RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by leenewham »

There are rumours spreading on Facebook about Cobs corner that Nandos is coming along with a cinema.

It comes from people who live in the building that the old wedding dress shop will become a Nandos, possibly along with the CAB office. It makes sense to combine food and film, especially with the old snooker hall laying empty and the old nightclub. Could they link all 3 spaces?

I hope it's more than a rumour (although I'm no fan of Nandos personally, they always look good). normally I woudn't post rumours, but this gives it some validity:

There is a planning application to convert the wedding dress shop to restaurant use (A3):
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_88422

This matches the rumours regarding Nandos as it takes half the CAB site.
Last edited by leenewham on 31 Mar 2017 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Parker1970

Re: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Parker1970 »

I do like a cheeky nando's personally, financially it may be my downfall as I am just across the road :)

Nando's and a cinema would be a decent addition in my opinion. At least Nando's is a step up from the KFC style chicken venues.
prince

Post by prince »

Thanks for the info.

The architect who is acting as the applicants agent is Alan Camp Architects who represented Nandos on their Lewisham premises.

I think it's fair to say it must be them and I personally think it would be a welcome addition to Sydenham.

It would be amazing if we also had a cinema but with the picture house in East dulwich and the Odeon in Beckenham I don't know how realistic this is. However I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong!
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

On the plans there are two pages at the end that mention carluccios and pizza express. What is that? Is that just potential examples?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

A group of friends looked at me like I was mad when I said that I had never been to a Nando's - I'd have a go if there was a local branch.

I'd definitely use a local cinema that I could walk to as well.

Really hopeful that these rumours are true. With The Alexandra and Greyhound as new openings, there is quite a bit more going for Sydenham and this could foster more positive additions as footfall increases.

Yay for sydenham
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Personally
Less than thrilled st a Nando's - went once and hated it - I'm not sure how much of an asset it would be . Paired with a cinema - different story and I I do think we could sustain a small cinema .

Really hope it's a carluccio or pizza express if it is to be a chain - but I just can't get worked up about chicken establishments

A very good evening
Nigel
angela53

Post by angela53 »

We are on the same page Nigel
stuart

Post by stuart »

Same here. I've only been twice (once in Birmingham and once in Beckenham). The fact I can remember both distinctly is not good. Awful food, awful decor and utter disorganisation.

But, for reasons I cannot comprehend, my kids love it - first choice for them. So I guess I might see more of them if Nando's comes to Sydenham. Convenient for meeting in [cough] The Greyhound afterwards.

Pizza Express, on the other hand, is OK.

Stuart
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I visit Nandos and Pizza Express equally often so I'd welcome either. If its to be a Nandos, it will do well - they're very popular with my [the child - 30s] demographic. Nandos tends to be busier than Pizza Express, especially in the evenings, meaning it would take a lot of money. Pizza Express tends to have large branches, I'm not sure whether Cobbs or many units on Sydenham High St would be big enough.

As for a cinema, I'm very sceptical about that. I can't see it coming, or if it did, lasting very long. Odeon Beckenham is hardly busy, let alone a cinema in Sydenham.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

The Clown wrote: Really hopeful that these rumours are true. With The Alexandra and Greyhound as new openings, there is quite a bit more going for Sydenham and this could foster more positive additions as footfall increases.

Yay for sydenham
I defiantly believe 2017 will see increased change in Sydenham. The area is being heavily promoted as "up and coming", being aimed at families and first homes. The number of developments and openings this year will be quite a list.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

And yay from me - thinking this morning , how many people thought 10 years ago , there would be a thriving cafe in Mayow park ?
I trudged through there for years yearning for somewhere to have an espresso with my morning fag and apart from a brief interlude I think in the 00's nothing until now .

I think we need a bit of " build it and they will come " and , if I may make so build to quote that , Australian-Italian sociologist Joe Dolce , " things are not-a-so bad , Issa nice-a place , ah shaddappa your face " .

A very good evening in Sydenham
Nigel
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I like Nados. So that would be good.

I imagine any cinema would be smallish. Maybe more comfortable. There are some good independents out there who do survive by offering something different to the multiplexes. Wait till after the multiplexes to show new films. Show older films. Show foreign films. Sell booze. Higher prices (sorry) so those who go tend to respect the place and the other patrons

Or maybe model it on the successful Alamo Drafthouse (https://drafthouse.com) who have ledges in front for food and an ordering and delivery system to bring you food as you watch, run fun events and make it a unique and enjoyable experience
Larky

Post by Larky »

Small locate cinema would be lovely.

And my children would love the Nandos, not my thing but as a random visit, its fine
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

Personally I'd be okay with any of those chains mentioned, but wouldn't go out of my way to eat in one. We'd definitely use a local cinema though if they did family friendly stuff, or for a date night!
alywin

Post by alywin »

Somehow I'm not sure I can conceive of a Sydenham with chain restaurants. Hmm.

A cinema would be nice, but yes, it would be stuck between quite a bit of competition (what happened to the plans for a cinema in Crystal Palace?)
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Anyone know where the rumours came from? While a cinema would be great, I'd be amazed if that rumour were true. It's only Picturehouse that I can think of that would be interested, and they're quite open about their new locations and ideas.

As for the restaurant, surely if there's been a change of use permission requested, can it not easily be found out who applied?
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Refer previous posts.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

We look forward to the arrival of all our new neighbours Nandos Greyhound Acorn KF&H Cinema. Parking is going to be loads of fun definitely going to be interesting up this end change at last.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

monkeyarms wrote:Anyone know where the rumours came from?
Yes, I state this clearly in the original post, along with the link to the planning application!
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Yes, I did notice that you had a link to a planning application for restaurant use. But that doesn't tell me:

1. why anyone is bandying around the name Nandos
2. where the cinema rumour comes from

I looked for names in the planning application and the only one I could see was to a company called 'Roseview London Ltd' - a mysterious company with almost zero info that Google can find, other than that it was previously known as 'Junesun'.

EDIT: sorry, I hadn't seen Prince's comment: "The architect who is acting as the applicants agent is Alan Camp Architects who represented Nandos on their Lewisham premises."