Sydenham Farmers Market

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Clown

Sydenham Farmers Market

Post by The Clown »

Just received a leaflet and request to Like the following page to invite interest:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sydenham-Ma ... e_internal
juliam2016

Re: Sydenham Farmers Market

Post by juliam2016 »

Sundays would be good because we already have the Horniman and CP Markets on Sat. Is it possible to do stalls and things in front of/at the side of the Greyhound? Much more visibility and there's lots of space there.
alywin

Post by alywin »

There's a poll for you to fill in too.

I must say it sounds like a nice idea, but realistically it's a lot farther away from me than the old market, and I didn't exactly get to that one very often, so I'm not sure I'd visit very often. I could see a site somewhere nearer the railway station possibly bringing people in from further afield.
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

A farmers' market would be brilliant for Sydenham. The Crystal Palace Saturday market in Haynes Lane would serve as a good model. It's tucked away, but locals know it's there.

Also, the old Co-op would make a great indoor market. Those looking to open a business could rent a stall and not have all the costs associated with renting a high street shop. Peckham has a couple of indoor markets, and they seem to work.
JRW

Post by JRW »

A farmers market would be brilliant, and I think would attract more custom than the current market stalls. They seem to focus on gifts and luxuries which are absolutely lovely, but expensive for everyday use. Great at Christmas etc, but bound to struggle in the local economy.

It also seems a good idea for the pub to attract custom, and a Sunday morning market could do well for them in attracting people for lunch. If a couple of stalls were in front of the pub, it would signpost the main market in the rear carpark. In all, I hope they go for it.

On the subject of indoor markets, it would be a great use for the old sorting office. Is it being used, or is it still mothballed? It is a crying shame that such an iconic local landmark isn't being used or appreciated.