Costcutter on Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
appletree

Costcutter on Kirkdale

Post by appletree »

Does anyone know what's up with Costcutter on Kirkdale? It suddenly closed on Wed and hasn't been open since. Sign on the door says "closed today."
juliam2016

Re: Costcutter on Kirkdale

Post by juliam2016 »

Costcutter's supplier, Palmer & Harvey, went into administration last week. The Co-op have taken over supply. It could be related to this, though not sure exactly how....

More on the collapse of P&H here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 82361.html
Last edited by juliam2016 on 3 Dec 2017 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
juliam2016

Post by juliam2016 »

Articles I've read have said that Costcutter franchisees would have the option of becoming Co-op stores, so maybe it'll re-open as a Co-op? It'd be a welcome change IMO, the current store looks shabby and run-down, and really brings down that row of shops..
juliam2016

Post by juliam2016 »

appletree

Post by appletree »

Thanks -- very interesting. A Coop would be great.
whittler

Post by whittler »

... the last changeover of management took the place downhill IMO and on several occasions when i've happened to be passing that end of Kirkdale in the very early hours i've seen someone basically sitting inside behind the counter, handing cans of booze through the hatch to a crowd of 'customers'! Did the licence for alcohol sales from the shop become 24hr at some point or was this always the case? If it's going to become a co-op that sounds positive, as maybe the place will be better managed and smartened up a bit.