Beggars on the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd-gal

Beggars on the high street

Post by syd-gal »

Is there a new syndicate of beggars in Sydenham? Went up the high street today and there were female beggars (Romanian?) on both sides of the road.
Parker1970

Re: Beggars on the high street

Post by Parker1970 »

Aye, I noticed one outside costcutters on Saturday.
rustya

Post by rustya »

I am getting sick them on the overground.
Far too many in my opinion, and TFL are absolutely ignoring it.
Busking and begging is illegal on public transport. Both are plentiful on the overground.
Action to stop this should be taken and pronto!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

There was always one outside the old Co-op supermarket but she wasn't begging as she was selling the Big Issue. Maybe it's her? I don't mind it if they are selling the Big Issue but if they are just begging then that's not good.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

rustya wrote:I am getting sick them on the overground.
Busking and begging is illegal on public transport. Both are plentiful on the overground.
Call British Transport Police every time you see one on a train. Take their photo to help identify them. This is the action to take. Note that BTP enforce the law. Not TfL
Granine

Post by Granine »

Have you ever stopped to consider why these people might be begging in the first place? It's not a lifestyle choice on their behalf, I'm pretty sure they would rather not have to do it. So rather than spend energy berating them, show a little compassion eh?
angela53

Post by angela53 »

These women are all managed by East European gang masters. This is a normal way of life for them
They are happy with this as they know no alternative
Granine

Post by Granine »

They are happy with this way of life? Really?? Yes, they are a problem, but stop for a minute and think about the root cause. They have been subjected to a pretty shit life so far, so let's not try and make their lives any more shit by treating them like some kind of vermin. They are (primarily) vulnerable women who have been exploited and most likely subject to all sorts of horrors. Just because they are used to this way of life doesn't mean they're happy with it.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

rod taylor wrote:
Granine wrote:They are happy with this way of life? Really?? Yes, they are a problem, but stop for a minute and think about the root cause.
You may be presupposing as much as everyone else Granine.

There is quite a chance these beggars are Roma and in that case begging is very much part of a cultural tradition rather than a response to destitution.

There is of course a chance they are not Roma.
The little shit wearing designer clothes hassling people for cash outside Sainsbury's on the corner of Sydenham Road and Spring Hill all day last Sunday certainly wasn't Roma!
Pally

Post by Pally »

angela53 wrote:These women are all managed by East European gang masters. This is a normal way of life for them
They are happy with this as they know no alternative
I sort of understand your point but I'm not sure "happy with" is the right description...used to maybe but happy?
alywin

Post by alywin »

There was a young woman begging on the Overground train I was on the other night: nicely spoken, British. She seemed very grateful even for any food, so I guess she was genuine.
prince

Post by prince »

It may seem harsh but I make a policy of not giving money to people begging on the street. However I do donate to big issue sellers and to organisations that help people in need, like the Salvation Army, Shelter etc.
rustya

Post by rustya »

robbieduncan wrote:
rustya wrote:I am getting sick them on the overground.
Call British Transport Police every time you see one on a train. Take their photo to help identify them. This is the action to take. Note that BTP enforce the law. Not TfL
I think you'll find that they have no ticket, then they are flouting the conditions of carriage, and hence TFL should investigate, and prosecute.
If they have a ticket yet still beg, then yes this would be a BTP issue.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I distinguish between the odd one or two which sit quietly disturbing no-one, who I assume have as much right as anyone else to sit or stand on the high street, and those who actively confront everyone or obstruct passage, including Talk Talk sales touts although to be fair they're a lot less aggressive than they used to be.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

I find it odd that people get the hump about people asking for money yet no thread about the folks on Sydenham Road near the Newlands Park bus stop always trying to stop people in order to sell them bloody broadband! I ain't into that!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Worst beggars are Big Issue purveyors.
stuart

Post by stuart »

MagmaTimes wrote:I find it odd that people get the hump about people asking for money yet no thread about the folks on Sydenham Road near the Newlands Park bus stop always trying to stop people in order to sell them bloody broadband! I ain't into that!
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13461

HTH,
Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:Worst beggars are Big Issue purveyors.
They are selling, not begging. Earning money and trying to build a business and, hopefully, acquiring some skills so they don't have to beg. If you don't like the product, don't buy. Just the same with any other retailer.

I'd have thought you might have been a bit nostalgic about the street newspaper sellers when the London Evening News wasn't free ... where are they now when they became redundant? Begging?

Stuart
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

stuart wrote:
Eagle wrote:Worst beggars are Big Issue purveyors.
They are selling, not begging.

Stuart
Either way, they're after my money and harassing me about it! Also, I don't think TalkTalk are trying to build a business...
stuart

Post by stuart »

MagmaTimes wrote:Either way, they're after my money and harassing me about it! Also, I don't think TalkTalk are trying to build a business...
I'm confused. The Big Issue lady outside Safeways/Morrissons/Summerfield/Co--op/Budgens never harassed me. Nor do the other street vendors selling stuff (like the flower stall). If she had, we wouldn't have bought.

Whereas the Broadband people do by deliberately standing in your way and trying to open a conversation you clearly do not wish for a scammy incompetent bunch of filthy rich tax avoiders. But, hey, they are building monopol^^^^businesses too ...

I think there is a difference.

Stuart