Car Service/MOT

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GFA

Car Service/MOT

Post by GFA »

Can anyone recommend a local trustworthy, reliable mechanic/garage who can carry out my car service and MOT? I used to taken my car to Alan Hill Motors in Crystal Palace but he was forced to vacate his premises - after 40+ years!

Thanks
originalfunkbrother

Re: Car Service/MOT

Post by originalfunkbrother »

The chaps below are cool:

Dartmouth Station
203-213 Dartmouth Rd, Forest Hill, London SE26 4QY
020 8699 0077
JT123

Post by JT123 »

I've recently (last couple of years) also switched to the Dartmouth Rd MOT centre and have been happy with the service - very friendly bunch.
PeterD

Post by PeterD »

Volkspares Newlands Park if you have a VW - Alan Hill's speciality
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Knighton Motors by the car wash on the High Street. Had our cars serviced there for years. Great service.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Knighton Motors and Dartmouth Station are both good.
WeatherGirl

Post by WeatherGirl »

Knighton motors every time
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What a shame about Alan Hill's . I had a problem with my power steering recently and tried to call Alan Hills . When I got no response ( highly unusual ) I had a horrible feeling he had gone .

I used his garage for 20 years and was always happy with his service - professional , fair priced and trustworthy . He's also a really decent chap and I'm sorry to see him go .

A very good morning
Nigel
GFA

Post by GFA »

Nigel wrote:What a shame about Alan Hill's . I had a problem with my power steering recently and tried to call Alan Hills . When I got no response ( highly unusual ) I had a horrible feeling he had gone .

I used his garage for 20 years and was always happy with his service - professional , fair priced and trustworthy . He's also a really decent chap and I'm sorry to see him go .

A very good morning
Nigel
Thanks to everyone for replying to this post - its very helpful!

Nigel - I wholeheartedly agree. It wasn't his choice to leave but the owners of the land preferred to sell to developers rather than to him - after 40+ years. He wasn't sure whether he would start again but possibly more local to him (in Sutton I think). I'm trying to find his mobile number so that I can find out what he's decided to do!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GFA
Thanks - I'm sure a lot people would be interested to know how he's getting on . I'm sure the neighbours in Alma Place would have preferred Alan's garage to whatever the " developers " shoehorn into that space .
A very good evening
Nigel
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Volkspares have always looked after me brilliantly
GFA

Post by GFA »

Nigel wrote:GFA
Thanks - I'm sure a lot people would be interested to know how he's getting on . I'm sure the neighbours in Alma Place would have preferred Alan's garage to whatever the " developers " shoehorn into that space .
A very good evening
Nigel
I just thought I'd post an update. I have made contact with Alan Hills who is more or less working from home now (I think he lives somewhere in Surrey ...?). However, he is coming to collect my car from my home in a few weeks to take it away for its service and MOT, and will return it to me. I'm not sure if he's working full time as he was before so rather than post his mobile number on the forum, please PM if you'd like it.

Thanks
GFA
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GFA
Thanks very much for the update - glad to know Alan's still in the business . I'm sorted now but I'm sure he'll continue to do a great job - I bet he'll miss that really nice old shed with the well-ordered clipboards hanging from nails !
A very good afternoon
Nigel