Bridge House Tavern

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

Post by Annie »

:lol:
Nice atmosphere, but i didnt like the greyness of everything i found it a bit depressing really.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

stay off the gin, then!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Does the place do real ales or is it all chrome tpped lagers?
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

I think it just has the chrome topped Lagers. I was driving so I only drank J2Os and didn't look at the beers. Their Wine menu seemed a little expensive though.

I quite like what they have done, but it is no longer a local pub, it is now a restaurant, and while the Penge/Anerley area may be short of decent restaurants, it is more seriously short of decent local pubs. RIP The Goat House, The Robin Hood, The Freemasons Arms.

The food was good and well presented, the service was quick and friendly, and it was a quite busy time too.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the garden in the Summer. My daughter, who is almost old enough to be served herself now, can remember playing in the old tree house that they used to have there.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

went there for dinner last night.

food was good.

the bar staff were shithouse, though - no friendly smile, no chat, nothing.

if i was the owner i would have been furious.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I went there on Friday - quite impressed and the food was lovely
But we also noticed quite surly barstaff - although not all. Some were really friendly
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Went to BHT for Sunday lunch (Pork and Lamb) with the inlaws yesterday. Food was a long time coming after we ordered. Although they did give us complimentary drinks to compensate (fair enough). Food was slightly cold but delicious, better than the sad offerings we got at the Dolphin on one occasion. Other half is a commited vanilla ice cream fan but was very happy with the ginger and pistachio ice cream. Would definitely go again. :D
dickp

Post by dickp »

Hmm, there is now decking going up at the front, facing onto Penge High Street.

Would sir care for traffic fumes with his drink?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

There will be a huge garden at the back so there should be little need to go out front. Unless you want to smoke away from prying little eyes playing in the back. And if you're smoking you can hardly worry about car fumes.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Can anyone tell me what the veggie food is like?

Liz
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Is this still a pub or can we just say another local has bitten the dust and this is now a restaurant? No one actually says anything about the beer - it's all about how difficult it is to get a table and what the food is like.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

There were loads of people just having a drink
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

nork1 wrote:Is this still a pub or can we just say another local has bitten the dust and this is now a restaurant? No one actually says anything about the beer - it's all about how difficult it is to get a table and what the food is like.
wasn't in there long enough to sample the beers, as the bar staff pissed me off so much we just ate and left.

pretty disappointing.
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

After all the reading I went to have a drink there this afternoon. When I walked in my first impression was that they have done a very nice job in redecorating the place, and have retained the ceiling paper ( correct term?) and other features.

As I was walking around to look at everything the owner / landlord approached me to say hello and introduce himself. This was unexpected as I read all the comments regarding staff etc. He was incredibly pleasant as were Simone (sp) and the manager (can't remember his name... sorry) The had just taklen delivery of about 30 - 40 outdoor tables for the garden. They were discussing how to landscape the back and told me how they are planning to make a bar in the back wall to the garden and also create a BBQ / grill menu for outside service.

Additionally, the buggy brigade was in full force and from speaking to the owner/ landlord (his name is Scott - not me BTW :D ) he told me how every tuesday between 1200 and 1600 they host the "Yummy Mummy Club" and give them a 10% discount on menu items. I thought this was great, and would like to say that I will be there this coming tuesday from 1315hrs with my 2 kids and invite anybody that would like to join me. I will be the tall guy with the 2 blonde kids, 1 girl (3) and a boy (18mths) and our Au pair.

I must say I found everyone incredible nice and the environment very friendly. I look forward to the summer and seeing the landscaped back garden.

Also, it may have been mentioned, but the owner is the same gentleman who owned the mansion (sold it last month) and owns the Rye(?) in Peckham.

As for the beer selection, they had 6 chrome taps ( star, guinness, becks, 1 ciders and 2 others I cannot remember) and 2 pulled ales ( youngs and Bombardier). They didn't have any Jack Daniels, but the Makers Mark was great substitute...

I wish them the best of Luck, and anybody who want to meet there on Tuesday, let me know... Just because I am a male and currently at home shouldn't keep me from the Yummuy Mummy club.....
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

scott.l.hamilton wrote: As I was walking around to look at everything the owner / landlord approached me to say hello and introduce himself. This was unexpected as I read all the comments regarding staff etc......
teh staff that were shit were all young people working on an easter weekend. i guess they had the mopes because they "had to work".
scott.l.hamilton wrote:I wish them the best of Luck, and anybody who want to meet there on Tuesday, let me know... Just because I am a male and currently at home shouldn't keep me from the Yummuy Mummy club.....
we know your motives, Don Juan...
user100

Post by user100 »

Don Juan, Don them all
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

We went yesterday for early dinner. We were making a 'to do' list of what needs doing in our shabby house and I asked the manager what colour the paint was on the wall. He then went and got his Farrow and Ball paint chart and sat with us discussing what colours might go with what. I chose two and wrote down all the details. He spent a good ten mins with us discussing decor, he said to pick Farrow and Ball colours but to get Dulux paint as F and B doesn't go on so well. Great service I thought.
mtovee

Bridge House

Post by mtovee »

Went there last night. Very nice indeed.... actually exceeds the standard of The Dolphin. You're missing out if you haven't tried this place.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Not been there yet but impressed that they let in families and serve ale. Will need to check out as only the Wetherspoons in Penge at present.