Sydenham Society

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Sydenham Society

Post by Pally »

Pally wrote:I have deliberately taken time to think about the points/reasons given at the Sydenham Society before commenting as my initial reaction was irritation which is never a good place to post from!! (Once again I was disappointed not to be able to attend!!) (My comments are in Blue, sorry struggling with the quote thing on my phone!!! :?

Robin Orton wrote:At the SydSoc AGM this evening (very well-attended and very interesting) I asked whether the Society had adopted a policy to the effect that they should not use forums such as this to communicate with local people. The answer was no, but that individual officers and committee members, including some who in the past posted here in their official capacities, had decided to stop doing so. There were various reasons for this. They were unwilling to respond to hostile and negative posts from people who hid behind the veil of anonymity.(Hear, hear, say I).

They may not wish to respond to hostile and negative posts from people who hide behind the veil of anonymity. That does not address the fact that they do not reply to perfectly polite posts with helpful suggestions from posters (both anonymous and named!!) (Also worth noting that there are many reasons why people choose anonymity - in my case because of a very bad experience linked to a different forum ...but I am very happy to express my views openly at meetings, and have done so!!)

[/b][/i]The tone of the forum was uncomfortably macho and combative, and women in particular often found this difficult to deal with. There were only a comparatively small number of regular posters, many of us clearly angry old men, and SydSoc officials weren't prepared to give a high priority, in terms of their own time, to responding to us.

On occasions the tone of SOME posts on the forum become uncomfortably macho and combative. As a woman I find the excuse of women finding it difficult to cope with pretty pathetic but I suppose we are all different ...as of course are men!! There are many men and women on this forum who post politely, constructively and with genuine interest in Sydenham. They are completely ignored instead of relationships being fostered which might encourage constructive wider involvement in helping the Sydenham Society in its work!!

Some people who spoke nevertheless recognised that there were many interesting and useful postings on the forum. Its role in helping to develop the proposals for the new mural at Sydenham Station was particularly acknowledged.

It would be interesting to hear what others think.
It is good that that was acknowledged but pretty disappointing that when the potential for using this forum constructively is so clearly demonstrated, there appears to be no intention whatever to foster that potential in other areas and priorities. I find this very shortsighted and am surprised that it appears to be the case.

JRW

Post by JRW »

Pally,
I am also a woman, and post here regularly. I wont let it drive me away, but I do find the aggressive dominating manner of a few men amusing, irritating, and its relentness nature is offensive. Many posters are not interested in alternative viewpoints, they just want to get shouty.

As for fostering relations with the Syd Soc, it seems that this forum is behaving in quite the same way. No-one spoke as coming from the forum, and it would have been the perfect opportunity to build bridges. Not turning up sends the same sulky message as the forum gets from Syd Soc. We both have our uses, but there is no point in destroying any one of the organisations that is trying to improve Sydenham and its environment.
Pally

Post by Pally »

JRW wrote:Pally,
I am also a woman, and post here regularly. I wont let it drive me away, but I do find the aggressive dominating manner of a few men amusing, irritating, and its relentness nature is offensive. Many posters are not interested in alternative viewpoints, they just want to get shouty.

As for fostering relations with the Syd Soc, it seems that this forum is behaving in quite the same way. No-one spoke as coming from the forum, and it would have been the perfect opportunity to build bridges. Not turning up sends the same sulky message as the forum gets from Syd Soc. We both have our uses, but there is no point in destroying any one of the organisations that is trying to improve Sydenham and its environment.
Hi JRW I agree re some posters and not letting it drive me away - that's the point! As I said there are many like ourselves who post fairly regularly and politely and it is a pity that those types of post also get no response, I personally feel that is shortsighted within the context of how the forum could be used constructively, as with the mural.

Regarding attending, as I said I was disappointed to be unable to attend. If I had been there I would most definitely have commented as in my original post to the reasons etc given by the Sydenham Society for nor engaging. It is a great pity that no one else did.

Overall it seems that there is no desire to engage the forum and utilise the potential and that is a pity! The potential remains despite a few shouty, macho whatevers!