New Builds on Sydenham High Street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: New Builds on Sydenham High Street

Post by stuart »

Likelife wrote:Talking about new builds, wasn't there talk of doing something with Connaught Leisure?
There's a large pile of new bricks standing outside. Or is that for the property behind?

Stuart
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Slightly off the main topic/post but wanted to respond that I Definitely agree with the above comments about some of us (me included at times) falling foul of forgetting the positives of the high street.
A personal view is that there are elements of other areas I would ideally like to see in Sydenham. E.g: a shop like bunka in FH/Beckenham (as mentioned in another post) or a bar like a few of those in CP.

But when looking at other nearby forums over the past year or so there are a lot of things we have that others don't:
A wide variety of possible independent places to buy meat - FH only has a rather expensive butcher
A fishmonger - FH has only very recently acquired one
A greengrocer (plus PFC's selection) - neither FH or Penge has a dedicated one I believe
A health food shop - neither FH or Penge has one as far as I know
PFC / Istanbul for international foods - FH has no option like this I believe
A number of decent places for dinner (on the hoof, trat raff, the dolphin, Gurkhas, haven't been the golden lion of late) - Penge high street/area in comparison as relatively few
We did have a Lidl, co-op and Sainsbury's (bell green), and still have two supermarket options - FH only has Sainsbury's.
A large post office - FH does not have one
A bookshop
The Syd Centre and its events namely the stage productions and monthly film club
A cheap gym

I'll stop now I think.. not all of the above will be things that I use/like (no thanks gym, hello sofa!) and there are things I would like to change/be added but I try and appreciate the fact that we do have quite a decent high street with more choice or options then many nearby areas and try and "use it or lose it" and support what we do have.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Actually, JMLF, Penge has a few eating options for the evening -

Bridge House, Alexandra and Goldsmith's; Friends of Flavours (Italian), Belash tandoori, Serbet turkish, Creperie Chez Yves (Fr), Thai Jasmine, Reggae Spice, (WI), and Sicilian Art pizzeria.
Plus MacDonalds and KFC of course!!!!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Likelife wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:I'm curious to know whether anyone else has an issue with this development being done by a Guernsey registered company
No, not really. If the UK wants to crack down on tax avoidance it shouldn't allow its Overseas Territories and Crown Depdenances be Tax Havens. I can't blame someone for registering on different British soil to pay less tax. Is that morally wrong? Maybe. Would I be inclined to live in the tropical Caymans instead of cold England? Maybe. Is the Government going to force change anytime soon? No.

?
Tim I can see that in an ideal world it would be a UK registered company but as its not illegal, I think so be it and lets get the building done, looking ok on the High St,rather than the dumping ground that was there for so long!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

MikeJ - I'm not sure why my brain decided to go so black and white but I happened to just be thinking of the "high street" rather than side roads/other places in the area.

I'm between Sydenham and Penge so am very aware of the lovely Alex and the excellent friends of flavours but truth be told am aware but haven't really ventured up maple street - possibly a visit to the Thai or Creperie is in order!
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think the building themselves look good but the pavement now looks awful. I hope they will be restoring it.
prince

Post by prince »

sophie wrote:I think the building themselves look good but the pavement now looks awful. I hope they will be restoring it.
Hi Sophie,

I contacted the planning officer about this. Apparently the footway will be repaired once the building works are all completed.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

There are a few good sit-down eateries in Penge: Thai Delight and Chez Yves on Maple Road, Bella Luna pizza and Sicilian Art pizza on High St and Friends of Flavours on Green Lane. Plus the three gastropubs: Bridge House, Alex and Goldsmiths.

I live about 6 mins walk from Penge High St and 10 mins walk from Sydenham High St and to be honest I've not been to latter since Beer Rebellion shut. The drinking options (with Moon and Stars and Southey taproom in addition) are so much better in Penge. Hopefully I will revisit Sydenham occasionally when the Greyhound reopens.
sophie

Post by sophie »

prince wrote:
sophie wrote:I think the building themselves look good but the pavement now looks awful. I hope they will be restoring it.
Hi Sophie,

I contacted the planning officer about this. Apparently the footway will be repaired once the building works are all completed.

Thanks Prince. That is good to hear.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Anyone know what is happening to Connaught Leisure and the empty shot next to Trattoria Raffaele? The former has had bricks outside of it for months and the latter has some sort of equipment in it but nothing happening.
prince

Post by prince »

SydenhamOwl wrote:Anyone know what is happening to Connaught Leisure and the empty shot next to Trattoria Raffaele? The former has had bricks outside of it for months and the latter has some sort of equipment in it but nothing happening.
I understand that it is owned by a housing association and that they are converting to flats behind and an office to the front.