Armed robbery at Costcutters, Kirkdale - footage released

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd-gal

Armed robbery at Costcutters, Kirkdale - footage released

Post by syd-gal »

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-04- ... hen-knife/

12 April 2017 at 10:21am
Armed robber threatens shopkeeper with large kitchen knife
Footage of an armed robber threatening a shopkeeper with a large kitchen knife has been released by police hunting the suspect.
Credit: Met Police
A member of staff was held at knifepoint at a Costcutter in Kirkdale, south-east London, while the robber demanded they hand over cash.

CCTV footage shows the robber stuffing notes into a bag at two tills before fleeing.

The Metropolitan Police have appealed for information about the robbery on March 18.

Whilst a staff member was working in the store in the early hours, the suspect entered the store and approached them with a large kitchen knife.

The suspect pointed the blade at the 33-year-old victim and demanded money from the tills. The victim opened the tills before the suspect took £600 out of the tills.

– MET POLICE
Anyone with information can contact local police by dialling 101. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or tweet @MetCC with any information.
Last updated Wed 12 Apr 2017
Sydenham

Re: Armed robbery at Costcutters, Kirkdale - footage release

Post by Sydenham »

Is this 'armed' with a knife or was there a gun involved? I looked at the image and only saw a knife.

The headline says 'armed' - I always thought this meant a gun - or have things moved on for this to include all weapons i.e. "armed" with a threatening note.

Frightening and not good all the same - - but choice of language suggesting a gun when one didn't exist is ratcheting up fear and spreading a false message of a frightening incident.

P.S. This is not about the facetious point that all robbers are likely to be armed - usually with two: a left arm and a right arm.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Sydenham wrote:Is this 'armed' with a knife or was there a gun involved? I looked at the image and only saw a knife.

The headline says 'armed' - I always thought this meant a gun - or have things moved on for this to include all weapons i.e. "armed" with a threatening note.

Frightening and not good all the same - - but choice of language suggesting a gun when one didn't exist is ratcheting up fear and spreading a false message of a frightening incident.

P.S. This is not about the facetious point that all robbers are likely to be armed - usually with two: a left arm and a right arm.
Can you please explain the point of this post?

The OP was making people aware of the robbery; why do we need someone to question the use of a particular word?

Did you have nothing better to do today?
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

An arm is a weapon. Armed means carrying a weapon.