Redevelopment of 278-280 Kirkdale (by railway bridge)

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

Does anyone know when the two shacks by the railway bridge are going to be demolished to make way for the new building.

Also I've heard rumours that the ground floor may be being run by the guys behind the EDT in East Dulwich?...... fingers crossed.....

Link to Lewisham planning site on this building:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=51330
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

charlieandpip -

Yes you're right - this is a very exciting development.

The owner tells us that building work will start in the summer. He'd like to have started earlier but is busy with a number of other developments at present.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

And as the scaffolding comes down on this development, the new residential units are being advertised at http://www.acornnewhomes.co.uk/our-deve ... partments/.
Tim Lund

Re: Redevelopment of 278-280 Kirkdale (by railway bridge)

Post by Tim Lund »

Anyone know what sort of business will be coming in on the ground floor?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Use class A1 retail and A3 restaurant have been agreed today. The developer will now be able to test the market.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Is there any news on who or what may occupy the ground floor of the Orb? Fingers crossed for something exciting...
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

For Gods sake, I hope not retail. We need the top end of Sydenham to be our magnet to attract visitors so eating and drinking would be my priority. It would also hopefully complement the Greyhound development.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Well said. Yes, It needs to be something special, perhaps a nice deli or a restaurant to compliment the new greyhound bar .. I even think a 'posh' burger place would work - of the GBK or Byron ilk.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I think it will be something good. I've heard the developer is very keen to have something that works and fits in with the development, which I think looks great.

G-man
Carlw

Post by Carlw »

sydenhamboy wrote:Well said. Yes, It needs to be something special, perhaps a nice deli or a restaurant to compliment the new greyhound bar .. I even think a 'posh' burger place would work - of the GBK or Byron ilk.
What I would give for Honest Burger to open up a joint in Sydenham...
FromCtoShiningC

Yes - it deserves to be a landmark venture for such a landmark building. It's not my favoured choice of architecture, I must admit - anything post c.1900 is too modern for me! - however, it does have a certain 'look' and it would be a crying shame if a less than salbubrious occupier opened up....

If anyone does know more, please post... :)
FromCtoShiningC

Is there any news on this? the workmen seem to be finishing things off. I have enquired, but the people around the site don't apear to know what shop/company etc will be in the retail unit.....

I think this will be a pivotal movement for Sydenham and the High Street - get it right, and this could really represent a shift change in the experience at the High St/Kirkdale end of town.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Latest news is that the developer has not yet started to market the commercial unit yet, as it is still being cleared out/prepared.
FromCtoShiningC

I see the advertising is up for the development within the Orb.... any rumours on who will take that spot? It's a great position, with plenty of footfall (and opposite the Greyhound which is emerging to take its rightful place in Sydenham)...
alywin

Post by alywin »

Is this the white and black building by the bridge? I passed it the other day: looks very swish, although I'm not sure I like the juxtaposition with the Victorian buildings next door.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

D-W wrote:Has anyone else seen that the new units just beside the DIY store appear to have filled in the whole in the pavement in front of the units with the same black bitumin type material? It looks awful. Anyone know if there are plans to put anything over it or whether it is actually it is part of their property that they can fill how they like? Or even whether it was them that filled it as opposed to the council? Really brings the look of the retail unit behind down.
I have asked Lewisham Council's planning enforcement team to investigate.

I will also ask Pat Trembath of the Sydenham Society to speak to the developer, as I believe she is in touch with them.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
D-W wrote:Has anyone else seen that the new units just beside the DIY store appear to have filled in the whole in the pavement in front of the units with the same black bitumin type material? It looks awful. Anyone know if there are plans to put anything over it or whether it is actually it is part of their property that they can fill how they like? Or even whether it was them that filled it as opposed to the council? Really brings the look of the retail unit behind down.
I have asked Lewisham Council's planning enforcement team to investigate.

I will also ask Pat Trembath of the Sydenham Society to speak to the developer, as I believe she is in touch with them.
I've received the following reply from the transport team at Lewisham Council:
We are currently liaising with the developer who has paid us a sum of money to reinstate the footway, but we will not be doing this until they have completely finished their works to the new building.
Good news! (And credit to Lewisham Council officers for their speedy response.)
D-W

Post by D-W »

That's great, and a relief. Thanks Biscuitman.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Details of the commercial unit are now available on Acorn's website: http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... ndon-8529/

Acorn don't seem to have a very clear idea what the unit can be used for. Strangely:
- The particulars for the unit (at http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/files/ ... 26lr-1.pdf) say A1
- The top of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is A1/A3 (with A2 available subject to change of use)
- The bottom of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is only available on an A1/A2 basis

Confusing, eh?!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Details of the commercial unit are now available on Acorn's website: http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... ndon-8529/

Acorn don't seem to have a very clear idea what the unit can be used for. Strangely:
- The particulars for the unit (at http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/files/ ... 26lr-1.pdf) say A1
- The top of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is A1/A3 (with A2 available subject to change of use)
- The bottom of the shopfront hoarding says the unit is only available on an A1/A2 basis

Confusing, eh?!
For what it's worth, Acorn tell me that the owner would prefer a shop or a coffee shop, rather than a restaurant operator (as a restaurant would create 'smells and noise issues' for the flats above).