

Thanks for recommending Mr Boston, annabel. Alas that's a way away from me.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Yes, Richards was pretty awful in my experience. We only moved to Sydenham last year, but I popped in there a couple of times and was really disappointed by the quality of the stock and the level of service. I've ended up having to order my meat direct, or head into town to buy from the Ginger Pig. It's not convenient, but at least the quality is there.