RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Northernlad

Re: sticky:RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Northernlad »

poppy wrote:Anyone have a contact for people in charge of Nandos development?

I was going to ask them if they can sponsor some trees as part of the Sydenham Road Tree Scheme...
Hi Poppy - you can contact the restaurant team at sydenham@nandos.co.uk
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

That would be a great way for them to promote their launch.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Many thanks Northernlad! :)
mosy

Post by mosy »

A heads up alert re TV prog tomorrow Thur 5 Jul, Ch.5 at 9pm: Documentary on the story of Nando's.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I suspect there will be thread around mid August along the lines of “ why can’t Lewiaham stop Nando’s customers parking on the pavement/ roundabout / up my road/ zig zags etc .
Quite neutral about Nando’s - personally wouldn’t go in but appreciate lots of us very happy with it , but seriously I do wonder if there is going to be Parking-mageddon when this “ destination “ eatery opens its doors to the public
A very good afternoon
Nigel
parker

Post by parker »

Nigel wrote:I suspect there will be thread around mid August along the lines of “ why can’t Lewiaham stop Nando’s customers parking on the pavement/ roundabout / up my road/ zig zags etc .
Quite neutral about Nando’s - personally wouldn’t go in but appreciate lots of us very happy with it , but seriously I do wonder if there is going to be Parking-mageddon when this “ destination “ eatery opens its doors to the public
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Possibly, and Lewisham should do something about it. The alternative was a boarded up shop, which is worse than people moaning about parking issues. How do they cope in Lordship Lane, I’m sure there’s a possible resolution.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not moanin’ just a straightforward observation . I think East Dulwich draws a lot of its custom from locals who walk in .
Remembering how bad things got for some peole when Zanzibar was open , it’s not an unreasonable line of enquiry.
If it were Croydon where they enforce very harshly I’d be less worried but in sydenham where you seem to be able to park on any pavement or other level piece of hard standing it’s not unreasonable to wonder how horrible it might become . That’s all .
A very good evening
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

I haven't noticed a marked outburst of complaining since The Greyhound got into full swing. I suspect because as parking is already at total saturation point, people will suss that out and park further afield.

That said, since Nando's is currently boarded all round whilst in preparation, I'm sure Nando's and the council could agree and mount a big signboard or two saying:
"When we open, here's the nearest free car park... (Girton Road) [insert simple map]"
adding not to park randomly or whatever.

As Nigel says, there's no point in making idle threats about fines or bad parking not being tolerated if we know full well it will be :(

So, quite agree, it's eminently suitable to look ahead and see what fronts could help. E.g. a designated drop off/collect bay? It's quite normal for a car to offload outside whilst the driver finds somewhere to park, so the council ought to be able to at least cope with that, especially if the other new resto (pizza place?) next door might spring to life soon. Perhaps a marked inset bay. I recall that some residents of Peak Hill complain about gym-goers, so the gym ought to be in the cooperation loop also methinks.

Just agreeing a timely juncture to look ahead.
appletree

Post by appletree »

When the Nando's in N16 opened there was no parking issue.
parker

Post by parker »

appletree wrote:When the Nando's in N16 opened there was no parking issue.
I don’t think anywhere has moaned about their Nando’s opening as much as Sydenham has. Funny nobody has a problem with Mamma Dough opening right next door.

Double standards.
poppy

Post by poppy »

I think Nandos will be great. It will be somewhere for young people to go particularly without having to go to Bromley or beyond to meet their friends.

It's fantastic that brands like this are investing in our area! :)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

poppy wrote: It will be somewhere for young people to go ...to meet their friends.
Oh, it's that sort of place, is it? Thanks for the warning.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I get the feeling people would find reason to moan about any opening but cause its not the holy frail of a waitrose or M&S food.... Move on ffs. Be happy it's not just another empty shop!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Been to Nandos with family! Not bad! Lots of decent healthy options alongside a decent wine list alongside healthy chicken options as well as OTT ones. It was ok and I was pleasantly surprised! It will be an asset to developing Sydenham in my view!
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Council have now signed off the shopfront designs for Nandos
prince

Post by prince »

I’ve been told that nandos is due to open on Wednesday 22nd August, so watch this space as they say!
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Nando's chicken livers, medium spice, accompanied by a salad and a beer is an excellent combination. Good source of iron and vitamins and a healthy option (apart from the beer of course).
Pally

Post by Pally »

There are quite a lot of healthy options on the Nando's menu these days, including for kids! :)
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

Hoardings coming down - going to look very nice indeed
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

It's a shame the chicken isn't free range.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/10/03/why-does ... n-6974123/