The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Monstrosity

Post by admin »

the building is now accommodating the school! They moved in on Monday I think.
JRW

Post by JRW »

.... and now they are demolishing the old buildings.

As St Philip Neri School has had its planning permission removed, I complained to planning, copied to everyone, up to, and including Ellie Reeves. Their occupation of the site creates further breaches of planning permission, as they were obliged to get the first building signed off by planning before moving in. This has been referred to Planning Enforcement, so hopefully they will take some action.

If you have issues with the quality of this development, you can email them at planningenforcement@lewisham.gov.uk. The more people that put in queries, the more seriously they will tackle the issues. If it is just me, they can claim I am an isolated objector.

If I had a child at the school, I would be concerned about the status of their insurance policies. As they are effectively squatting in a building site which is not yet signed off, the insurance might refuse to cover any claims.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Syd and frenzerin, would it be possible to modify the thread title to include the school name? People with an interest may overlook it otherwise. I tried to contact you with direct messages, but don't think they went through.
Cheers
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Monstrosity - ie St Philp Neri school building

Post by admin »

done!

admin
JRW

Post by JRW »

Cheers!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

It is quite amazing how this building got planning permission it completely doesn’t fit in with any of this surroundings at all. At least the residential buildings opposite (popular Terrace or something like that) had to be made to fit in with the Victorian building surrounding it and the one that it replaced years ago.
sydenhamgardener2

Post by sydenhamgardener2 »

Could you post a picture of it?
JRW

Post by JRW »

Can someone tell me how to upload photos here?
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

I am relatively new to this board and have tried to upload pictures without success.

I do not think you can upload a picture from your own pc/device.

You can link however to a picture that is already present on the web.

Admin can correct me if I am wrong.
JRW

Post by JRW »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am relatively new to this board and have tried to upload pictures without success.

I do not think you can upload a picture from your own pc/device.

You can link however to a picture that is already present on the web.

Admin can correct me if I am wrong.
you are correct!
admin
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Ta

John
Larky

Post by Larky »

I think that its the second new building that is going up that has the planning withdrawn, not the first new building.
JayB

Post by JayB »

It is amazing how at one end of Sydenham every last detail of any proposal, no matter how small or trivial is gone over with a fine tooth comb and yet in Lower Sydenham it seems anything goes eg a standard shop sign for Nandos has to be amended but this monstrosity- go ahead- Bell Green?-slap up adverts, faded trade banners, litter the place and don't clean it up, conflicting signage , all well and good. In fact so long as it is "down the road" do as you like for as cheap as you like. I do not believe that the existance of conservation area is the sole cause of this discrepancy.
syd

Post by syd »

JayB wrote:It is amazing how at one end of Sydenham every last detail of any proposal, no matter how small or trivial is gone over with a fine tooth comb and yet in Lower Sydenham it seems anything goes eg a standard shop sign for Nandos has to be amended but this monstrosity- go ahead- Bell Green?-slap up adverts, faded trade banners, litter the place and don't clean it up, conflicting signage , all well and good. In fact so long as it is "down the road" do as you like for as cheap as you like. I do not believe that the existance of conservation area is the sole cause of this discrepancy.
Yep we’re downwind so we don’t matter. Sports Direct with is breeze blocks not a problem but we must keep the gas towers which are a reminder that poor people didn’t get the best views.

It’s pretty outrageous perhaps there should be a lower Sydenham society for the riff raff!
JRW

Post by JRW »

OK, I have got a planning enforcement enquiry started, alerted Ellie Reeves, Liam Curran and Damien Egan. I don't want a cosy deal being struck which means we have to live with the current Monstrosity. Please join me on Twitter to keep reminding people this needs sorting. Search #stphilipneri #se26

If anyone knows how to copy my Twitter images to this site I'd be very grateful. If nothing else comes of it, I want to make Lewisham reconsider the current planning consultation process which had produced this mess.
syd

Post by syd »

JRW wrote:OK, I have got a planning enforcement enquiry started, alerted Ellie Reeves, Liam Curran and Damien Egan. I don't want a cosy deal being struck which means we have to live with the current Monstrosity. Please join me on Twitter to keep reminding people this needs sorting. Search #stphilipneri #se26

If anyone knows how to copy my Twitter images to this site I'd be very grateful. If nothing else comes of it, I want to make Lewisham reconsider the current planning consultation process which had produced this mess.
Prince, can you help? You did such a brilliant job with Nando's

Cheers,
Syd
JGD

Post by JGD »

If this is one of them let me know what others you want linked.

JRW

Post by JRW »

Thanks JGD, there are a couple more photos up, so do copy anything that is out there.

This is a call to arms for all the armchair objectors to act. Go onto Twitter and like, between my posts or do your own. It is very easy, and I only started using it very recently because if another planning campaign.

If you care about Lower Sydenham, then you need to act. It is no use complaining that some other outfit hasn't bothered. No one will listen to me if I am the only visible campaigner. Discussion on this forum is great, but it is hardly likely to raise the issue's profile.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

I agree the design is disappointing, given the opportunity for something more intelligent using brick or other materials.

Please can you explain more about the planning history that’s led to this? I saw the proposal to put fascia rather than timbers on the second wing had been rejected, but this looks similar to the scheme for the first wing as first proposed - but maybe I’m missing something?