RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
prince

Re: sticky: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by prince »

Sounds like some are proposing a nanny state to me.
parker

Post by parker »

I can't believe we're having this conversation.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Totally agree that this correctly stated "mid range offering" is a good thing as it will draw custom away from the more offensive end of the existing fast food offerings.

Improvements that come in graduated steps should be expected, it takes time to win market confidence. We need to start the flow to create a trickle and then a stream.

Minds will perhaps be refocused on current offerings if the Fod Hygiene Scores are finally placed on the Doors. Brand names will be forced to ensure good scores which is in turn great for customers. Poor performers will lose custom and again improvements will come through.

I'm getting really hungry and thirsty though reading this post and the Greyhound post!

Both will at least open with clean glasses and a clean kitchen
prince

Post by prince »

I have just had an extremely useful conversation with the Acquisition Manager at Nandos. They inform me that they have provided yet further information as requested by Lewisham Planners.

I won't go into all the matters discussed however they are keen to progress with this venture.

For information they are planning to invest over £1m in Sydenham and to employ over 40 local people.

I think that is good news for Sydenham and something that we should not be turning away.

Separately can someone let me know how you post images for I have some documents I wish to post.
stuart

Post by stuart »

prince wrote:Separately can someone let me know how you post images for I have some documents I wish to post.
You need to upload them somewhere on the net. Then in your post put the URL between the Img tags (located just above the posting window). The URL is the address of the image eg http://my.pics.com/get_a_load_of_this.jpg

Click Preview to check it shows up OK. Rinse & Repeat.

HTH
Stuart
prince

Post by prince »

rod taylor wrote:
prince wrote:
For information they are planning to invest over £1m in Sydenham and to employ over 40 local people. .
What guff. They're investing £1 mill in Nando's. It's hardly altruism Prince.
No one ever said they were being altruistic Rod.

They are a business and they are there to make money, like any other business on the high street. Not many businesses are "not for private profit".

I note that you think their investment is guff. You are obviously unaware of how much high street businesses will invest in fitting out a premises of this size. You may wish to scoff at £1m of investment and 40 new jobs, but I can assure you I don't. I don't see many other businesses looking to make this sort of investment and creating this amount of jobs in our town centre at the moment.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Our worry would be more if Nandos do not come, is this to be our view for the foreseeable future.....The Citizens advice bureau & wedding dress shop were never that exciting but compared to what's there right now two huge blacked out units. A Nandos restaurant would bring much needed life to this part of town.
prince

Post by prince »

sugahill cafe wrote:Our worry would be more if Nandos do not come, is this to be our view for the foreseeable future.....The Citizens advice bureau & wedding dress shop were never that exciting but compared to what's there right now two huge blacked out units. A Nandos restaurant would bring much needed life to this part of town.
Thanks Sugarhill.

It's really valuable and interesting that you as a local business very much welcome Nandos investment. You obviously realise how important that this would be in providing confidence in the town centre and bringing these vacant units back into use.

The impact of vacancies on businesses can not be underestimated. Ive had conversations recently with Whites pet shop whose trade has markedly reduced since coop/budgens closed.

Some people seem to want to turn their back on this investment, I and many others here, dont!
stuart

Post by stuart »

rod taylor wrote:I'm not sure why people take any dissent from the Nando's consensus as some kind of personal affront.
But what is the consensus? There are those that think its the greatest thing since french fries, there are those who think its the last place they would want to eat but wouldn't want to deprive the first group of their pleasure.

Then there appears to be you and a few others who say - 'cos I don't like it - I'm going to try and stop my fellow Sydenhamites enjoying it. That, to me, is what I see happening. Tell me I'm wrong please.

Stuart
syd

Post by syd »

prince wrote:I have just had an extremely useful conversation with the Acquisition Manager at Nandos. They inform me that they have provided yet further information as requested by Lewisham Planners.

I won't go into all the matters discussed however they are keen to progress with this venture.

For information they are planning to invest over £1m in Sydenham and to employ over 40 local people.

I think that is good news for Sydenham and something that we should not be turning away.

Separately can someone let me know how you post images for I have some documents I wish to post.
I really appreciate your work in this. The council are sniffy about a £1m investment while the main supermarket remains closed. This is outrageous. You'd think they had better things to do especially within unfinished development on Sydenham road. https://www.familymosaicsales.co.uk/abo ... -lewisham/
appletree

Post by appletree »

I really despair at these posts from Rod Taylor. Why do you not oppose other restaurants or indeed any consumption of food? There is nothing particularly fattening about Nando's food.

So bizarre. Why are you not protesting about all the FRIED chicken places?
Pally

Post by Pally »

appletree wrote:It's just a restaurant. It doesn't sell fried chicken. Why is obesity suddenly an issue when no one is exactly picketing outside all the fast food restaurants (pizza, fried chicken) we have? The food at Nando's is not particularly fattening: grilled chicken.

Where I lived previously there was opposition to Nando's ostensibly because it was a chain, but actually because if racism. It was perceived as a restaurant black people liked. I wonder if something similar is going on here?

That one opened and there were no problems with it at all. We went there from time to time.

