Say 'No' to further retail at Bell Green

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: Say 'No' to further retail at Bell Green

Post by stuart »

The Clown wrote:I think people probably got behind the “save the gas holders” campaign to simply stop more of the same awful residential blocks going up without care.
Who convinced them of that? The gas holders are nothing to do with affordable residential develpment. Keeping the gas holders blocks that and any other development or any other use of that land. We are awfully good at stopping things happening!

It certainly appears to outstrip making good things, or even half-good things happen in Sydenham or even think about how we tackle the congestion/pollution problem and green our environment. Perhaps if SydSoc rebranded themselves as the Sydenham Improvement Society it would help them focus more on moving towards a sustainable future rather than conserving worse than useless monuments to unsustainability and the past.

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

broken_shaman wrote:or that proposed at New Cross. Sainsbury's are sitting on a huge piece of under-developed land and it's interesting to note that while this site has continued with the warehouse shopping estate plan, other areas of London are seeing these sites redeveloped in favour of mixed use developments. That's housing with an empty shop at the bottom to you and I. ;) Quite frankly, there is a huge bit of land here, covering the Sainsbury's site, the B and Q site and that massive waste of land that is the one way system around the patch of empty land in the middle at Bell Green.
What’s proposed for Sainsbury’s New Cross? The land in that area can’t be that ripe for development, to deconstruct the Sainsbury’s (if that’s what you’re saying?) when the land on the other side of the station looks like a landfill site.
Pally

Post by Pally »

The Clown wrote:I think people probably got behind the “save the gas holders” campaign to simply stop more of the same awful residential blocks going up without care.

Unfortunately, options are limited to ensure that developers build nice housing, or something with some class or character and do not build a bunch of tiny cramped boxes to tick an “x no of homes delivered” box of their own.

You can’t bemoan people for using the only power available to them to protect their community from money-grabbers
Hmmm .....trouble is it has to be backed up by realistic plans and much of what Stuart has suggested makes sense ...!! Maybe the Sydenham Society does have a clear idea of what is being aimed for beyond the save the gas holders but at the moment it appears to centre around housing being built within like at KX or similar.....but maybe I have got that wrong! Who knows. I am happy to be told I am wrong and to be told what the long term aim is apart from save gas holders and stop Aldi ....cant find detail anywhere but I expect I have missed it as rushing!!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Right on Pally.

IMHO the SydSoc's greatest positive achievement in recent years is bringing back the Greyhound from the dead. Few (and I think this included themselves) thought they could win. Perhaps that's why they reached out beyond their core membership and built a winning campaign that made Lewisham extremely pro-active and put the Purelake Directors in an invidious position if they wanted to do future business anywhere.

It would be good for the Society to again lead on what will be popular outside their demographic and create a good cohesive and detailed story about Sydenham's future to which we should all be able to subscribe at least in part.

Bell Green is a toxic mess. There needs to be a plan and a vision beyond gas holders.

Stuart
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

At the time of the listing I asked Syd Soc on this forum whether the listing would or should prevent housing being built, but we don’t have a clear answer.

The idea of putting housing inside the holders is pie in the sky - that’s such an expensive process and there’s been no study as to whether there’s any appetite for it here.

Every time you ask why the gas holders are being “saved”, and who for, and what the bigger plan is, you get a different answer.
alywin

Post by alywin »