Ellie Reeves MP breaks promise

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Ellie Reeves MP breaks promise

Post by mikej »

Sadly, on last night's vote she went along with her leader's hard Brexit, refusing to do what she said she'd do in her election material. Why didn't she support the approach of Chuka Ummuna and 50 odd colleagues?
Clearly she can't be trusted.
Mayowthorpe

Re: Ellie Reeves MP breaks promise

Post by Mayowthorpe »

You seem surprised. I am not exactly falling off my chair.

Labour will say anything to get votes; promise free stuff without even considering how to pay for it.

It's a shame the many young people that voted labour cannot see through this.

For the record, I don't disagree with what Labour stands for. It's the way their politicians behave that is the issue.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Mayowthorpe wrote:You seem surprised. I am not exactly falling off my chair.

Labour will say anything to get votes; promise free stuff without even considering how to pay for it.

It's a shame the many young people that voted labour cannot see through this.

For the record, I don't disagree with what Labour stands for. It's the way their politicians behave that is the issue.
I'm not surprised either. Must say though, many young people don't believe all of it. However, most of us reasonably aren't going to vote Tory either. A 24 year old isn't even entitled to 7.50p/a under these lot.
parker

Post by parker »

A hard Brexit should be the only Brexit. It's about carrying out the will of the people, not that the liberal elite could agree with that when it's not on their own terms. Everybody knows what the silent majority voted for on 23rd June 2016 and there was nothing 'soft' about it.

General elections end up disappointing many and those people have to put up with it, similarly - now it's the remoaners turn to put up and shut up in the way Leave voters put up and shut up for last 40 odd years, only now Brexiteers have to wait and clean up the mess it's caused.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Please explain what 'Liberal elite' means?

I keep see it thrown about but no-one explains it.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Liberal elite. i.e. anyone who doesn't agree with the right.

Metropolitan elite. i.e. anyone in the major cities, left or right who hasn't done too badly since the New Right era.

Remoaner. i.e. anyone who believes Brexit including leaving the single market will seriously damage the economy and doesn't buy this whole "Britain stood on its own and was fine" talk (totally ignoring empire was literally relying on oppressing peoples and taking resources from everywhere).

I must be all three.

The fact is people whom had no responsibility (i.e. not in government) made promises about Brexit. The question was on leaving the EU. Nothing else. Whether I want to stay in the customs union/single market or not, the question was on the EU; the economic area pre-dates the Maastricht Treaty. Everyone knows the wording of referendum questions are decided on very carefully. You can be part of one, but not the other. No one would say Norway is in the EU just because they are in the economic area. Brexiteers should of demanded a better question. Wording is key.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

rod taylor wrote:
Mayowthorpe wrote:Labour will say anything to get votes; promise free stuff without even considering how to pay for it.
Many politicians will, its true.

What I would say is that the Labour manifesto was backed by 129 of the world's leading economists - so, to an extent, it must have something going for it at least.

http://www.ier.org.uk/news/129-economis ... -proposals
Remind me how many "expert" economic institutions (including the IMF) said the UK economy would immediately collapse into recession on a Brexit vote.
parker

Post by parker »

leenewham wrote:Please explain what 'Liberal elite' means?

I keep see it thrown about but no-one explains it.
Liberal elite, in my view - would be your BBC news/Guardian reader, your pro-immigrant do-gooder that acts as though they care about the working class but won't live next door to either and instead, as if by magic happen to live alongside the ruling class in typical white enclaves like Richmond. They'd probably only welcome Donald Trump to the UK if he arrived here illegally on the back of a truck from a country where they throw members of the LGBTQ community from the tops of buildings. Their weaknesses on most given topics include the desperate need to be seen as politically correct over factually right.
Parasites.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I remain sick of the lot of them!!
alywin

Post by alywin »

parker wrote:A hard Brexit should be the only Brexit. It's about carrying out the will of the people, not that the liberal elite could agree with that when it's not on their own terms. Everybody knows what the silent majority voted for on 23rd June 2016 and there was nothing 'soft' about it.
You must be a telepath, then. Nobody knows what sort of Brexit Brexiteers were in favour of, because the question wasn't asked: it was a simple question of leave or remain. Whatever people thought they were voting for beyond that (like the alleged £350bn for the NHS, for example), they weren't. Chances are it's just the people shouting loudest who are being heard - who knows what the silent majority/minority actually voted for. My guess would be something closer to a 50/50 split between hard and soft, which would be borne out by Theresa May asking for but not getting her mandate.
BruceHarrison

Post by BruceHarrison »

"129 leading economists support....."!
18 (15%) are from SOAS!
How many leading economists are there in the world?
What do they think?
Maybe "only 1% of leading economists support ...." would have been a better headline.
alywin

Post by alywin »

This article in the Evening Standard may give some background/hints as to why:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 76916.html

I can't imagine it would be easy for a newly-elected MP to go against the party whip. Perhaps Dowd might have fared better in this case.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why are we surprised. An MP breaking their promise.

Who is going to support Beer Exhibitions now we have a new MP.
perryman

Post by perryman »

What is aggravating is that after banging on about the single market her whole campaign she doesn't feel we are owed an explanation why she would not actually vote for it.

There could be genuine reasons - after all the 2 main parties had manifestos to leave the EU, and perhaps it was thought a bit too soon to try to overturn that without any further evidence that it was a bad idea in some way.

Perhaps the vote was really a disguised leadership challenge to Corbyn, which also is a bit soon given his current popularity.

But until we hear otherwise, it seems like she thinks her vote was not even noticed by the locals or will be quickly forgotten by most. She is probably right, but another snap election this year will have a few wondering what she stands for at all.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is equally galling is her colleague , Shadow Education Sec , has let cat out of the bag. She says Labour never said they would abolish Uni fees , only an ambition sometime in the future . It is my ambition Palace win the Premier League but not holding my breath.
I wonder if Mr Clegg can advise Labour on the reaction of students to broken promises.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod

In that case I apologise although many would have thought both were indeed pledges.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Mayowthorpe wrote:
rod taylor wrote:
Mayowthorpe wrote:Labour will say anything to get votes; promise free stuff without even considering how to pay for it.
Many politicians will, its true.

What I would say is that the Labour manifesto was backed by 129 of the world's leading economists - so, to an extent, it must have something going for it at least.

http://www.ier.org.uk/news/129-economis ... -proposals
Remind me how many "expert" economic institutions (including the IMF) said the UK economy would immediately collapse into recession on a Brexit vote.
None.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Rod

In that case I apologise although many would have thought both were indeed pledges.
How many Conservative Manifesto pledges were in the Queens Speech - allowing that there will be no 2018 Queens Speech?
Give a figure for us. Have a guess.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thank fully very few as it was a disaster.

As a pensioner I do think the triple lock should have become double lock. The care charges should one have been better explained and two not in manifesto.

By the way I voted Lib Dem
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Thank fully very few as it was a disaster.

As a pensioner I do think the triple lock should have become double lock. The care charges should one have been better explained and two not in manifesto.

By the way I voted Lib Dem
None at all. Not one.
The care aspect the Tories put forward was laughable as was Conservative Journalists fawning over how wonderful it was on the Friday then doing a May and saying it was a disaster policy by Monday afternoon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
28 U turns by May in a year, now that takes some doing.