More New Gas Mains

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

More New Gas Mains

Post by fishcox »

Did I read a thread somewhere about Lawrie Park Road being the next area to be dug up, for gas main replacement ? If so, is there any further information about it anywhere ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes there is a reference to April in the Lawrie Park Road accident thread.

However the road works document posted at lewisham.gov.uk covers only March. As we know planning ahead is not their greatest strength.

Given that they only resurfaced the worst bit of the road last year - I guess it must be due to be dug up RSN.

There is a digest of road works info off the http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news.html page which I have <slap>not updated</slap>. But it refers to only minor stuff in kirkdale. I guess that obstruction at the top of Sydenham Road must just be my imagination!
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Further to my posting in the Lawrie Park Road Accident thread, yes, Transco are heading our way once more. Their 'Dear Occupier' letter dated 24/02/2005 narrowly escaped our green recycle bin due to its junk mail-like appearance.

"... work will be starting shortly in Lawrie Park Road, London.
The project is being undertaken by Transco's contractor, Morrison Construction Limited and is scheduled to start between 04/04/2005 and 13/04/2005. Work should be completed within 14 weeks."

Wonderfuel news.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh dear - where are the buses going?

Remember last year they diverted down Lawrie Park Avenue? (which collapsed just like the previous time they sent buses down there). This led LPA to be closed as the same time as LPR.

Will someone remember to get it right this time?
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

I also received a leaflet with pretty pictures of traffic cones explaining how disruptive it's going to be. (very)
Oh and theres an Advance Warning sign loosely attached to a lighting pole at the Bromley end of LPR.
Might contact TfL about the buses but they probably know only as much as we do. :wink:
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Well it's started - theres a bloke marking out underground services on the tarmac as I type this. 14 weeks of cone dodging. Woo hooo!
stuart

Post by stuart »

The works are underway between Colvin Close & Border Road. You know the bit that has just been resurfaced.

Talked to an Arriva guy trying to arrange for some abandoned cars on the opposite side to be removed. He said that for most of the work they should be able to maintain the bus route with traffic signals. But near the end they are scheduled to cut across Lawrie Park Road at the westwood Hill end and the road may have to be closed. (Thats the other bit Lewisham just resurfaced).

He didn't know where the buses would go if this happened. I reminded him that Lawrie Park Avenue collapses everytime they forget and re-route down there. "yep", he said, "know that but we have to run them where TfL tell us to send them..."
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Just to add to the fun - Wells Park Road is currently closed between Taylors Lane and Longton Avenue