Waste Collection

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Re: Waste Collection

Post by simon »

Does anyone know where I can buy the food waste bags please?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sainsbury's sell them, and most other supermarkets too
alywin

Post by alywin »

Don't you have lockable bins? :?
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks, got some from the ever reliable Musti's.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Quick question : does anyone know when the next bin collection is due in light of Boxing Day falling on a Tuesday? Cheers!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

sophie

Post by sophie »

Thank you for posting the link.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Can I post in praise of our street cleaners? Yesterday the high street was like the aftermath of a war zone. Rubbish had been thrown and blown everywhere. Bins were beyond overflowing.

Then we saw two cleaners working their way up. One either side. Behind they were leaving an oasis of cleanliness and order.

Boxing Day for most of us a holiday. So qudos to those doing what we should have done. Keeping Sydenham tidy.

Thank you street cleaners.

Stuart
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I also saw a street cleaner at the lower end of the high street on Boxing Day and was quite impressed.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, street cleaners do a sterling job. Those carts must be heavy to push (often uphill) even when empty. If people cared more, the street cleaners' job would be easier.

I watched a dozen people avoid a toppled bin (I know not why or how it had fallen), so, hesitated, then made an attempt to put it upright to stop people walking into it in the gloom, or worse it rolling onto the road and potentially causing a traffic accident. I eventually succeeded with much effort (Superwoman I ain't) whilst people walked past watching me struggle. I would have asked for help except that now everything is "someone else's job", or passers-by would have helped without being asked wouldn't they?
simon

Post by simon »

I agree Stuart. Chatted to one of them at Angie's flower stall as he was about top tackle the mess outside the Sydenham Centre and the Post Office. He seemed undaunted. Well done to the street cleaners. Was a rotten day to be out.
syd

Post by syd »

I agree. I've noticed I don't have to clean rubbish out of my front garden as frequently as I used to. The street cleaners do a great job. It's a shame they had to work on Boxing Day though. What was the point in that when most people are away.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I am in total agreement about our road sweepers. In fact, if I can find out how to do it now you can’t email the environment team directly, I will let the council know.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I have just sent a compliment. If anyone else wants to compliment, comment or complain this link should help.

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcou ... fault.aspx
rustya

Post by rustya »

sophie wrote:I have just sent a compliment. If anyone else wants to compliment, comment or complain this link should help.

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcou ... fault.aspx

I too have sent my compliments.
Have definitely seen a marked improvement in the litter that used to blight the landscape.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

not sure if it's ok to put someones name up here, but a general email for highway related issues is Highways@Lewisham.gov.uk and i usually get a quick response from someone called Imogen Payami.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

admin wrote:Sainsbury's sell them, and most other supermarkets too
Does anyone know what size they are? Can't see the size on the caddy anywhere. Are they 12 ltr by any chance?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Does anyone know what size they are? Can't see the size on the caddy anywhere. Are they 12 ltr by any chance?
It usually says on the pack whether they are for the kitchen caddy (small) or kerbside caddy, but both are clearly marked as biodegradable for food waste and composting. I think the kitchen caddies are more like 5 ltr.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Thanks
alywin

Post by alywin »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
I think Sainsbury's are probably 12 l, although the tie handles and gathered bottom probably eat into that. I think Waitrose's (which don't have the tie handles) were 12 l, too. I don't understand why they're all so big, given that I thought caddies are 5 litres.