Waste Collection

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sophie

Waste Collection

Post by sophie »

Is everyone ready for the new collection schedule?
MagmaTimes

Re: Waste Collection

Post by MagmaTimes »

Sort of - remind me of what's changing? I'm putting out our food waste for the first time tomorrow. Is Tuesday still the day?
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Should be Tuesday. Black bin only collected every 2 weeks with food and recycle every week.

I put out food bin today and it wasn't bloomin' collected. Now stinks. what's more, you cannot report missed collections by phone anymore, only the online way, which in my experience has never worked. Is there anywhere we can take food rubbish to recycle other than the dump? Sainsbos for example??
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Well thank God mine was collected. I assumed once we got the bin we should start using it.

I've had food waste in there for 4 weeks...jeez the flies and smell.....!

thanks to guys who collected it this morning, it must have been toxic...!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

My black bin wasn't emptied today. So annoying :evil:
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Oh god 4 weeks! At least they lock quite well. The last time my black bin wasn't collected it got infested with maggots...my fault entirely due to chucking a sweet potato unbagged in there. Apparently once they are rotten they are Michelin star for flies. Who knew. Good job I hate sweet potato! Not sure why I had one in the first place!

Sorry if I put anyone off, it'll be fine so long as you eat them!

It is great that more recycling in place, the planet needs us more than ever right now. But they need to make sure they collect all the bins. It's easier to miss the small caddies if cars are parked along pavement I guess.
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

None of our bins were collected today either. Lewisham Council, via Twitter, said to e-mail envirocasework@lewisham.gov.uk with my request and address to get the collection made. I suggest others do the same. They've clearly got confused by their own schedule.....
appletree

Post by appletree »

Thanks for this info. They collected our black bin but not the food bin or the recycling. Really annoying you can't phone as when trying to register for the onlibe system it does not recognise my postcode....aargh....
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I live in a flat and our bins weren't emptied on Tue. And the recycling bin hasn't been emptied for 3 weeks.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yep, it worked well. We generally don't fill up our black bin every week anyway and empty it only every 2-3 weeks.
appletree

Post by appletree »

Got a quick response after emailing the address posted by Jacks.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Well our food waste wasn't collected which was really annoying. I had followed the council's instructions to the letter! I emailed the address I had which came back with an instruction to inform them via a form on the website which then wouldn't load. I chatted with one of my neighbours and it seems the whole street wasn't done. He is elderly and rightly commented that it is all getting very confusing. I have my fingers crossed for this Tuesday.
GillM

Post by GillM »

I too got a very prompt response from the email that Jacks posted.
alywin

Post by alywin »

You mean you had weekly rubbish collections until last week??!! Lucky beggars.
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Just wondering if anyone else is still having issues with black bin collection? We're on Silverdale and have been missed every single week, until last week they had missed us on Tuesday and then collected (after an email to the council) on Wednesday morning, but last week no collection and e-mailing didn't help (I guess they must be fed up of me chasing them) so we now have overflowing bins and no scheduled collection until next Tuesday - are we the only ones or are other people still having problems too?
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

We have the same problem on Sydenham Road at the Newlands Park junction. We have not had a scheduled black bin emptying in eight weeks now!

Regards
Chris
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

No black bin collection on Peak Hill Gardens today. Will give some email address a piece of my mind!
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

It amazes me that they managed to do it pretty well every week, but they can't manage to fit everyone in every other week....

I finally had an email from another person at the council, potentially the refuse manager, who basically said they are trying to provide a good service but there have a been a few teething problems that they're trying to put right....I'll be replying later to point out that two months of not collecting our bins isn't just a few teething problems....

I posted an email address above...keep emailing, I guess if we annoy them enough they might collect our bins eventually?
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Jacks wrote:It amazes me that they managed to do it pretty well every week, but they can't manage to fit everyone in every other week....
We used to have this issue when we lived down on Kent House Road. Weeks would go by with no bin collection. Eventually I got in touch with one of the local councillors and the whole thing got sorted instantaneously.

I'm guessing the whole fortnightly vibe might be causing communication issues between various departments and services. Who knows? It's not rocket science, is it?
John H

Post by John H »

Rest easy everyone. Bin collections continue as normal.... Black bins every other week... Green bins everyweek...

BUT

the food bins are generally empty as the foxes, cats and RATs have usually emptied the contents over the streets.

Half the rubbish from the green and black bins is strewn along the street because the binmen empty one bin into another and as they do half the contents are spilled. (Imagine .. we have wheelie bins because the bins are too heavy to lift! )

The street sweepers no longer visit so the streets of Sydenham are one massive rubbish heap.

Think before voting next time eh?