I get the sense there are people out there eager for this area to decline. I don't care especially about Nando's but am frustrated by all the empty shops and the seemingly endless waits for planning permission. Meanwhile Sydenham is a dump.
I generally agree with you appletree!! Frustrating!
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

appletree wrote:It's just a restaurant. It doesn't sell fried chicken. Why is obesity suddenly an issue when no one is exactly picketing outside all the fast food restaurants (pizza, fried chicken) we have? The food at Nando's is not particularly fattening: grilled chicken.

Where I lived previously there was opposition to Nando's ostensibly because it was a chain, but actually because if racism. It was perceived as a restaurant black people liked. I wonder if something similar is going on here?

That one opened and there were no problems with it at all. We went there from time to time.

I get the sense there are people out there eager for this area to decline. I don't care especially about Nando's but am frustrated by all the empty shops and the seemingly endless waits for planning permission. Meanwhile Sydenham is a dump.
well done appletree for saying what needed to be said.

let's stop @$@%ing around with rubbish objections about deliveries, obesity levels etc etc...

'someone who knows someone' are doing all they can stop this happening because of the perceived class of clientele who in their eyes would use this type of establishment. this has nothing to do with the best interests of the area, but all to do with the personal views of some influential individuals on what opens up on their doorstep.

like has been said before, if this were a pizza express or a gourmet burger then this thread would make very different reading.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Im wondering why Rod isn't objecting to the Pubs, Cake Shop, off Licenses, sweet shops as they are all huge contributors to the calorie intake of the population.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Thank you.
syd

Post by syd »

Ghlpc wrote:

well done appletree for saying what needed to be said.

let's stop @$@%ing around with rubbish objections about deliveries, obesity levels etc etc...

'someone who knows someone' are doing all they can stop this happening because of the perceived class of clientele who in their eyes would use this type of establishment. this has nothing to do with the best interests of the area, but all to do with the personal views of some influential individuals on what opens up on their doorstep.

like has been said before, if this were a pizza express or a gourmet burger then this thread would make very different reading.
Yep it's time to shine a light on the shady behaviour of Lewisham council. Theve been in power for so long the corruption must seem normal to them
D-W

Post by D-W »

I like reading these threads and seeing all of these different opinions on how we should be developing the area. For example I never thought that someone would say they prefer empty shops to ones that are full! But it illustrates how strongly people feel on this issue. For me I am for it. But only on balance. I feel the extra footfall in the area will help make other independent places more profitable and a building won’t look like its rotting improving the look of the area. Increased footfall may be important for the new greyhound owners as they try to make their new venture a success especially in a market where pub patronage is in decline. Although I would never go to a cafe Nero I expect that other independent business owners will be looking at Sydenham through a similar lens and coming to a similar conclusion which is concerning to me.

Will I go to Nandos? Unlikely. For a lot of the reasons outlined by Rod and others but I think it will be good for Sydenham.

But this is rather beside the point. I wouldn’t use my opinion to try and force planning permission through and I wouldn’t expect others to block the planning permission on a basis other than what was included in the application.

I am not saying that this is happening but what I am saying is that it is not clear that it is not happening due to an apparent lack of transparency. What I hope is that the planners approach these problems and concerns with a balanced perspective weighing those concerns against the very real benefits that new investment can bring to an area.
syd

Post by syd »

rod taylor wrote:Thanks D-W - a sensible and balanced view.

I want to point out to local gastronomes that I haven't formally opposed your chicken shop - I have just given my opinion (ad nauseam) here.
What I find quite shocking is seeing alcoholics buying booze at 7am from the various 24hr shops but that's just me!
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

As someone who lives opposite the site, having three empty units in view has become tedious. Now with the Greyhound finally being re-opened shortly, I hope for momentum to reopen units. Must be said, Kfh has been far too quiet to the residents above. I support Nandos coming here; we need major brands on Sydenham High St, all the best high streets have a great mix of chain and independent outlets. As for the sheer number of food options in Sydenham, that's no different from Beckenham, Battersea/Clapham Junction or Surbiton, apart from the "class" of establishment for many. I'd rather a mid-range restaurant opening, encouraging more investment in Sydenham than having another cheap food place (yes, I like the occasional Morley's). People don't eat at Nandos daily, not even weekly and objecting Sainsbury's Local on the basis of making people fat is ridiculous.

I walk out of my home, down the high street and I now count around 9 empty units between Cobbs Corner and Hexagon. The development across the road from Hexagon has gone quiet. At the same time, we've got a totally brand new building under construction with its retail space going for 75k p/a (great size for a Little Waitrose, a large Costa, etc), while we can't even get a medium supermarket size unit filled. I've long said this council is letting us down. The investment is all to see in Bromley's Penge, yet we can't even get decent lamp post flags which don't fall off in a light breeze. Saying that, they decided to install new ones on Kirkdale instead of replacing those on the high street. You'd think having some of the best transport connections in South London would attract investment, yet while Sydenham's house prices are still steadily rising, attracting the young professionals and families, commercial investment for the community seems very poor. Whilst they're not perfect, nor am I a Tory, I very much doubt this would've happened under Bromley's control. Fortunately, Lewisham is getting a new mayor as Sir Steve leaves. However, unless there is a massive change in Town Hall I fear this decline and pulling hair out for everything will just continue.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree Lifelike.