Poundstretcher in old co-op site

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
KifShawski

Re: Poundstretcher in old co-op site

Post by KifShawski »

The lights remain on as a deterrent for anyone to break in / squatters. They would remain visible day and night. Additionally the cost to evict vs cost of energy is a factor. Its much cheaper to leave the lights on.
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

KifShawski wrote:The lights remain on as a deterrent for anyone to break in / squatters. They would remain visible day and night. Additionally the cost to evict vs cost of energy is a factor. Its much cheaper to leave the lights on.
Not sure wat people wouldn’t break into a shop that’s been empty since March 17 just cause lights on? Not sure how it work but do the owners still have to pay local tax’s/rates while it’s left empty ?
ChMagma

Post by ChMagma »

the last thing we need is another puondshop. It would be good to see a nice supermarket, an alternative to Lidl and definitively better than Lidl
chris 1961

Post by chris 1961 »

Heard a rumour over the weekend from somebody that claims to have seen the approved plans, that the site will become a Wetherspoons pub.
Can't see that working myself as there is already a decent choice of pubs that serve food along Sydenham Road.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

chris 1961 wrote:Heard a rumour over the weekend from somebody that claims to have seen the approved plans, that the site will become a Wetherspoons pub.
Can't see that working myself as there is already a decent choice of pubs that serve food along Sydenham Road.
Noooooooooo!!! Please no. :oops: :oops: :oops:
RJM

Post by RJM »

chris 1961 wrote:Heard a rumour over the weekend from somebody that claims to have seen the approved plans, that the site will become a Wetherspoons pub.
No sign of it on the Lewisham planning portal - and it would definitely need planning permission as it's a change of use. Plus would cost a fortune to kit out properly!
chris 1961

Post by chris 1961 »

RJM wrote:
No sign of it on the Lewisham planning portal - and it would definitely need planning permission as it's a change of use. Plus would cost a fortune to kit out properly!
I said just about the same, but the person was pretty sure of himself adding that the Capitol in Forest Hill will shut soon which is why Wetherspoons are looking to open a new pub close by.
I just put this up to see if anybody else had heard anything as it looks like the Poundstretcher possibility will not happen now.
JRW

Post by JRW »

It would make a lot more sense if they opened one at Bell green, in one of the empty shop units. Lots of people wanting a break after shopping.
parker

Post by parker »

JRW wrote:It would make a lot more sense if they opened one at Bell green, in one of the empty shop units. Lots of people wanting a break after shopping.
What empty shop units? Toys R Us? :?
JRW

Post by JRW »

Yes, or one of the others, whose future has to be dodgy. Ever seen Next busy? I would suggest, though, that they take over the Sainsbury's cafe. It is a underused, huge space, and would be a huge success, I'm sure.
parker

Post by parker »

JRW wrote:Yes, or one of the others, whose future has to be dodgy. Ever seen Next busy? I would suggest, though, that they take over the Sainsbury's cafe. It is a underused, huge space, and would be a huge success, I'm sure.
While Sainsbury’s are offloading space to different retailers I’d doubt it would look very ethical sticking a pub in there too, in front of the biggest car park for miles and miles :lol:
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

[quote= but the person was pretty sure of himself adding that the Capitol in Forest Hill will shut soon which is why Wetherspoons are looking to open a new pub close by.[/quote]

From what I've heard, the Capitol at Forest Hill isn't closing soon.
stuart

Post by stuart »

syd-gal wrote:From what I've heard, the Capitol at Forest Hill isn't closing soon.
It's been closing soon for at least five years ...

Stuart
JRW

Post by JRW »

They have Weatherpoons at motorway service stations now......
parker

Post by parker »

JRW wrote:They have Weatherpoons at motorway service stations now......
I know, they have one! Doubt the chances of one opening in a retail park around here are very high though. Personally, I’d love to see what they could do with the old Co-op site, Wetherspoon restore the most outlandish variation of buildings beautifully. Better than it being a Poundstretcher or budget supermarket too.
JRW

Post by JRW »

I am still hoping for Iceland.... Not just because of the weather either!
alywin

Post by alywin »

My guess would be that the one in Penge is too close.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Wetherspoons state on their website that they are looking for more sites throughout the UK and are asking for suggestions. Their requirements such as size are set out. They also stipulate that there must be external areas.

Anyone having any suggestions for sites is asked to complete and submit the form displayed on the website.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Still absolutely zero sign of anything happening with this...
Andyb

Post by Andyb »

Nearly 2years now and still empty and my redundancy penny’s have run out so back on the job hunt😔 would make a great shop for some company 🤞🏻