Man killed by car in Mayow Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
LocalResident

Man killed by car in Mayow Road

Post by LocalResident »

A 44-year-old man has died after he was hit by a car in south-east London.

Scotland Yard said he was struck by a silver Vauxhall Corsa in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Police were called to the crash in Mayow Road, Sydenham, at about 12.45am.

The pedestrian was taken to a south London hospital with head injuries and later died.

His next of kin have been informed.

The driver of the car stopped at the scene. He was not arrested.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 02082851574.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 42306.html
Mayowthorpe

Re: Man killed by car in Mayow Road

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Thanks. This has already been posted on the forum.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

"Man killed by driver on Mayow Road (again)"

FTFY
Pally

Post by Pally »

vbsydenham wrote:"Man killed by driver on Mayow Road (again)"

FTFY
What is your point VB?
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Stop giving inanimate objects agency. It might help to de-normalise road violence. Language is important.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

I'm happy to go out on a limb and predict that the driver was at fault and further predict that he/she will not be charged and/or prosecuted. If I'm wrong I'll come back on here and apologise.

How about "Man killed after car driven into him"? That at least brings the human involvement into it.
rod taylor wrote:As you mentioned language, I would point out that a car is not only an inanimate object, but one with a tendency to both animation and inanimation.
Point taken :lol:
Pally

Post by Pally »

See the point about language. I am very aware that this persons relatives may well read this forum though, so won't debate it.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I also note that in the picture is a 20 mph sign. If the car was within the limit it should have given the driver time to see, swerve and brake. In that case death would not be expected in hitting a normal fit individual well below 20mph. That's not to say it can't happen if the head hits a sharp or blunt object or it induces a trauma in the victim. But the presumption should be that the driver is at fault unless it can be shown otherwise.

That's what presumed liability is about which has been strongly resisted in the UK but not elsewhere. It does affect driver behaviour and in the messy field of road statistics shows it probably saves lives. Of course that does increase the probability of an innocent driver being held responsible which may be the case here. It depends which side you want to minimise the error. Life or liability (yes I deliberately loaded that question).

Here the police hands are very much tied unless they can show the driver was breaking the limit or there are a number of reliable witnesses or the victim was wearing a cam - which is what an increasing number of vulnerable road users are doing to protect themselves in the hopeful outcome they don't die in the crash.

Going back to my original point - in your experience in Sydenham - and Mayow Road what is the probability that motorist was doing <=20 mph. 100%, 50%, 10%?

I see this as a strong argument for the mandatory requirement for tachos in all motor vehicles so we would know more certainty if this driver was driving within or without the law. It would help protect all the innocent including the driver.

Might I suggest that maybe we should shift discussion raised but not pertinent to this particular incident (presumed liability, speed limits, tachos) over to the pub so as not to distract from the terrible grief of both the motorist's and victim's friends and relatives in this case.

Stuart
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Speculation is pointless. Anyone can post a scenario that fits the narrative the want to be true. Given the time this occurred it’s jut as easy to imagine a drunk individual wearing headphones stepping out unexpectedly right in front of a car offering he driver no chance at all. They are left with a lifetime of anguish through no fault of their own. But until details of the incident become clear I think it’s massively unfair to start betting on who’s at fault or demonising the driver with language which suggests this was intention or targeted
Carolinerosan

Post by Carolinerosan »

Has anyone got any information regarding this? We are desperately seeking witnesses