Big crash outside station - Sydenham road closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Big crash outside station - Sydenham road closed

Post by JMLF »

As it says on the tin. Just in case people were driving or taking the bus over the railway tracks at Sydenham it's currently a no go.
fishcox

Re: Big crash outside station - Sydenham road closed

Post by fishcox »

Any further info?
butters

Post by butters »

[quote][/quote]

I walked past it, saw some poor chap having the roof cut off his car by the fire brigade. was close to tears myseld, poor sod. hope everythings ok.

we neeeeed cameras on that road.
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

Had no accidents in thirty years until THAT junction,it needs fixing,inside lane for left only heading up the high street.
bjc

Post by bjc »

This is on the pelican crossing which is a bit odd.

AdM

Post by AdM »

I was there shortly after the crash happened. Difficult to understand how such a violent collision could have happened at such a busy time on a straight bit of road. I hope no pedestrians were caught by this.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

butters wrote:
I walked past it, saw some poor chap having the roof cut off his car by the fire brigade. was close to tears myseld, poor sod. hope everythings ok.

we neeeeed cameras on that road.
Not sure how speed cameras would have prevented this incident. I doubt anyone was going over 30mph. I've never seen a car going up Sydenham road at speed. Also no history of incidents here. Can't put cameras up everyime there's a single incident.

Cameras don't stop selfish driving and people using mobiles.
butters

Post by butters »

I disagree - I on a daily basis see

1: cars running red lights at speed
2: cars speeding when the traffic is clear

the junction at newlands park is particulary bad. I am not exaggerating when I say I see this every single day. This is in addition to cars parking off the junction, blocking busses, people pulling out onto the high street next to each other to queue into the traffic and blocking the road..... i dont think its speeding thats the exact cause, more like a melting pot of people who have no respect for road safety or the law and frequently break it. I always wait for the green man to cross the road and i have still nearly been nipped by a car speeding through a red light on a number of occasions.

Anyway, can only speculate for now whats happened this morning, and I do hope no one was seriously injured.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

My wife sees the same car - a black BMW - every morning, who cannot be bothered to queue in the traffic driving up the hill, and subsequently drives (at considerable speed) up the high street on the wrong side of the road, and cuts in further up.

She has reported it on a number of occasions, to the non-urgent community police number, but it would appear nothing has been done about it - as he is obviously still doing it.

No idea if this incident was related to the idiot in the BMW, but he's usually doing his 'I'm too important to queue' tricks at that time every morning.
simono

Post by simono »

The other please that is particularly dangerous is the roundabout at the bottom of Kirkdale/Westwood Hill. The number of people that come straight up Sydenham Road at speed and do not stop at the roundabout is huge. Anyone coming out of Spring Hill is taking their life in their hands. Similarly trying to get into the road. This is much worse now because of the high level of often inconsiderate parking by people going to Sainsbury's or the delivery lorries.
I think a speed hump on each junction might help to slow people down.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There has been a huge spate of really odd accidents around Sydenham recently. And they tend to be big ones. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it before.

I've noticed some bizarre driving since the 20mph speed limit has been introduced, which feels incredibly slow on some roads which are wide. While speed limits should be introduced and slower cars, without question result in less fatalities, It seems to have made a lot of drivers extremely aggressive. It seems to be more apparent around here than in other areas and I don't know why.

I've seen:
Someone driving up the pavement to get around traffic.
Numerous accidents.
Cars speeding when there is a gap.
Cars overtaking down the high street at speed slower moving cars.
Cars trying to get into any gap, on both sides, especially around the roundabout at Kirkdale.
Cars overtaking while you pull out of a junction on numerous occasion (this is a serious problem and extremely dangerous).
Cars overtaking cars who are already overtaking (so three abreast).

I expect more accidents of this nature, sadly. Perhaps we need more speed bumps on every road that is 20mph. I hate them, but perhaps they are needed (not the ones that encourage people to drive in the middle of the road either). These smart speed bumps look good:
https://hackaday.com/2017/08/14/smart-s ... ding-cars/
Larky

Post by Larky »

Cant really blame the 20mph speed limit for this Lee, it has always gone on
bjc

Post by bjc »

Thankfully no one is seriously hurt,
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15681 ... ef=mr&lp=2

So I think we can wildly speculate!....
There is a black cab stopped just past the lights outside Property World.
I think one of the black golfs tried to overtake the black cab and hit the other golf coming the other way...

To prove it I will need to get a copy of the accident reconstruction program used by Quincy M.E. in this classic episode: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0681871/
stuart

Post by stuart »

butters wrote:I disagree - I on a daily basis see

1: cars running red lights at speed
2: cars speeding when the traffic is clear
Yes, I cycle up and down there despite the lunacy of so many motorists. There are those that speed past you to break sharply to avoid the car in front leaving you nowhere to go. Those that can't complete the overtake and just pull in regardless - hello pavement!

The Le Mans starting line at the Newlands Park junction so often hosts a boy racer in the turning left lane whose sole object is to take the people in the correct lane on his right.

Of course, if one is so bold to tut-tut these people the explosion of rage/expletives is mind boggling. Oh, how I wish they could attach a blood pressure guage to the ignition system.

On second thoughts I must be the lunatic putting my life on the line here. When will those responsible take responsibility?

Stuart
stuart

Post by stuart »

bjc wrote:There is a black cab stopped just past the lights outside Property World
Highway Code Rule 243:
DO NOT stop or park:
- near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
bjc wrote:I think one of the black golfs tried to overtake the black cab and hit the other golf coming the other way...
Highway Code Rule 166:
DO NOT overtake if there is any doubt, or where you cannot see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe. For example, when you are approaching:
- a hump bridge
- the brow of a hill

Two wrongs make a crash? Remind me what the HC is for ...

Stuart
chris 1961

Post by chris 1961 »

Whilst everyone has speculated various causes of this crash, one possibility is that one of the cars may have turned right out of Silverdale without looking properly or misjudging the speed of oncoming car (as I have seen some do).
Main thing is nobody seems to be badly hurt.
bjc

Post by bjc »

stuart wrote:
Two wrongs make a crash? Remind me what the HC is for ...

Stuart
I was thinking the black cab was travelling at a safe velocity, an unsafe overtake was attempted by another car, hitting someone coming down the hill.

The black cab was safely pulled over in the parking bay. Just fabricating a story, since the newshopper (new shopper or news hopper?) says three vehicles involved.
stuart

Post by stuart »

chris 1961 wrote: one possibility is that one of the cars may have turned right out of Silverdale without looking properly or misjudging the speed of oncoming car (as I have seen some do).
Yes, its worse getting out of Station Approach. If they are coming over the bridge fast you have no chance of seeing them before you are committed. You can only hope they can stop in time. But still folks moan about 20mph limits.
chris 1961 wrote:Main thing is nobody seems to be badly hurt.
Only because the person hit was surrounded by the finest protection of moulded steel and air bags science can deliver. What about if they had hit a pedestrian or cyclist? This should serve as a grave (sic) warning - not a relief.

Stuart
Londonboy17

Post by Londonboy17 »

Hi,

Regarding the accident yesterday i was involved in it and was taken to hospital but i am back home now and making a full recovery absolutely devastated about the car but am thankful to be alive and that no-one else was seriously injured or killed by the stupidity of someone else driving.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi Londonboy17 and welcome to the forum : We'll all be delighted to hear that you are on the road to recovery and wish you fortitude to be able to put something so unnerving behind you.