Welcome Sign in Ladywell

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Whitey

Welcome Sign in Ladywell

Post by Whitey »

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else seen the welcome sign in Ladywell?

It looks really cool (in my opinion) and is something I think we could definitely adopt for outside Sydenham Station (which is a plain brick wall with some graffiti at the moment.

Saw a retweet from Lewisham council that said they paid for the artist- anyone know how we go about getting this funded for us too?

https://ibb.co/bV3Kkk
leenewham

Re: Welcome Sign in Ladywell

Post by leenewham »

Yes, It looks good. There are a few people who have one similar signage, like the one in Hither Green and Herne Hill.

The Ladywell sign was funded by the Ladywell Assembly. It was created by the Bread Collective who I'm huge fans of and tried to get involved in Sydenham before.

There was a budget for signage in Sydenham but I've no idea what happened to it.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Out of interest, how much do you think something like this would cost?

We could do a fundraising page or something. I think it really adds something to the area, making it feel more current and vibrant. It's a nice welcome as you come out the station.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There are plans to do something in Forest Hill too, although still very tentative at this stage. I love these signs. I especially like that the Ladywell one hasn't gone for the more Victorian style of some of the others that have sprung up. Not that they aren't lovely, but it's good to make each area distinctive.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I did ask Network Rail whether they could do one on the wall which is covered with graffiti opposite the platform at Sydenham station but never got a reply. Would be nice to see, if not there, somewhere in Sydenham.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding cost, It depends on size and preparation, who does it etc. We have designed some Ghost signs and had them painted on walls in various sizes but never to the size of the Ladywell one. We are working on some at the moment in North West London under a bridge that will be quite large, but these will be enamel panels as well as some 1930s style ones in Metroland as well as some signage for a playground which is painted on the floor like a game.

My guess is £1-3k depending on size and the other factors above.

They are difficult to get installed though. We have designed lots but only a handful have gone ahead due to prohibitive Landlords, planning, local community not getting behind it, Network Rail, London Transport etc. Herne Hill and Hither Green had a lot of local support to make it happen. That makes a HUGE difference. If it's one or two people, it probably won't go ahead without wider support.